Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeff Kent

I can't believe he isn't in the HoF.
    "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Nor can I.
    “There can be no higher law in journalism than to tell the truth and to shame the devil.” Walter Lippmann

"I don't care if the guy is yellow or black, or if he has stripes like a ******* zebra. I'm the manager of this team and I say he [Robinson] plays." - Leo Durocher

Comment

Kent in his 20s: 106 OPS+

Kent in his 30s: 133 OPS+

Something is rotten in Denmark.

Comment

Yup, don't need any more proof than that
        “There can be no higher law in journalism than to tell the truth and to shame the devil.” Walter Lippmann

"I don't care if the guy is yellow or black, or if he has stripes like a ******* zebra. I'm the manager of this team and I say he [Robinson] plays." - Leo Durocher

Comment

Here's a thread for Jeff Kent.

Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam, circumspice.

Comprehensive Reform for the Veterans Committee -- Fixing the Hall continued.

Comment

There have been t least a dozen superior candidates than Kent on the ballot every year he's been eligible, it's no surprise he hasn't made it or come close.

Comment

Originally posted by NJRob65 View Post
              There have been t least a dozen superior candidates than Kent on the ballot every year he's been eligible, it's no surprise he hasn't made it or come close.
              Keep in mind that those for whom PEDs are a non-starter can reasonably see Kent as being top 10 among the eligibles. They're right - if you remove Bonds, Clemens, Manny, Sheffield and Sosa from the equation, there's room for Kent on the ballot.

Kent is the most deserving middle infielder on the 2019 ballot and that's not a close call at all.
              "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
              "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
              "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
              "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

Originally posted by Chadwick View Post
                Keep in mind that those for whom PEDs are a non-starter can reasonably see Kent as being top 10 among the eligibles. They're right - if you remove Bonds, Clemens, Manny, Sheffield and Sosa from the equation, there's room for Kent on the ballot.

Kent is the most deserving middle infielder on the 2019 ballot and that's not a close call at all.
                As previously mentioned, Kent is not above suspicion himself, there are more than middle infielders on the ballot. Even dictating Pp.e.d. users I still wouldn't put him in the top ten on the 2019 BBWAA HoF Ballot:

Non-p.e.ds. candidate I'd take before Kent, alphabetical order:

1. Lance Berkman
                2. Roy Halladay
                3. Todd Helton
                4. Andruw Jones
                5. Edgar Martinez
                6. Mike Mussina
                7. Roy Oswalt
                8. Mariano Rivera
                9. Scott Rolen
                10. Curt Schilling
                11. Billy Wagner
                12 Larry Walker

Again, a dozen superior non p.e.d. candidates.
                Last edited by NJRob65; 09-13-2018, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Yup. With no backlog, he would be inching closer and closer. He is a guy most people feel is borderline-in. Almost everyone has 10-15 guys each year who they think are no-brainers.

I cant understand why anyone would be surprised he hasn't been elected yet.
                  1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
                  The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

Originally posted by 1905 Giants View Post
                    Yup, don't need any more proof than that
                    That's how the game has always been played. Did Ben Johnson lose his gold medal because someone wrote a book about him.
                    This week's Giant

#5 in games played as a Giant with 1721 , Bill Terry

Comment

I was merely pointing out that his ops+ going up in his 30s is not proof

Comment

I... I don't see it happening.

Comment

As previously mentioned, Kent is not above suspicion himself, there are more than middle infielders on the ballot. Even dictating Pp.e.d. users I still wouldn't put him in the top ten on the 2019 BBWAA HoF Ballot:

Non-p.e.ds. candidate I'd take before Kent, alphabetical order:

1. Lance Berkman
                          2. Roy Halladay
                          3. Todd Helton
                          4. Andruw Jones
                          5. Edgar Martinez
                          6. Mike Mussina
                          7. Roy Oswalt
                          8. Mariano Rivera
                          9. Scott Rolen
                          10. Curt Schilling
                          11. Billy Wagner
                          12 Larry Walker

Again, a dozen superior non p.e.d. candidates.
                          There is as much or more speculation that Helton used PEDs as there is for Kent. That's the thing about the "steroid era". Nobody knows who was dirty and who was clean.
                          They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
                            There is as much or more speculation that Helton used PEDs as there is for Kent. That's the thing about the "steroid era". Nobody knows who was dirty and who was clean.
                            And there were rumors about Rolen for awhile too. Nobody really knows. A lot of people act like they know - but nobody really knows.
                            1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
                            The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X