John McGraw Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ItsOnlyGil View Post
    I can see no reason why the last play of the 1924 World Series did not include a throw home in an attempt to throw out the slowest runner on the field, who was attempting to score, unless McGraw forbade that throw:

Left fielder Irish Meusel...
    Interesting stuff, Gil. Why would McGraw forbid the throw?

-In the 11th inning McGraw switched Ross Youngs and Meusel, putting Youngs in left. He did this, apparently, because Youngs was a much better fielder. In the 12th, the Senators got 2 men on (Ruel doubled to left, Walter Johnson hit a hard liner than Travis Jackson booted, and he reached first).

With Earl McNeely next, the Nationals expected Youngs and Meusel to switch places (again), as McNeely was a dead pull hitter, but they weren't switched.

When McNeely hit a hard grounder to third, Muddy Ruel had taken off with the pitch trying to avoid the double play. Apparently the freak bounce caused the ball to carom into short left field, and by the time Meusel got to it, Ruel was already past third and heading home. Perhaps he was shocked the ball got through on a routine hot shot to third, perhaps the way the ball caromed resulted in him not being able to get to it in time (the runner was going)?

We'd have to see the film to know. Does film of the 24' World Series exist?

Reportedly McGraw chewed him out on the train afterward, in any case.

Source

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Burgess View Post
      Here's an article on the margay. I mispelled it above. Margays

Well, I suppose that McGraw did domesticate his pet, at least for him. Maybe not for the rest of the world.

HA, that last line sounds like McGraw.

I've got to say the things I've heard about Mcgraw, I'd almost hate the guy, if I didnt almost love the guy. :cap:

Comment

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
        Any more coments on the Bill James James breakdown on McGraw's managing skills. Agree? Disagree? I was hoping it would generate some lively discussion.
        From what I know, I didnt see anything that really disagree with it. Seemed pretty much right. Without actually being there it seemed well thought out (and since he has been dead for 75 years, it would be hard to interview him)

Comment

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
          McGraw and Chief Meyers, 1912.
          [ATTACH]46700[/ATTACH]

McGraw and heavyweight champion Jim Corbett, 1904.
          [ATTACH]46701[/ATTACH]

McGraw and Todd Sloan (who?), 1906
          [ATTACH]46704[/ATTACH]

McGraw and Johnny Evers, 1912
          [ATTACH]46705[/ATTACH]

McGraw, 1912

[ATTACH]46706[/ATTACH]

Yeah, about Corbett. Dont know if you knew, but Corbett's brother Joe was a pitcher on the orioles in 1890's. 1897 being his best year i think.

Comment

What was the cause of the McGraw/Wilbert Robinson feud. I think there is more to the story than a missed sign in the 1913 World Series.

Comment

I'd like to know that, too. Though their personalities from what I know were so opposite they were bound to clash in some way.

Comment

McGraw and Johnny Evers, 1912
                [ATTACH]46705[/ATTACH]
                Is it just me or could Henry Fonda have passed for Evers?
                "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
                "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
                "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
                "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

Originally posted by Classic View Post
                  Is it just me or could Henry Fonda have passed for Evers?
                  He could have, in his younger days.
                  Attached Files

Comment

John McGraw wore this in 1915:
                    Attached Files
                    http://www.blackbetsy.com/movies/joeatbat.mpg

Comment

John J. once made a list of his Top 20 All-Time Players. This list appeared in many newspapers May 7, 1929. John died in 1934.

1. Honus Wagner
                      2. Ty Cobb
                      3. Willie Keeler
                      4. Eddie Collins
                      5. Babe Ruth
                      6. Tris Speaker
                      7. Rogers Hornsby
                      8. Nap Lajoie
                      9. Freddie Lindstrom
                      10. Paul Waner
                      11. George Sisler
                      12. Lou Gehrig
                      13. Roger Bresnahan
                      14. Al Simmons
                      15. Frankie Frisch
                      16. Christy Mathewson
                      17. Walter Johnson
                      18. Pete Alexander
                      19. Rube Waddell
                      20. Dazzy Vance
                      Last edited by Bill Burgess; 09-16-2008, 05:24 PM.

Comment

Wee Willie better than Hornsby, Ruth, and Gehrig??
                        Wow...well, maybe it was true for the kind of game that McGraw wanted to play. I guess Gehrig was just getting started then, also.
                        I've never heard anything superlative about Keeler's OF play...but, he must have been pretty good in McGraw's eyes to rank so high on that list.
                        "I throw him four wide ones, then try to pick him off first base." - Preacher Roe on pitching to Musial

Comment

Originally posted by ItsOnlyGil View Post
                          I can see no reason why the last play of the 1924 World Series did not include a throw home in an attempt to throw out the slowest runner on the field, who was attempting to score, unless McGraw forbade that throw:From:
                          I don't get this one, am I missing something, why would McGraw discourage a play at the plate, it meant the game. Not to say the throw would have gotten the runner, but why no throw.

Comment

If a movie had ever been made of John J. McGraw, can anyone think of a more perfect actor to play him than Jimmy Cagney in his prime? I can't. Would have been absolutely perfect type-casting.

Comment

In their respective later years, W.C. Fields looked a lot like McGraw.

The James profile is really good, I think. As for Keeler, there might be a little favoritism there.

Did he really put fifteen position players at the top and then pitchers in slots 16 through 20, or was that actually two different lists. But at any rate, as Keeler is ahead of Collins, Ruth and Speaker, so Mathewson leads Johnson, Alexander et al.
                              Last edited by Beady; 04-02-2011, 05:27 PM.
                              “Money, money, money; that is the article I am looking after now more than anything else. It is the only thing that will shape my course (‘religion is nowhere’).” - Ross Barnes

Comment

I am in the middle of reading Walter Johnson's bio, and it said that McGraw chewed out Muesel on the train for not making that throw.
                                "Hey Mr. McGraw! Can I pitch to-day?"

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X