Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

McGraw and Todd Sloan (who?), 1906
    Attachment 46704
    Sloan was a famous jockey. If you look at how McGraw towers over him in the picture (I think it's up in post 24), and then how Jim Corbett -- not even a really big heavyweight, I believe -- towers over McGraw in the picture immediately above, it will be apparent how small Sloan was.

One thing I might take a little issue with in James' profile is his remark that McGraw was controlling, as most manager are. I don't doubt the generalization is true, but McGraw seems to have been taken that characteristic far beyond almost anyone else. Even at that, though, barring psychic telecommunication I can't imagine any means that would have enabled him to order Irish Meusel not to throw the ball had he wanted to. Meusel was famous for his bad arm, so maybe what would have been a Hail Mary throw for anybody else just looked completely useless to him.

Cue an old story:

McGraw and Meusel are standing on a street corner, when a disabled man walks up to Meusel and asks for a handout.

"You see, sir, I lost my arm -- "

"Well, be no your way," snaps McGraw. "Irish ain't got it!"
    “Money, money, money; that is the article I am looking after now more than anything else. It is the only thing that will shape my course (‘religion is nowhere’).” - Ross Barnes

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Burgess View Post
      If a movie had ever been made of John J. McGraw, can anyone think of a more perfect actor to play him than Jimmy Cagney in his prime? I can't. Would have been absolutely perfect type-casting.
      Bill,

I agree with you. Cagney strikes me as an athletic type who would have been willing to learn how to play baseball if he hadn't played as a child. Cagney's energy and temper would have rung true with audiences. He would have known exactly how to play McGraw the young teenager and McGraw the elder manager. I think both of them were very close in height too?

I would have loved to be there if the two had ever gotten together to discuss how to play McGraw in a movie. Would Cagney have objected to taking some chewing tobacco out and mushing it into some poor umpire's face? :-)
      "He's tougher than a railroad sandwich."
      "You'se Got The Eye Of An Eagle."

Comment

Cagney seems to have been a pretty good ball player as a kid...

http://yorkvillestoopstonuts.blogspo...irca-1915.html

According to Harold Seymour, he was on teams that went to the prison at Sing Sing for games. Growing up in New York early in the century, he must have been well aware of McGraw, too. I'm sure he could have stepped right into the role.
        “Money, money, money; that is the article I am looking after now more than anything else. It is the only thing that will shape my course (‘religion is nowhere’).” - Ross Barnes

Comment

Cagney may not have played McGraw in a movie, but fellow gangster Edward G. Robinson played one of McGraw's most loyal disciples, Hans Lobert, in "The Big Leaguer."
          "Hey Mr. McGraw! Can I pitch to-day?"

Comment

I wonder what actor today could pull of portraying John McGraw?
            Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
              Maybe John Heard since Charles Durning is too old.

If a McGraw movie had been in the past (say 30s or 40s) it would have probably been a B movie. You would have probably seen someone like Wade Boteler or William Bendix as McGraw.

Comment

Justin Bieber?

Comment

I had posted this in the St. Louis Cardinals forum (because this article was published when McGraw was with the Perfectos in 1900), but I think it is worth cross-posting it here:

1900 StL McGraw.jpg

Comment

Jon Favreau
                    "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

How bout who'd play Wilbert Robinson?

Comment

Originally posted by TomBodet View Post
                        How bout who'd play Wilbert Robinson?
                        John Candy (in his prime)

Comment

Every time I see "Eight Men Out" I think the actor who played Abe Attell is the spitting image of a young Muggsie

Comment

Originally posted by Victory Faust View Post
                            Every time I see "Eight Men Out" I think the actor who played Abe Attell is the spitting image of a young Muggsie
                            Was he the former boxer guy in the film?
                            Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Was he the former boxer guy in the film?

Yeah...the one who told Sleepy Bill Burns and Billy Maharg the money was "All out on bets."

Comment

Originally posted by Victory Faust View Post
                                Yeah...the one who told Sleepy Bill Burns and Billy Maharg the money was "All out on bets."
                                Ah...That's the guy that Arnold Rothstein told was a "former" champion.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X