Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dimaggio's 56 the best sports streak ever?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tigerfan1974
    I think the '72 Dolphins perfect season was a pretty good streak!!
    But I am still partial to baseball of course and Joe D. is among the best!!
    Don't forget the '72 Dolphins did it with over half their games started by backup Earl Morrall. Granted, he was the starter for a couple Super Bowl teams . .
    Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
    Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

ucla basketball: 7 straight ncaa championships - 1967, '68, '69, '70, '71, '72 and '73.
      (if they had won in '66 it would be 10 straight, they also won in '64 and '65; if they had won in '66 and '74 it would be 12 straight, they also won in '75.)

also, ucla won 88 straight in the early 70s.
      "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

Originally posted by west coast orange and black
        ucla basketball: 7 straight ncaa championships - 1967, '68, '69, '70, '71, '72 and '73.
        (if they had won in '66 it would be 10 straight, they also won in '64 and '65; if they had won in '66 and '74 it would be 12 straight, they also won in '75.)

also, ucla won 88 straight in the early 70s.
        How about the Celtics 8 staright championships?
        "I don't like to sound egotistical, but every time I stepped up to the plate with a bat in my hands, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the pitcher."
        -Rogers Hornsby-

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
        -Rogers Hornsby-

Just a note to all the active members of BBF, I consider all of you the smartest baseball people I have ever communicated with and love everyday I am on here. Thank you all!

Comment

Originally posted by Sultan_1895-1948
          Love that letter Chris, thanks for bringin' it back. To think it took two great plays to end the streak, and then he picked right back up and hit in like 17 more straight games. What a freak.
          You're quite welcome. Gould was a scribe in all things from baseball to paleontology and evolution theory. Was sad to see him leave us.

in 1933 at the age of 18, Dimaggio put together a 61 game hitting streak in the PCL (which, according to some sources, was almost comparable to the ML's of the early 30's). Oddly enough, the streak was stopped by a journeyman and the son of a Hall of Famer (Ed Walsh, Jr).

My grandfather's best friend (Joe) was at that game and saw the two incredible plays made by Ken Keltner. Joe born in 1920, grew up in Cleveland, and even got to see Ruth play in 33'-34'. I think he's the one (and I'm sure only) guy I've met that actually saw Babe Ruth play Major League Baseball.

I was so excited to hear what he had to say about The Babe, and the one comment that stuck out was when he mentioned about the way Babe ran "tippy toes", he said. The other comments were ala Willis Hudlin, who commented on the energy and the excitement when he came to bat being nonpareil. Probably much like Bonds the last 5 years, but taken to another level, given that the guy was almost like another species.

My grandfather saw Dimaggio hit his first big league HR. He's followed baseball and the Yankees rabidly for 70 years, and still believes Dimaggio was the greatest baseball player he ever saw. I'm sure he's far from alone in that assessment.

Love the avatar, Sultan. Can't see it real clearly, but it looks like Babe almost had a hitch.

Comment

Originally posted by Cubsfan97
            How about the Celtics 8 staright championships?
            That's the basketball record, but the sports record is in baseball, held by the Tokyo Giants, who won 9 straight Japan series from 1965-1973.

Josh Gibson's Homestead Grays won 9 straight league pennants from 1937-1945.
            Red, it took me 16 years to get here. Play me, and you'll get the best I got.

Comment

Originally posted by Tigerfan1974
              I think the '72 Dolphins perfect season was a pretty good streak!!
              But I am still partial to baseball of course and Joe D. is among the best!!
              The Dolphins are not the only pro football team to go undefeated. The 1948 Cleveland Browns also went undefeated, going 15-0.

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/histo...ts/results.php
              Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

a streak that happens to be the longest is not necessarily the best.
                different obstacles, schedules, leagues, eras, etc. may come into play for sake of argument.
                "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules
                  The Dolphins are not the only pro football team to go undefeated. The 1948 Cleveland Browns also went undefeated, going 15-0.

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/histo...ts/results.php
                  I never said they were.
                  But the Dolphin's streak, in a different era from Cleveland, was longer and is impressive all the same.
                  1968 and 1984, the greatest ever.

Comment

Speaker had 9 straight seasons with 20+ assists. Would have been 12 but came up 5 short in 1918 (127 games).

35, 20, 26, 35, 30, 29, 21, 25, 23, 15, 25, 24

Comment

John Holway has an interesting take on DiMaggio's streak in The Last .400 Season. In not so many words he calls the streak a fraud that was assisted by too many questionable calls by official scorers (most notably Dan Daniel). I looked at Mike Seidel's book and the Sporting News to try to corroborate someof this but wasn't able to. Holway has a pro-Boston bias, but his claim was interesting and he isn't vague about which games he thinks have tainted calls. I've never seen it cited in a subsequent book, so I don't know if anyone takes his claim seriously, but it was an interesting perspective

Comment

Originally posted by wamby
                        John Holway has an interesting take on DiMaggio's streak in The Last .400 Season. In not so many words he calls the streak a fraud that was assisted by too many questionable calls by official scorers (most notably Dan Daniel). I looked at Mike Seidel's book and the Sporting News to try to corroborate someof this but wasn't able to. Holway has a pro-Boston bias, but his claim was interesting and he isn't vague about which games he thinks have tainted calls. I've never seen it cited in a subsequent book, so I don't know if anyone takes his claim seriously, but it was an interesting perspective

John Holway, sounds like sour grapes. I can't recall the games he made note of off hand. It was quite a while ago when I did some research on those games, if I can recall he may have cited a few, I think his "too many" questionable calls is an exaggeration, in fact it is an exaggeration. "Too many" leads the reader to assume there were a great number.

There were as there are in most streaks what some would consider questionable, whats new.

One that I did find. June 17, Dimaggio hit a ground ball that took a bad hop and hit SS Luke Appling in the shoulder. That may be some luck but I don't see that being a favorable call for Joe. Appling never got a glove on the ball, I've seen plays similar to this in the 40 years I've been watching this game and have seen it called a hit almost all the time.

No glove on the ball, how do you call that an error, it may have been a cheap hit but it's a hit. Either it's a hit or an error and theres no way they can charge the fielder with an error. You can bet that all those on the list of the longest streaks had some luck along the way.
                        Last edited by SHOELESSJOE3; 02-16-2006, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wamby
                          Yeah, I have heard this. Apparently Daniel was a writer for the New York World-Telegram and scorer at Yankee home games, knew the players, often traveled with the club, was certainly under a lot of pressure and indeed made a few questionable scorings on balls that should have been outs. Not many, but a few at crucial points. I could completely see this happening, scorekeeping is a very human endeavor.

Comment

Lou never had a 20 gamer. Teddy Ballgame's longest was 23 and Babe's was 26. Amazing doesn't describe 56.

Here's a couple links.

Breakdown of the streak

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/brew/mon/streak30899.asp

And this pretty cool thing here (on the right hand side you can click on the red games and it give you recaps) Pretty sure the game Holway refers to is game number 30 on 6/17 against Chicago.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/dimaggio/maps/map.html

Comment

Originally posted by KCGHOST
                              Uh, yoiu mean Dale Long's HR streak??
                              Don Mattingly, Dale Long, and Ken Griffey JR share the record with 8.
                              "I was pitching one day when my glasses clouded up on me. I took them off to polish them. When I looked up to the plate, I saw Jimmie Foxx. The sight of him terrified me so much that I haven't been able to wear glasses since." - Left Gomez

"(Lou) Gehrig never learned that a ballplayer couldn't be good every day." - Hank Gowdy

Comment

I wonder which achievement would cause more excitement if equalled again next season:
                                • .406 batting average?
                                • 56-game hitting streak?
                                Luke

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X