Most feared 1-2 punches in history.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most feared 1-2 punches in history.

Anyone ever wonder who were the greatest 1-2 punch in BB history? Which bruisers were the most feared by opposing pitchers? The following must have given opposing pitchers some sleepless nights.

1. Ruth-Gehrig-Lazzeri
    2. Simmons-Foxx-Cochrane
    3. Aaron-Mathews
    4. Jackson-Lajoie
    5. DiMaggio-Gehrig-Dickey
    6. Cobb-Crawford-Veach
    7. Mantle-Maris
    8. Mays-(McCovey,Cepeda)
    9. Canseco-McGuire
    10. Gehringer-Greenberg
    11. Kent-Bonds
    12. Snider-Campanella
    13. Cobb-Heilmann-(Veach,Fothergill,Manush)
    14. Sisler-Williams
    15. Rose-Morgan-Bench
    16. Wagner-Clarke
    17. Hornsby-Hack Wilson
    18. Delahanty-Thompson

Does anyone have any additions? I'm sure I've forgotten many. Just to make this a little spicier, if you can think of any 1-2-3 punches, knock yourself out!

Bill Burgess
    Last edited by Bill Burgess; 01-20-2004, 05:04 PM.

Re: Most feared 1-2 punches in history.

Originally posted by [email protected]
    Anyone ever wonder who were the greatest 1-2 punch in BB history? Which bruisers were the most feared by opposing pitchers? The following must have given opposing pitchers some sleepless nights.

1. Ruth-Gehrig
    2. Simmons-Foxx
    3. Aaron-Mathews
    4. Jackson-Lajoie
    5. DiMaggio-Gehrig
    6. Cobb-Crawford
    7. Mantle-Maris
    8. Canseco-McGuire
    9. Gehringer-Greenberg
    10. Kent-Bonds
    11. Cobb-Heilmann
    12. Sisler-Williams

Does anyone have any additions? I'm sure I've forgotten many.

Bill Burgess
    I'd put Walker-Helton up there somewhere. I don't know the numbers, but I'm sure they are through the roof.

Chris

Comment

What about Mays & McCovey?

Comment

Ruth and Gehrig. Everyone else is fighting for second place.

The duo played together for a total of 10 complete seasons.

They hit 771 home runs out of a MLB total of 11,799. That's a pct. of .0653.

Gehrig had over 200 hits 6 times. They had 3558 hits in 10,438 at bats, for a combined avg. of .341.

No other pair are even close.

The Yankees finished in First Place 5 times, and won 3 World Series.

Bob

Comment

Bob,

Have to agree with you, Bob. Interesting how Lou was able to collect so many RBIs after the Babe had cleared the bases so often.

What if Lou would shake Babe's hand and mutter, "Thanks a lot, Babe!"

Bill Burgess

Comment

Bob,

Have to agree with you, Bob. Interesting how Lou was able to collect so many RBIs after the Babe had cleared the bases so often.

What if Lou would shake Babe's hand and mutter, "Thanks a lot, Babe!"

Bill Burgess
            Bill:

In those 10 seasons, The Babe had 1558 hits and 1161 walks, for a total of 2719. Not counting reaching on errors, there were plenty of times Ruth himself was in position to be driven in. Even when you subtract his 424 HRs, that leaves 2295 oportunities for Lou, just from Ruth. He drove in 1436 in those 10 seasons.

Bob
            Last edited by bluezebra; 01-17-2004, 10:45 PM.

Comment

bluezebra,

Yeah, I hear ya. Lou really lived to drive in those runs. One of the only guys who could keep up with Lou in that respect was Hank Greenberg. He also lived to gobble up those RBIs. Only difference was that Hank's set-up man was Charlie Gehringer, not a slouch himself, but he wasn't Babe. Buth then, who was?

Bill

Comment

Who can forget that lethal combination of Mar Thornberry and Elio Chacon?
                I share pictures from my collection of baseball photographs on twitter @PastimeClassics

Comment

Eddie,

I was unsure whether or not to include that devestating duo, Nellie Fox and Luis Aparicio. Single, walk, or walk, single.

Those pitchers would quake. Have I missed them?

Bill Burgess
                  Last edited by Bill Burgess; 01-18-2004, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Eddie,

I was unsure whether or not to include that devestating duo, Nellie Fox and Luis Apparicio. Single, walk, or walk, single.

Those pitchers would quake. Have I missed them?

Bill Burgess
                    Pitchers DID worry about those two. In my opinion, they were one of the best #1-#2 hitters in the game. Fox was possibly the perfect #2 man. If Aparicio got on base, Nellie would hit behind him, sending him to 2B or 3B. If Louie made an out, Nellie would get on somehow. They set the table for hitters like Minnie Minoso, Larry Doby and Sherm Lollar.

Fox gave up probably 20 points on his lifetime batting average, giving himself up to move Aparicio ahead on the bases.

Bob

Comment

Bob,

In my files, I can't tell you how many quotes I have from pitchers who claimed that they'd much rather face the big bruisers than the little bingles slappers.

And I'm talking about guys the quality of Grove, Pennock, Johnson and Spahn. They just hated to see guys like Cobb, Sewell, Fox, Waner, Rose, Gwynn, Boggs, Carew, Collins, Sisler, etc.

Those kind of slappers were very hard to whiff and didn't swing real big. The pitchers often felt that they could blow the ball by the big swingers, unless the hitters adjusted and cut their stroke.

Bill Burgess

Comment

Bill, expand that to one, two , three punch and you have Duke Snider, Roy Campanella, and Gil Hodges of the Brooklyn Dodgers. During the period from 1949-1957 they put up some big numbers.
                        Lets get Eddie Basinski elected to the Polish Sports Hall of Fame.
                        www.brooklyndodgermemories.com

Comment

For these four seasons, 1925-1928, Bob Meusel followed Gehrig in the line up. In this order, BA, HR, RBI, here are his stats:

1925..290, 33*, 138* *led American League
                          1926..315, 12, 81
                          1927..337, 8, 103
                          1928..297, 11, 113

Amazing amount of RBIs following Ruth and Gehrig.

Bob

Comment

Don't forget Delahanty-Thompson!
                            I share pictures from my collection of baseball photographs on twitter @PastimeClassics

Comment

jimmy foxx-bobby doer-1939
                              bobby doer-johnny pesky-1951
                              hank bauer-mickey mantle-1954
                              duke snider, sany amaros, roy campanella-1956
                              pee wee reese-jackie robinson-1955
                              gehrig, crosetti, lazzeri-1936
                              gehrig, lazzeri, crosetti-1937
                              “it is impossible to understand America without a thorough knowledge of baseball” -Mcafee

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X