Best Outfield Arm Ever:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Outfield Arm Ever:

I'd like to see some of your Top 10's, for Best Outfield Arm Ever.

1. Bob Meusel
    2. Roberto Clemente
    3. Joe Jackson
    4. Willie Mays
    5. Babe Ruth
    6. Tris Speaker
    7. Ichiro Suzuki
    8. Vladimir Guerrero
    9. Jesse Barfield
    10. Carl Furillo

Honorable Mentions: Happy Felsch, Duffy Lewis, Harry Hooper, Jimmie McAleer.

I'm not that familiar with this particular topic, and am open to suggestions. My own selections do not really satisfy me.
    Last edited by Bill Burgess; 01-29-2006, 04:04 PM.

Of the players I have seen I would rank them like this:

1) Dwight Evans
    2) Dave Parker
    3) Ellis Valentine
    4) Larry Parrish
    5) Ichiro

There are many others but these five all had great arms. Dwight Evans had perfect footwark on his throws as well.
    "Batting slumps? I never had one. When a guy hits .358, he doesn't have slumps."

Rogers Hornsby, 1961

Comment

Like the lists. I'd also add Vladimir Guerrero and Jeff Francoeur (although inclusion of the latter may be a bit too premature).
      Last edited by rsuriyop; 01-28-2006, 08:12 AM.
      "Age is a question of mind over matter--if you don't mind, it doesn't matter."
      -Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected]
        I'd like to see some of your Top 10's, for Best Arm Ever.

1. Bob Meusel
        2. Roberto Clemente
        3. Joe Jackson
        4. Willie Mays
        5. Babe Ruth
        6. Tris Speaker
        7. Ichiro Suzuki
        8. Harry Hooper
        9. Duffy Lewis
        10. Jimmie McAleer

Honorable Mentions: Bill Lange, Max Carey, Happy Felsch.

I'm not that familiar with this particular topic, and am open to suggestions. My own selections do not really satisfy me.
        No Vladimir Guerrero, Bill? I've seen both him and Ichiro, and while Ichiro certainly has a great arm, he doesn't compare to Vlad.

I never got to see him, but I've heard others rave about the arm of Jesse Barfield. Stats seem to support the claim he had a TREMENDOUS arm. He had three 20+ assist seasons and his career low for a full season was 12 assists. He is second all time in assists per inning I believe.
        Last edited by 538280; 01-27-2006, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 538280
          No Vladimir Guerrero, Bill? I've seen both him and Ichiro, and while Ichiro certainly has a great arm, he doesn't compare to Vlad.
          I disagree. Vlad's arm is not that accurate. Ichiro's arm strength is 98% of Vlads & Ichiro has the accuracy of a lasar beam.

Comment

Originally posted by Joltin' Joe
            I disagree. Vlad's arm is not that accurate. Ichiro's arm strength is 98% of Vlads & Ichiro has the accuracy of a lasar beam.
            Vlad got a reputation for having an inaccurate arm from his younger years, when it was innaccurate. He's gotten much better over the years and now is very accurate. Vlad does still seem to carry that hanging reputation though.

Comment

Ichiro is the better fielder, but Vlad has the stronger arm

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected]
                I'd like to see some of your Top 10's, for Best Arm Ever.

1. Bob Meusel
                2. Roberto Clemente
                3. Joe Jackson
                4. Willie Mays
                5. Babe Ruth
                6. Tris Speaker
                7. Ichiro Suzuki
                8. Harry Hooper
                9. Duffy Lewis
                10. Jimmie McAleer

Honorable Mentions: Bill Lange, Max Carey, Happy Felsch.

That's awful high for Willie. Just in the centerfield category, Mantle and Andruw would be ahead of him wouldn't they?

I'd put Ichiro in the top 3, Clemente top 3, and Meusel in the top 3 (biggest waste of talent perhaps in history. Was once quoted saying something to the effect of "hustling is over-rated.")

Babe somewhere in the top 12, and Speaker in the top 20. He was smart, and had a quick release, but his shallow play led to most of his success.

How bout Jesse Barfield?
                Last edited by Sultan_1895-1948; 01-27-2006, 08:14 PM.

Comment

Barfield definitely should be on any list. He had the best arm I've ever seen. Mark Whiten had a tremendous arm, too.

Comment

Dwight Evans

Mondesi - didn't he get a "El Cannon" tattoo on his right arm? lol

Comment

Ichiro's arm is so strong, but is also unbelievably accurate.

Comment

How about Al Kaline?
                        Bobby Higginson had a very accurate arm.
                        Chairman Emeritus of the r/baseballHOF

Comment

Lou Pinella

during an interview with ESPN MAG "... with a few things he had to say about Ichiro, such as, he's the best defensive rightfielder I've ever seen. Yes, that list would include the likes of Dwight Evans, Dave Parker and even the late, great Roberto Clemente."

Not a bad group. All three had great arms as does Ichiro. Of course, when he first came into the league it was fun watching teams try and run on him.
                          Johnny
                          Delusion, Life's Coping Mechanism

Comment

Originally posted by Sultan_1895-1948
                            That's awful high for Willie. Just in the centerfield category, Mantle and Andruw would be ahead of him wouldn't they?
                            Agree on Mays, disagree on Mantle having the better arm. By all accounts, Mantle was one of the strongest human beings to ever play the game, but I've never heard raves about his arm. Mays is too high on this list, though. I do think that Muesel has to be first, which makes the outfield trio of Meusel-Ruth-Combs one of the oddest ever, with two guys who were ok fielders with spectacular arms and one guy who could have been an all time great defender if he had an arm.
                            "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

Comment

Originally posted by ElHalo
                              Agree on Mays, disagree on Mantle having the better arm. By all accounts, Mantle was one of the strongest human beings to ever play the game, but I've never heard raves about his arm. Mays is too high on this list, though. I do think that Muesel has to be first, which makes the outfield trio of Meusel-Ruth-Combs one of the oddest ever, with two guys who were ok fielders with spectacular arms and one guy who could have been an all time great defender if he had an arm.
                              Glad you mentioned Mantle, I was wondering about that. I know he was freaky genetically, and I've heard good things about his arm, just maybe not "all-time" good things about it. Mays is definately too high. What are your thoughts on Speaker, Lewis, and Hooper El Halo? It's a shame that trio couldn't stick together past age 27.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X