Best Player By Franchise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Player By Franchise?

Who is each team's all-time best player? Here's the kicker though, the player had to have spent their entire career with the team (meaning, for example, no Babe Ruth for the Yankees, no Willie Mays for the Giants, and no Hank Aaron for Braves).
    Last edited by DoubleX; 02-14-2006, 11:44 AM.

New York Yankees - you could go either way with Mantle or Gherig, take your pick.
    Seattle Mariners - Edgar Martinez, although some might say Ichiro, if you don't count his time in Japan as playing for another team.
    Boston Red Sox - easy - Ted Williams
    Chicago Cubs - Billy Williams ended his career with Oakland, so he's out, you might get a few votes for Mr. Santo, but it has to go to Mr. Cub himself - Ernie Banks
    Last edited by Edgartohof; 02-14-2006, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Pirates - Clemente
      Cardinals - Musial
      Indians - Feller
      Twins/Senators - WJohnson
      "real" Twins - Puckett
      Astros - Biggio
      Braves - Smoltz?
      Dodgers - JRobinson or Koufax
      Phillies - Schimdt
      Giants - Ott
      Reds - Bench
      Royals - Brett
      Brewers - Yount
      Orioles - Ripken
      Padres - Gwynn
      Red Sox - TWilliams
      White Sox - Appling
      Tigers - Kaline
      Cubs - Banks
      A's - ????

Comment

Here's some I thought of (this was more difficult than I thought it would be):

Yankees: Lou Gehrig (I can see arguments for Mantle, but I prefer Gehrig)
        Red Sox: Ted Williams
        Blue Jays: No clue (I was going to say Dave Stieb, but he pitched 4 games with the White Sox in '93).
        Orioles: Cal Ripken Jr.
        Devil Rays: Carl Crawford?
        White Sox: Luke Appling
        Indians: Earl Averill (Larry Doby or Lou Boudreau would work here too)
        Twins: Kirby Puckett
        Tigers: Al Kaline (Charlie Gehringer would work too)
        Royals: George Brett
        Angels: Tim Salmon
        Athletics: Eric Chavez? For all the great players that have played for the A's, they all seemed to have spent some time on other teams.
        Rangers: Rusty Greer?
        Mariners: Edgar Martinez

Braves: Chipper Jones
        Phillies: Mike Schmidt
        Marlins: Miguel Cabrera?
        Mets: Ed Kranepool (Seriously, I can't think of anyone else)
        Nationals: No clue (Judging by these lists, one might think I have something against Canadian teams)
        Cardinals: Stan Musial
        Astros: Jeff Bagwell
        Brewers: Robin Yount
        Cubs: Ernie Banks
        Pirates: Roberto Clemente
        Reds: Johnny Bench
        Padres: Tony Gwynn
        Giants: Mel Ott
        Dodgers: Jackie Robinson (Roy Campanella is a good choice as well)
        Diamondbacks: No clue.
        Rockies: Todd Helton

Going through this, it's really amazing how few first-tier, bonafied Hall of Famers played their entire careers with only one team.

Comment

Originally posted by Edgartohof
          Chicago Cubs - Billy Williams ended his career with Oakland, so he's out, you might get a few votes for Mr. Santo, but it has to go to Mr. Cub himself - Ernie Banks
          Santo crossed my mind, but he spent a year with the White Sox.

Comment

For the Pirates Honus Wagner would obviously be a better choice than Clemente, if you're including Louisville as the Pirates because it was the same franchise.

Ernie Banks is Mr.Cub, but I think it really should be Cap Anson. Ron Santo played one year with the cross town White Sox at the end of his career and is out.

Comment

Originally posted by 538280
              For the Pirates Honus Wagner would obviously be a better choice than Clemente, if you're including Louisville as the Pirates because it was the same franchise.
              It wasn't the same franchise. Barney Dreyfuss owned Louisville in 1899. Then he brought Pittsburgh and moved his best players to the Pirates, while Louisville was contracted. So he essentially merged the teams, but Louisville was a separate franchise from Pittsburgh.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleX
                Santo crossed my mind, but he spent a year with the White Sox.
                I totally forgot that, thanks for reminding me.

Comment

Originally posted by 538280
                  Ernie Banks is Mr.Cub, but I think it really should be Cap Anson. Ron Santo played one year with the cross town White Sox at the end of his career and is out.
                  I'd personally still go with Banks over Anson, but Anson might not even be in the running if you also include his NA playing.

Comment

[QUOTE=DoubleX]
                    Here's some I thought of (this was more difficult than I thought it would be):

Indians: Earl Averill (Larry Doby or Lou Boudreau would work here too)
                    Sorry, but Averill ended his career playing out the string with Detroit and Boston. Larry Doby played for the White Sox at the end.

Yankees Fan Since 1957

Comment

[QUOTE=yanks0714]

Sorry, but Averill ended his career playing out the string with Detroit and Boston. Larry Doby played for the White Sox at the end.
                      Good catch. Even Boudrea spent two years with Boston. Hmm..Al Rosen for Cleveland? I suppose I could go with Bob Feller if I was considering pitchers.

Comment

You could add Barry Larkin to the Reds' list....not quite as good as Bench, but a great player with one franchise too. Maybe the Reds win the boobie prize for having 2?

Comment

Good catch. Even Boudrea spent two years with Boston. Hmm..Al Rosen for Cleveland? I suppose I could go with Bob Feller if I was considering pitchers.
                          Anybody want to hazard a guess as to who the Indians' all time leader in games played is? I'll bet you weren't thinking this guy.

As to the Mets... forget the rules of this little game; who's the best position player in Mets history, period? Piazza is more of a Dodger. Who's next? Daryll? Howard Johnson?
                          "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

Comment

Originally posted by baseballPAP
                            You could add Barry Larkin to the Reds' list....not quite as good as Bench, but a great player with one franchise too. Maybe the Reds win the boobie prize for having 2?
                            I think if there is a booby prize to be won, it's probably going to go to the Yankees (Gehrig, Mantle, DiMaggio, Dickey).

Comment

franchise players

what about yogi berra for the yanks?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X