No announcement yet.

Franchise all-time line ups by best year by a player

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In 2003 Rob Neyer released his book called Rob Neyer's Big Book of Baseball Lineups: A Complete Guide to the Best, Worst, and Most Memorable Players to Ever Grace the Major Leagues covering this subject.

Neyer book cover.jpg

Here is Neyer's selections for the the NY/SF Giants all time single seasons per position. I would replace Roger Bresnahan with Buster Posey's 2012 MVP season. Will Clark 1989 over Willie McCovey's 1969 season is an interesting selection as is Devlin over Matt Williams or Jimmy Ray Hart.

NY-SF Giants all time single season.jpg
    Last edited by Honus Wagner Rules; 12-11-2014, 12:17 PM.
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

You should split up your Giants between NY and SF, HWR. It looks too weird seeing them all mixed up like that. Actually, I am just trying to campaign for Robby Thompson getting the second base job! But, I know you guys would waste that spot with some joker like Jeff Kent. Blah.
      "It ain't braggin' if you can do it." Dizzy Dean

Comment

Originally posted by pheasant View Post
        Twins:

1B Morneau 2006, MVP, 34 HR, 130 RBI, .321/.375/.559
        2b Carew 1977, MVP, .388 avg
        SS Versalles 1965, MVP, led league in TB, runs scored, doubles, and triples, won GG,
        3B Killebrew 1969-MVP, 49 HR, 140 RBI, led league with .427 OB%,
        RF-Oliva 1964, ROY away, led league in avg, runs, hits, doubles, and total bases(374)
        CF-Puckett 1988-234 hits, 24 HR, 121 RBI and .356 avg..led league with 358 TB
        LF-Allison 1963-lead league in runs scored, OPS, and OPS+, hit 35 HRS
        C mauer 2009-MVP, won percentage triple crown, hit .365 as a catcher!

Scott Erickson 1991—20-8, 135 ERA+
        Santana 2004- 20-6, 2.61 ERA, 182 ERA+, 228 IP
        Viola 1988- 24-7, 2.64 ERA, 255.1 IP, 154 ERA+
        Alan Anderson 1988- 16-9, league leading 166 ERA+ and 2.45 ERA
        Jim Kaat 1966, 25-13, league-leading 304.2 IP, 131 ERA+
        Blyleven 1973, 20-17, league leading 9 shutouts and 156 ERA+, 325 IP

Joe Nathan 2006—7-0 record, 1.58 ERA, 36 saves, 284 ERA+ in 68.1 IP
        Aguilara 1991—69.0 IP, 183 ERA+, 42 saves
        I grew up with the Twins. I hate to rain on your parade more, but Allison didn't play LF at all in 1963, not even an inning. He played RF, Killebrew played left and Rich Rollins played 3B.

You may also want to consider Camilo Pascual in 1963. 21-9, 2.46, 202 ks (lead league), 148 ERA+
        Last edited by JR Hart; 12-11-2014, 01:30 PM.
        This week's Giant

#5 in games played as a Giant with 1721 , Bill Terry

Comment

Originally posted by Herr28 View Post
          You should split up your Giants between NY and SF, HWR. It looks too weird seeing them all mixed up like that. Actually, I am just trying to campaign for Robby Thompson getting the second base job! But, I know you guys would waste that spot with some joker like Jeff Kent. Blah.
          I consider the NY/SF Giants to be one franchise but Rob Neyer did list an all-time SF Giants team as well. I would replace Tom Haller with Buster Posey.

Neyer SF Giants alltime team.jpg
          Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Yuck. That is what I am talking about. No class. Jeff Kent. HA! Robby Thompson was the man at second base, forget that joker Kent. Haller is a great choice when he wrote this, or would you still replace him with somebody else at that point? Terry Kennedy would be a great fit. . .

Comment

No Brad Radke?! Have you completely gone bonkers up there pheasant? I know it gets cold this time of year, but c'mon man. It isn't like I am pushing for Mike Smithson or Joe Mays. Radke was the man!
              I was thinking of Pete Redfern. I couldn't put Hrbek on the list because I wanted to give other teams a chance. A team with Hrbek is too good.

Comment

Originally posted by willshad View Post
                It's weird that in sixty years the Dodgers have not had a really great season by a first baseman.
                Someone had better hold me back... Herr28?
                Your Second Base Coach
                Garvey, Lopes, Russell, and Cey started 833 times and the Dodgers went 498-335, for a .598 winning percentage. That’s equal to a team going 97-65 over a season. On those occasions when at least one of them missed his start, the Dodgers were 306-267-1, which is a .534 clip. That works out to a team going 87-75. So having all four of them added 10 wins to the Dodgers per year.
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5hCIvMule0

Comment

Originally posted by Second Base Coach View Post
                  Someone had better hold me back... Herr28?
                  Go git him! Just let me get my popcorn ready and then go!

Comment

Yuck. That is what I am talking about. No class. Jeff Kent. HA! Robby Thompson was the man at second base, forget that joker Kent.
                    I love Robby Thompson but Kent is a future Hall of Famer and most of his HoF seasons came as a Giant.

Haller is a great choice when he wrote this, or would you still replace him with somebody else at that point? Terry Kennedy would be a great fit. . .
                    The only other real competition Haller had before Buster Posey showed up was Bob Brenley.

Comment

Go git him! Just let me get my popcorn ready and then go!
                      He must have heard of Wes Parker's magical 1970 season.

Fluke, sure.... but terrific anyway.
                      Your Second Base Coach
                      Garvey, Lopes, Russell, and Cey started 833 times and the Dodgers went 498-335, for a .598 winning percentage. That’s equal to a team going 97-65 over a season. On those occasions when at least one of them missed his start, the Dodgers were 306-267-1, which is a .534 clip. That works out to a team going 87-75. So having all four of them added 10 wins to the Dodgers per year.
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5hCIvMule0

Comment

How about my Dodgers? I will give you two teams, one from Brooklyn and one from Los Angeles

Brooklyn Dodgers on the left and the Los Angeles Dodgers on the right
                        C- Roy Campanella 1953............................Mike Piazza 1997
                        1B- Gil Hodges 1954.................................Eddie Murray 1990
                        2B- Jackie Robinson 1949..........................Steve Sax 1986
                        3B- Jimmy Johnston 1921..........................Adrian Beltre 2004
                        SS- Pee Wee Reese 1949..........................Maury Wills 1962
                        LF- Zack Wheat 1924...............................Pedro Guerrero 1985
                        CF- Duke Snider 1953..............................Matt Kemp 2011
                        RF- Babe Herman 1930............................Shawn Green 2001
                        Boy, I'd have to go with Tommy Davis' incredible 62 season over Pedro in LF. 2/3 of a TC...avg .346/ RBI 153, plus lead the NL with 230 hits. Also scored 120 runs and hit 27 HR's, impressive in Dodger Stadium before they moved fences in a bit.
                        It Might Be? It Could Be?? It Is!

Comment

SF Giants

C Posey 2012
                          1b McCovey 1969
                          2b kent 2000
                          SS Aurillia 2001
                          3B M Williams 1994
                          LF Ba Bonds 2001
                          CF Mays 1965
                          RF Bo Bonds 1970
                          DH Cepeda 1961

SP Marichal 1963
                          SP Lincecum 2008
                          SP J Schmidt 2003
                          SP G Perry 1969
                          SP Montefusco 1975

CL LaVelle 1977
                          This week's Giant

#5 in games played as a Giant with 1721 , Bill Terry

Comment

Originally posted by 64Cards View Post
                            Boy, I'd have to go with Tommy Davis' incredible 62 season over Pedro in LF. 2/3 of a TC...avg .346/ RBI 153, plus lead the NL with 230 hits. Also scored 120 runs and hit 27 HR's, impressive in Dodger Stadium before they moved fences in a bit.
                            That makes for an interesting sabermetric vs traditional stats debate. Davis in 1962 was great at all the things that sabermetrics doesn't care about.. batting average, hits, RBI. He out RBIed Guerrero 153-87, and outhit him .346 to .320, Yet, Guerrero had more WAR, 7.9 to 6.0, despite playing in 26 less games.

Comment

He must have heard of Wes Parker's magical 1970 season.

Fluke, sure.... but terrific anyway.
                              What? No love for Eric Karros?

Comment

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
                                In 2003 Rob Neyer released his book called Rob Neyer's Big Book of Baseball Lineups: A Complete Guide to the Best, Worst, and Most Memorable Players to Ever Grace the Major Leagues covering this subject.

[ATTACH]144180[/ATTACH]

Here is Neyer's selections for the the NY/SF Giants all time single seasons per position. I would replace Roger Bresnahan with Buster Posey's 2012 MVP season. Will Clark 1989 over Willie McCovey's 1969 season is an interesting selection as is Devlin over Matt Williams or Jimmy Ray Hart.

[ATTACH]144179[/ATTACH]
                                That book's one of my favorites.
                                46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X