Great Quotes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Victory Faust
    At a banquet some time in the 1950s, a fan reportedly asked Ty Cobb, "what would you hit nowadays?"

Replied Cobb: "Oh, about .280."

Fan: "Well, that isn't so great."

Cobb: "Yeah, but you have to remember: I'm 70 goddamn years old."

I wonder if this story is apocryphal, or did it really happen? Mr. Burgess?
    this is an accurate recap of the statement but i don't think it was cobb speaking - might be from glory of their times
    Last edited by Brian McKenna; 02-13-2006, 06:10 PM.

Comment

In 1931, the Yanks were facing the A's. A hard throwing rookie right-hander named Jim Peterson came in to face Ruth. Cochrane told Peterson, "Nothing but fastballs, but put everything you have on it." Needless to say, Peterson was in awe of who he was facing.

He reared back and really let loose on one, and it ended up coming right at Babe, who dove down to the ground. Babe jumped up and yelled, "Why you collegiate SOB..." Ruth ended up walking, and when Gehrig came to bat a moment later, Lou said placatingly to Peterson, "Now don't be nervous."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

"When we got to the ballpark, we know we were going to win. That's all there was to it. We weren't cocky. I wouldn't call it confidence, either. We just knew. Like when you go to sleep you know the sun is going to come up in the morning." - Pipgras talking about the '27 Yanks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Moe Berg was sharing a room with Ruth one time. Babe was in the room with a couple females, and Berg was out in the living room area. The phone rang, and Berg didn't answer. Babe came out and said to Berg, "It's Father Flanagan, you're Babe Ruth, tell him you'll be right down." Berg did, and Babe went back into the bedroom. One of the girls asked him what was the matter, why didn't he just talk. Babe said, "Me, with what I was doing, talk to a priest, no way."

Comment

Originally posted by RuthMayBond
        I still like the guy who was claiming how he could handle Ty Cobb ,so the Tigers had him come meet them. Cobb hits the guy's first pitch to the track, the next pitch against the wall, the next pitch over the fence, the next pitch FARTHER over the fence, you get the idea. They go to give the guy the hook and he yells (in his "defense"), "I don't even think that was really Ty Cobb!"

you know, i love that one. i had forgotten it.
        Johnny
        Delusion, Life's Coping Mechanism

Comment

Yankees exec Gabe Paul:

"There is no such thing as second place. Either you're first or you're nothing."
          "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

Comment

old Gabe Paul

Originally posted by ElHalo
            Yankees exec Gabe Paul:

"There is no such thing as second place. Either you're first or you're nothing."
            Kind of reminds you of the old Durocher quote -or misquote- of a similar vein about finishing last.
            Johnny

Comment

Originally posted by ElHalo
              Yankees exec Gabe Paul:

Obviously, he didn't mention that too much when he was an INDIANS exec :grouchy
              Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
              Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

Originally posted by RuthMayBond
                Obviously, he didn't mention that too much when he was an INDIANS exec :grouchy
                your right about that.
                when he was with the indians he was pretty mediocre.
                it's amazing how good a baseball executive you get to be when you have the payroll to back it up :atthepc
                Johnny

Comment

another casey stengal

upon his forced retirement after losing the world series to the Pirates he gave this little gem to the reporters.

'when i came here back in 49 i commenced winning world championships. i also commenced getting older. i'll never make the mistake of being 70 again!' :grouchy

i might have screwed it up slightly but it's a nice little gem. i think in the Stump Cobb bio, a reference is made to Casey telling Ty that he made management pay him off to the tune of over $160 grand or so.
                  Johnny

Comment

Im paraphrasing this....

Joe Dimaggio was asked why he plays hard all the time....

Joe responded; "There's always some kid out there seeing me for the first or last time, he deserves my best".

Forgot who said this I think it was Tommy Lasorda...

There's 3 types of ball players, one who makes things happen, one who watches things happen, and one who wonders what happens.

I think Connie Mack said this

"As part of nine men Joe Dimaggio is the greatest player who ever lived"

And this is one of my favorites

"Did they tell me how to pitch to (Ted) Williams? Sure they did. It was great advice, very encouraging. They said he had no weakness, won't swing at a bad ball, has the best eyes in the business, and can kill you with one swing. He won't hit anything bad, but don't give him anything good." - Bobby Shantz
                    "I was pitching one day when my glasses clouded up on me. I took them off to polish them. When I looked up to the plate, I saw Jimmie Foxx. The sight of him terrified me so much that I haven't been able to wear glasses since." - Left Gomez

"(Lou) Gehrig never learned that a ballplayer couldn't be good every day." - Hank Gowdy

Comment

When Lefty Gomez was a rookie, he was throwing batting practice in spring trainig. Waite Hoyt came strolling past the mound as Ruth was stepping in to hit. "Nothing but fastballs right down the pipe" Hoyt told him. "Don't get cute kid, and for God's sake don't hit him or you're gone."

Comment

"Trying to hit him (Phil Niekro) was like trying to eat Jell-O with chopsticks."
                        -- Bobby Murcer

-

"I'd walk through hell in a gasoline suit to keep playing baseball."
                        -- Pete Rose

-

"If a man can beat you, walk him."
                        -- Satchel Paige

-

Slump ? I ain't in no slump. I just ain't hittin.
                        -- Yogi Berra

Comment

"I didn't say everything I said."

Yogi Berra
                          Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
                          Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

"Why buy good luggage? You only use it when you travel." - Yogi

"It isn't the high price of stars that's so expensive, it's the high price of mediocrity." - Bill Veeck

"I usually take a two-hour nap from 1 to 4." - Yogi

"If a tie is like kissing your sister, losing is like kissing your grandmother with her teeth out." - George Brett

"I was the worst hitter ever. I never even broke a bat until last year. That was backing out of the garage." - Lefty Gomez

"I don't know. I'm not in shape yet." - Yogi, when asked about his cap size.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X