A record to remember

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A record to remember

I was wondering: if I name a series of HOF players, is there one record for which most of us would best remember them?

In my mind, for example:
    Babe Ruth -- remembered more for 60-HR season in 1927 than for his 714 career homeruns or his .690 career slugging average

Hank Aaron -- remembered mostly for 755 career homeruns

Ty Cobb -- remembered mostly for .367 (revised to .366) career batting average (more than for his 12 batting titles or 4190 career hits)

Lou Gehrig -- remembered mostly for his 2130 consecutive-games record

Ted Williams -- remembered mostly for his .406 BA in 1941

Joe DiMaggio -- remembered mostly for his 56-game hitting streak

Walter Johnson -- remembered more for his 3508 career strikeouts than for his 110 shutout victories or his 2.37 career ERA.

By what single record do YOU best remember any of these players (or anyone else)?
    Luke

Originally posted by Appling
    I was wondering: if I name a series of HOF players, is there one record for which most of us would best remember them?

In my mind, for example:
    Babe Ruth -- remembered more for 60-HR season in 1927 than for his 714 career homeruns or his .690 career slugging average

Hank Aaron -- remembered mostly for 755 career homeruns

Ty Cobb -- remembered mostly for .367 (revised to .366) career batting average (more than for his 12 batting titles or 4190 career hits)

Lou Gehrig -- remembered mostly for his 2130 consecutive-games record

Ted Williams -- remembered mostly for his .406 BA in 1941

Joe DiMaggio -- remembered mostly for his 56-game hitting streak

Walter Johnson -- remembered more for his 3508 career strikeouts than for his 110 shutout victories or his 2.37 career ERA.

By what single record do YOU best remember any of these players (or anyone else)?
    I think you nailed what most people think of them for. Except for Barney where 110 has always stuck out more than his strikeout number.

A few maybe overlooked or not talked about things with Gehrig:

12 straight seasons with 130+ RC

Eight 200 hit seasons and one season at 198.

Comment

ripken (in next year) will always be tied to the streak

dimaggio is probably remembered by many for marilyn monroe and mr. coffee

Comment

Originally posted by bkmckenna
        ripken (in next year) will always be tied to the streak

dimaggio is probably remembered by many for marilyn monroe and mr. coffee

Sounds good to me, A cup of good Columbian coffee and then Marilyn, or Marilyn then the coffee, your choice.

Comment

What else does Ripken have besides the streak? Maybe 'revolutionizing' the "big" shortstops?

Comment

I know some of these aren't records
            Cy Young - 511 wins
            Rogers Hornsby - .424 BA
            Ed Walsh - 40 wins?
            Bob Gibson - 1.12 ERA
            Don Drysdale - 58 straight SHO IP
            Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
            Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

Reggie Jackson - remembered for postseason, but a forgotten man in the regular season.
              Red, it took me 16 years to get here. Play me, and you'll get the best I got.

Comment

Originally posted by RuthMayBond
                I know some of these aren't records
                Cy Young - 511 wins
                Rogers Hornsby - .424 BA
                Ed Walsh - 40 wins?
                Bob Gibson - 1.12 ERA
                Don Drysdale - 58 straight SHO IP
                Actually, most of these are records -- and these are certainly the numbers I remember them by. (We all believed for a long time that Hornsby's .424 average in 1924 was the "modern era" record.)

I somehow thought that Ed Walsh was the only 40-game winner in AL history -- later to learn that Jack Chesbro of the Yankees beat him to it a few years earlier. Perhaps this was because Ed Walsh was in my first set of "All-Star Baseball" player disks -- and Chesbro was not.

You who remember DiMaggio mostly because of Marilyn and "Mr. Coffee" probably didn't get to see Joe play in person.
                Luke

Comment

Originally posted by Appling

You who remember DiMaggio mostly because of Marilyn and "Mr. Coffee" probably didn't get to see Joe play in person.
                  are we talking about most people or baseball history buffs?

you are probably right - but i would say the percentage of people who were oh say 10 by the time he retired in 1951, who lived near an american league ballpark, who had the time and money to attend a game and who even cared to attend a game is pretty small
                  Last edited by Brian McKenna; 02-14-2006, 11:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sultan_1895-1948
                    What else does Ripken have besides the streak? Maybe 'revolutionizing' the "big" shortstops?
                    Ripken did win two MVPs. And wasn't Honus a "big" shortstop?
                    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules
                      he isn't ruth so he doesn't matter

Comment

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules
                        MVP's are nice, many players have those along with All Star appearances, but as far as the thread topic; does he have anything besides the streak? Interested in learning here, so if there's something, please let loose with it.

Honus was big, even bigger if you straighten out his legs, but many have given credit to Ripken for "revolutionizing" the big shortstop. Only reason I threw that in.

bkmckenna, why do you have to go there. That just isn't true; everyone matters

Comment

Ripken, though of course known mostly for the streak, is the only SS ever to have 3,000 hits and 400 HR. It's not a record, but its pretty damn amazing.
                          Now it is done. The story ends, and there is no way to tell it. The art of fiction is dead. Reality has strangled invention. Only the utterly impossible, the inexpressibly fantastic can ever be plausible again.

-Red Smith, New York Herald Tribune, October 4th, 1951

Comment

Originally posted by Dodger Green
                            Ripken, though of course known mostly for the streak, is the only SS ever to have 3,000 hits and 400 HR. It's not a record, but its pretty damn amazing.
                            That's a very nice accomplishment, especially for a SS

Comment

Originally posted by Sultan_1895-1948
                              bkmckenna, why do you have to go there. That just isn't true; everyone matters
                              sorry - it was late and i couldn't sleep - i was amusing myself

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X