Sandy Koufax-Larry King

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sandy Koufax-Larry King

I use to listen to Larry King back when he use to do a midnight radio show. On many occassions he would talk about growing up in Brooklyn and tell a story or two -very funny ones- about being good friends with Sandy Koufax.
    Recently a friend told me that that wasn't necessarily true.
    Anyone have info on this?
    Last edited by johnny; 02-05-2006, 12:27 PM.
    Johnny
    Delusion, Life's Coping Mechanism

Johnny, I was reading the same thing the other day, maybe USA Today, about fabrications that have come out in some bios. In King's first bio he said he and Koufax went out together and ended up going to New Haven trying to find some ice cream or something. Koufax later said he had never known Larry King.

Doesn't surprise me. King is an el supremo name-dropper and bs artist.
    It Might Be? It Could Be?? It Is!

Comment

Koufax after Kings use of his name as friend and running buddy, high school teammate and anything else larry could think of , finally came public, ala Howard Hughes and Clifford Irving, and stated unequivocaly that he" never met , knew or spent time with Larry King" Koufax, intensely private had finally had enough and king was forced to relent. Unfortunately he had used the lie so often and for so long the retraction was hardly remembered.

Comment

thanks

Thanks guys.
        I had someone email me that Larry King did time for embezzlement or some such activity connected with Jim Garrison (of JFK assasination fame) back in the late 60's. I guess I need to do a little more research.
        In regards to his show, I do find King inane and highly superficial. If I wanted a softball place to do an appearance I think that would be the spot.
        Johnny

Comment

Originally posted by johnny
          Thanks guys.
          I had someone email me that Larry King did time for embezzlement or some such activity connected with Jim Garrison (of JFK assasination fame) back in the late 60's. I guess I need to do a little more research.
          In regards to his show, I do find King inane and highly superficial. If I wanted a softball place to do an appearance I think that would be the spot.
          I haven't heard that, but supposedly did have a huge gambling problem.

Comment

ah i just checked wikpedia

i guess here is another reason why Sandy Koufax resents being associated with Larry King. at the website below is an interesting picture of Larry.

http://www.mugshots.org/hollywood/larry-king.html

Here is the scoop.
            Arrested in Miami on December 20, 1971 on charges of grand larceny, Larry King was in debt to sustain an extravagant lifestyle among other things. There is a connection here to the Kennedy Assassination, as the debt which prompted this arrest was apparently regarding a loan to a financial backer of Jim Garrison. Garrison was the Louisiana district attorney quasi-offically investigating Kennedy's death.

Legal and financial troubles

In the early 1970s, he was entangled in legal and financial troubles. He was arrested on December 20, 1971 and charged with grand larceny. The charges stemmed from a deal he had made with Louis Wolfson. In 1968, Wolfson was convicted of selling unregistered stock.
            The circumstances are unclear. According to King, he told Wolfson that he could arrange a special investigation by John Mitchell, the incoming US Attorney General, to overturn the conviction. Wolfson agreed, and paid King $48,000. King never delivered, and couldn't pay back the money. When Wolfson was released from prison, he went after King. According to Wolfson, King served as an intermediary between Wolfson and New Orleans District Attorney Jim Garrison. Garrison was investigating the assassination of President Kennedy, but needed to raise funds for the investigation. Wolfson offered to pay $25,000 to help fund the investigation. The arrangement was that Wolfson gave Larry King cash (about $5,000 per visit). King was supposed to give this to Richard Gerstein, the State Attorney for Dade County, Florida. Gerstein was to transfer the money to Garrison. This took place over a year or two. Wolfson eventually found that not all the money he gave to King made it to Garrison. The larceny charge was dropped, because the statute of limitations had run out. But King pled no contest to one of 14 charges of passing bad checks. As a result of these troubles, he was off the air for three years. During those three years he worked several jobs. He was the PR director at a race track in Louisiana and he wrote some articles for Esquire Magazine, including a major piece on New York Jets quarterback Joe Namath.
            [edit]
            Johnny

Comment

Who cares? Honestly, I don't think I've ever once in my life seen a Larry King show. What difference does it make to anyone? I don't care about soft entertainment news, and if I want real news, I'm most assuredly not getting it from television (although I will pop on the BBC when I happen to see it on). But what does this have to do with anything?
              "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

Comment

Originally posted by ElHalo
                Who cares? Honestly, I don't think I've ever once in my life seen a Larry King show. What difference does it make to anyone? I don't care about soft entertainment news, and if I want real news, I'm most assuredly not getting it from television (although I will pop on the BBC when I happen to see it on). But what does this have to do with anything?
                errr...just completing the thread. sorry if it offends you dude.
                i am sure all 9 thousand of your posts were stellar. such as that recent thread you started in which you discussed the quandry you have with some baseball friends and riffed on that for about 300 words.
                Last edited by johnny; 02-05-2006, 08:46 PM.
                Johnny

Comment

Ole Larry was persona non grata for quite some time in Florida . I felt bad for Koufax , baseballs Gretta Garbo.

Comment

i am sure all 9 thousand of your posts were stellar. such as that recent thread you started in which you discussed the quandry you have with some baseball friends and riffed on that for about 300 words.
                    johnny - welcome to bbf - feel free to discuss what you like - there is a clique here that apparently believes they own this forum - all they want to discuss is the hall of famers and who they believe is the best this week at whatever and if you differ with their opinions you get this holier than thou speech about their moral and intellectual superiority - you can see the arrogance and hidden agenda in such statements as i'm too good for tv and i'm so sophisticated that i only watch the bbc - your topic has relevance and i found it a little amusing - keep plugging away

Comment

Originally posted by bkmckenna
                      johnny - welcome to bbf - feel free to discuss what you like - there is a clique here that apparently believes they own this forum - all they want to discuss is the hall of famers and who they believe is the best this week at whatever and if you differ with their opinions you get this holier than thou speech about their moral and intellectual superiority - you can see the arrogance and hidden agenda in such statements as i'm too good for tv and i'm so sophisticated that i only watch the bbc - your topic has relevance and i found it a little amusing - keep plugging away
                      I second that.

There are many of us here who enjoy the stories, johnny.

I may not reply or comment, but you can bet I'm reading them.
                      "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
                      Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Originally posted by runningshoes53
                        I second that.

There are many of us here who enjoy the stories, johnny.

I may not reply or comment, but you can bet I'm reading them.
                        Ditto. Larry King professes to be the worlds biggest baseball fan and a supreme authority on the game. I can remember, years back, ,when he had a weekly column in USA Today, that among some of things he assured us were "mortal locks" was the impending move of the Houston Astros to DC and his good pal Tommy LaSorda taking managerial jobs with the Cubs, Yanks and O's.

Comment

Back in 1979 or 1980 when I had to get up at 5:30 am I used to listen to the last 15 minutes of King's radio show. Every so often he would tease the audience about telling what he'd refer to as "the ice cream story." Finally one morning he told it, very enthusiastically, and Sandy Koufax was prominently featured. I can't recall much about it other than it involved a drive up to New Haven. Perhaps they couldn't find the flavor they wanted in Brooklyn.

Here's a mildly amusing take on Larry's non-stop name-dropping:

http://www.candidcritic.com/larry_king.htm

Speaking of name-dropping, I never saw Koufax pitch but I once came face-to-face with Larry in the lobby of a movie theater. He's short but his glasses are very large. This was before the show so I didn't get to ask Larry what he thought of "JFK."

Comment

Originally posted by Rome Colonel
                            Back in 1979 or 1980 when I had to get up at 5:30 am I used to listen to the last 15 minutes of King's radio show. Every so often he would tease the audience about telling what he'd refer to as "the ice cream story." Finally one morning he told it, very enthusiastically, and Sandy Koufax was prominently featured. I can't recall much about it other than it involved a drive up to New Haven. Perhaps they couldn't find the flavor they wanted in Brooklyn.

Here's a mildly amusing take on Larry's non-stop name-dropping:

http://www.candidcritic.com/larry_king.htm

Speaking of name-dropping, I never saw Koufax pitch but I once came face-to-face with Larry in the lobby of a movie theater. He's short but his glasses are very large. This was before the show so I didn't get to ask Larry what he thought of "JFK."
                            That is a damn funny parody on King. Damn funny.
                            In regards to the ice cream story Sandy, now it does come back how he use to tease the heck out of it.
                            Johnny

Comment

Sorry; didn't mean to come across as overbearing; reread my post and it was far, far too abrasive. My apologies on that.
                              "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X