Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When I think of Ty Cobb

Let's try this in the form of a poll!

What stat immediately comes to mind when you think of Ty Cobb?

.367 (or .366) lifetime batting average?
    His 4191 (or 4189) career hits?
    His 12 AL batting titles?
    His 892 lifetime stolen bases?
    His 96 stolen bases in 1915?
    His 2246 career runs scored?
    -- or something else?
    His lifetime Batting Average of .367 (or .366)
    45.95%
    4189 career hits
    10.81%
    892 lifetime stolen bases
    0.00%
    96 stolen bases in 1915
    2.70%
    12 American League BA titles
    8.11%
    2246 runs scored
    0.00%
    Something else
    32.43%
    Last edited by Appling; 02-18-2006, 05:01 PM.
    Luke

Definitely .367. Yeah I know it's .366 but the .367 still sticks in my mind.

Comment

What's up Joltin', good to see ya back .367, just like Big Train's 113 SHO ? lol

Gotta go with 12 batting titles on this one.

Comment

.366 for me

Comment

Originally posted by Sultan_1895-1948
          What's up Joltin', good to see ya back .367, just like Big Train's 113 SHO ? lol
          Thanks Sultan. I have been lurking, just not posting.

Don't forget Old Hoss's 60 wins too...

Comment

I'd have to say either his .366 BA or his 12 batting titles in 13 years.
            Red, it took me 16 years to get here. Play me, and you'll get the best I got.

Comment

All his great numbers are in my mind, stamped in, what a career. But when I hear the name Cobb or think of him I picture a demon, a blur on the base paths striking fear in the opposing team. I would bet that even those who were around in his time and disliked him, some hated him had to marvel at the drive of this man, always going all out, all the time.

Comment

Thinking of Cobb, his numbers are not my thoughts, it's the image of him in action.

Comment

My image of Cobb isn't a stat, it's a guy who played as hard at his sport (or marder) than any person has played any sport. Sometimes that bordered on the brutal (spikes high etc.) and the profaine , but I think there is little argument that Ty Cobb played harder than any player ever has. That's what I think of when I think of Ty.

KH14
                  “Well, I like to say I’m completely focused, right? I mean, the game’s on the line. It’s not like I’m thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer — it tastes friggin’ awesome!"--Brian Wilson

Comment

This is the image that pops into my head, but for the thread question, which stat sticks out, it's 12 batting titles.
                    Attached Files

Comment

The batting average and steals of home are very close. However, the image that comes to mind first is one of him laying a sweater out on the field, and practicing bunting till he could get that ball not on the sweater itself (a good feat anyway) but on the sleeve!

Read that when i was about 12 or 13 and it's stayed with me for over 20 years. I have to admit I dont' have that kind of burning desire at anything; it's hard to find someone who does. Ted Williams may have said it, but Cobb probably often thought that he wanted people to think of him as the best darn hitter there ever was.
                      If Baseball Integrated Early - baseball integrated from the beginning - and "Brotherhood and baseball," the U.S. history companion, at http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Baseballifsandmore - IBIE updated for 2011.

"Full House Chronology" at yahoo group fullhousefreaks & fullhouse4life with help of many fans, thanks for the input

Comment

When I Think Of Ty Cobb!

What about being the very first player inducted into Baseball's Hall of Fame. Wouldn't that be another great choice - the best in my mind. This I say because Cobb was chosen over all the other great players including Ruth, Wagner, Young and Johnson.
                        Wesley Fricks

Comment

When I think of Cobb, I don't think of the numbers, I just think of a terrific ballplayer and a terrific p****k. Sometimes I think he and Pete Rose have a lot more in common than just being the only two players with 4,000+ hits.

Comment

The first thing I think of when I think of Ty Cobb is "the greatest baseball player ever".
                            Hey umpire, he's got a horse in his pocket!!

Comment

I think of him being arguably the dirtiest player to ever play baseball.
                              SOCK IT TO 'EM TIGERS

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X