Happy Birthday, Tom Brookens!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy Birthday, Tom Brookens!

On this day in 1953, former Tigers third baseman Tom Brookens was born and since I can't offer a cake I present this little announcement!

The man may not have had the best bat or glove, but you had to love his desire and hustle, the spectacles, and of course, that 'stache.

Happy birthday, Tommie!
    Check out my articles at Bugs & Cranks.

Happy Birthday, Tommy!
    (Nice article.)

I think the reason I fought every year to hold my job was that I was not a great offensive player. If I would have been a player that put up twenty home runs and drove in 70, 80, 90 runs I don’t think Sparky would have been looking for a new third baseman all the time. But I was not that type of offensive player and that’s why I think they continued to search for someone that could give a little more offense on a consistent basis.
    Third Basemen Sparky Anderson Used To Try To Displace Tom Brookens*
    Chris Pittaro
    Glenn Wilson (one spring training game in 1984)
    Barbaro Garbey
    Howard Johnson
    Marty Castillo
    Darrell Evans
    Darnell Coles
    Lou Whitaker (ST 1985, with Pittaro at second)
    Chris Brown (in spring 1989, Brookens was dealt to the Yankees; Brown, acquired from San Diego, was such a bust he was gone from the majors by mid-1989)

*Others who played third base during Brookens' tenure, but were never considered serious threats to his playing time included Doug Baker, Enos Cabell, Mark DeJohn, Doug Flynn, Julio Gonzales, Johnny Grubb, Mike Heath, Richie Hebner, Mick Kelleher, Ray Knight, Wayne Krenchicki, Torey Lovullo, Scotti Madison, Bill Madlock, Jim Morrison, Matt Nokes, Stan Papi, Luis Salazar, Harry Spilman, Mark Wagner, Jim Walewander and John Wockenfuss.

Source: Detroit Tigers Lists and More: Runs, Hits and Eras, by Mark Pattison and David Raglin, p311
    "Someone asked me if I took steroids. I said, 'No. I had a contract with Wheaties.'"
    --Bob Feller

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X