Best Player By Franchise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ElHalo
    Anybody want to hazard a guess as to who the Indians' all time leader in games played is? I'll bet you weren't thinking this guy.

As to the Mets... forget the rules of this little game; who's the best position player in Mets history, period? Piazza is more of a Dodger. Who's next? Daryll? Howard Johnson?
    Off the top of my head I'd say Bud Harrelson, but after checking...bingo, its Kranepool and by a bunch!

Comment

Originally posted by christian gentleman
      what about yogi berra for the yanks?
      He had 9 ABs with the Mets in '65, so that takes him out of the running.

Comment

The DiamondBacks don't have any franchise players because there is only 2 left since the 2001 ws victory. And it is Craig Counsell and Louis Gonzalez; two veterans who have played for different teams. Of course, unless you count rookies that can't play worth a lick .
        Rest in Peace Jose Fernandez (1992-2016)

Comment

You could make a team out of career Giants:

Bill Terry
          Mel Ott
          Mike Tiernan
          Ross Youngs
          Travis Jackson
          Jim Davenport
          Jo Jo Moore

and on the mound:

Jeff Tesreau
          Carl Hubbell
          Hal Schumacher

and in relief:

Ace Adams
          Scott Garrelts

and a backup who'd have to start since I only put up seven players:
          Robby Thompson

That was fun. Maybe I'll do another team. Any suggestions?
          "Here's a crazy thought I've always had: if they cut three fingers off each hand, I'd really be a great hitter because then I could level off better." Paul Waner (lifetime .333 hitter, 3,152 lifetime hits.

Comment

Originally posted by ElHalo
            Anybody want to hazard a guess as to who the Indians' all time leader in games played is? I'll bet you weren't thinking this guy.
            I believe it was Terry Turner. Under the rules of the question, I would probably go with either Feller or Lemon.

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzaldrin
              You could make a team out of career Giants:

Bill Terry
              Mel Ott
              Mike Tiernan
              Ross Youngs
              Travis Jackson
              Jim Davenport
              Jo Jo Moore

and on the mound:

Jeff Tesreau
              Carl Hubbell
              Hal Schumacher

and in relief:

Ace Adams
              Scott Garrelts

and a backup who'd have to start since I only put up seven players:
              Robby Thompson

That was fun. Maybe I'll do another team. Any suggestions?
              Not a bad team. How do you think it would fair against this team:

C: Bill Dickey
              1B: Don Mattingly
              2B: Bobby Richardson
              SS: Derek Jeter
              3B: Gil McDougald
              LF: Bernie Williams
              CF: Joe DiMaggio
              RF: Mickey Mantle
              DH: Lou Gehrig

Bench: Thurman Munson, Phil Rizzuto, Frank Crosetti, Tommy Henrich, Roy White

SP1: Whitey Ford
              SP2: Ron Guidry
              SP3: Mel Stottlemyre
              SP4: Spud Chandler

CL: Mariano Rivera
              Last edited by DoubleX; 02-15-2006, 10:45 AM.

Comment

What about the MArlisn. How many franchise players ar5e there?
                "I don't like to sound egotistical, but every time I stepped up to the plate with a bat in my hands, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the pitcher."
                -Rogers Hornsby-

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
                -Rogers Hornsby-

Just a note to all the active members of BBF, I consider all of you the smartest baseball people I have ever communicated with and love everyday I am on here. Thank you all!

Comment

holy #2 pencil, xx, that yankee roster is loaded.
                  "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

The Reds:
                    C-Bench
                    1B-Long John Reilly
                    2B-Bid McPhee
                    SS-Larkin
                    3B-yipes!
                    LF-Adam Dunn
                    CF-Bug Holliday
                    RF-Austin Kearns
                    Bench-they don't have one

Pitchers-Mario Soto

Despite the longer history, the Reds can't come close to a decent team. Throw out the old American Association Reds, and there is hardly onyone past Bench and Larkin.

Comment

Yeah, them Yankees look pretty tough. try doing the Red Sox, though, Ted Williams, Yaz, Bobby Doerr, Rico, the little Professor, Varitek, Gator Greenwell, Trot Nixon and a whole lotta nothing.

Rube Foster, Ray Collins, Tex Hughson, Mel Parnell, Tom Brewer, and Bob Stanley is one of the least inspiring pitching staffs I can imagine for a franchise.

and that's the best they got.
                      "Here's a crazy thought I've always had: if they cut three fingers off each hand, I'd really be a great hitter because then I could level off better." Paul Waner (lifetime .333 hitter, 3,152 lifetime hits.

Comment

Yeah, them Yankees look pretty tough. try doing the Red Sox, though, Ted Williams, Yaz, Bobby Doerr, Rico, the little Professor, Varitek, Gator Greenwell, Trot Nixon and a whole lotta nothing.

Rube Foster, Ray Collins, Tex Hughson, Mel Parnell, Tom Brewer, and Bob Stanley is one of the least inspiring pitching staffs I can imagine for a franchise.

and that's the best they got.
                        Red Sox would field a pretty good offensive team. You'd have to throw Jim Rice in there as well.

Comment

Rockies-Todd Helton

Marlins-Luis Castillo (technically its still the only team he has played for)
                          "There are three things in my life which I really love: God, my family, and baseball. The only problem - once baseball season starts, I change the order around a bit.
                          ~~Al Gallagher

God Bless America!

Click here to see my baseball tribute site!

Click here to see the best pitcher NOT in the HOF!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleX
                            Red Sox would field a pretty good offensive team. You'd have to throw Jim Rice in there as well.
                            Sorry, after I'd put in Rico P. I read back over it and read Rice, so I didn't put him in. My bad.

The White Sox have Luke Appling, Frank Thomas, Buck Weaver, Happy Felsch, Ted Lyons, Johnny Mostil (who saved Lyons' no hitter with a stupendous catch in the first inning), Red Faber, Mark Buehrle, John Garland, and of course Monty Stratton (as played by Jimmy Stewart). Roy Patterson and Joe Benz weren't bad either.

I guess you could add Jim Scott as a pitcher if you need more. Does Reb Russell count? He pitched only for the Sox, but after his arm blew out he came back a few years later as a Pirate right fielder- sort of Lefty O'Doul style.

They got the pitching, but after Thomas and Appling, the hitting really stinks.

Comment

Sorry, after I'd put in Rico P. I read back over it and read Rice, so I didn't put him in. My bad.
                              No need to apologize, I do stuff like that all the time. For instance, I originally had Charlie Keller as the DH on my all-time Yankee team, even though I knew he didn't play his whole career with the Yankees. So I made a nice little edit and no one is the wiser.

Comment

Best Player By Franchise?

The White Sox have Luke Appling, Frank Thomas, Buck Weaver, Happy Felsch, Ted Lyons, Johnny Mostil (who saved Lyons' no hitter with a stupendous catch in the first inning), Red Faber, Mark Buehrle, John Garland, and of course Monty Stratton (as played by Jimmy Stewart). Roy Patterson and Joe Benz weren't bad either.

I guess you could add Jim Scott as a pitcher if you need more. Does Reb Russell count? He pitched only for the Sox, but after his arm blew out he came back a few years later as a Pirate right fielder- sort of Lefty O'Doul style.

They got the pitching, but after Thomas and Appling, the hitting really stinks.
                                What's wrong with Rico he had a pretty good career at ss and 3rd base for the Red sox for 13 years, plus he comes from my alma mater Sheepshead High school in Brooklyn.
                                Lets support Gil Hodges for The Hall of Fame, a true Hall of Famer.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X