X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blackout805
    Lewis

Hack Wilson's biography "Fouled Away" is a good book
    I didn't know Wilson had a biography. I'll check it out!
    Last edited by Honus Wagner Rules; 02-21-2006, 04:23 PM.
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules
      I didn't know Wilson had a biography. I'll check it out!
      I consider that a must read...after I clear out my present backlog of books. Unfortunately, it is usually the sad stories that are the most interesting, so I think that Hack's life should be a good read.
      "I throw him four wide ones, then try to pick him off first base." - Preacher Roe on pitching to Musial

Comment

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules
        Bill James had a great write up about Hack Wilson in his Managers book. He was contrasting the different managing styles of John McGraw and Joe McCarthy. mcGraw had Wilson and he couldn't do anything with him. The Giants "lost" Wilson in some short of draft mixup. McGraw blamed the Giants front office. Anyway, under McCarthy, Wilson blossomed. According to James, McCarthy realized that Wilson had somewhat of an inferiority complex and McCarthy would contantly encourage and pump Wilson up. The moment McCarthy left the Cubs Wilson went down hill. I'm sure his drinking was part as that as well. I'll dig out James book and post the article.
        Hack and Hornsby, McCarthy's replacement, passionately hated each other. The recent Hornsby biography has a great shot of the two supposedly shaking hands and making up, but the men are clearly not looking each other in the eye at all.
        I'll have to make a copy of that one!
        "I throw him four wide ones, then try to pick him off first base." - Preacher Roe on pitching to Musial

Comment

As sort of an aside to Hack Wilson, I remember the famous story when Dave Kingman came to the Cubs and he was negotiating his contract. (paraphrasing here) He wanted a performance clause that he'd get a bonus if he broke the team record for RBI's, which the Cubs readily agreed to. Dave seemed to sense something and casually asked what the team record was. He was told 190.

That's a meeting I'd have liked to be in on!

KH14
          “Well, I like to say I’m completely focused, right? I mean, the game’s on the line. It’s not like I’m thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer — it tastes friggin’ awesome!"--Brian Wilson

Comment

when I think of Hack I also put myself in the place of a pitcher who had to throw to him. imagine, all that power and that small strike zone.
            Johnny
            Delusion, Life's Coping Mechanism

Comment

Originally posted by KHenry14
              As sort of an aside to Hack Wilson, I remember the famous story when Dave Kingman came to the Cubs and he was negotiating his contract. (paraphrasing here) He wanted a performance clause that he'd get a bonus if he broke the team record for RBI's, which the Cubs readily agreed to. Dave seemed to sense something and casually asked what the team record was. He was told 190.

That's a meeting I'd have liked to be in on!

KH14
              Great story!!!
              Couldn't happen to a better guy than Kingman.
              Dave should have asked for bonus for playing a full season and hitting less than 30 singles and 10 doubles, but more than 30 HR.

Comment

Originally posted by johnny
                and 'happy hour' is now an uninterrupted sixty minute nap on the couch

ps: i am a member of that club
                LOL
                I just got up from my nap, and am so offended by your post that I'm going back to sleep!
                My sleeping problems are more complicated...I tend to fall asleep early in the evening, then wake up around 10pm and stay up til 3am or so...it's a weird routine, but I get a lot done early in the morning.

Comment

I think about how his height and weight and home runs and RBI are perfectly symmetrical:

5'6" 190 lbs.
                  56 HRs 190 RBI

What are the odds of that happening? I also reject the 191 RBI thing. Ruins all my fun.
                  Last edited by Metal Ed; 03-24-2006, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Metal Ed
                    I think about how his height and weight and home runs and RBI are perfectly symmetrical:

5'6" 190 lbs.
                    56 HRs 190 RBI

What are the odds of that happening? I also reject the 191 RBI thing. Ruins all my fun.
                    hey, very good numerology.

i think hack would also point out 24 beers in a case/24 hours in a day...coincidence, hack wouldn't think so.

Johnny
                    Delusion, Life's Coping Mechanism

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected]
                      Why don't those who can, post some photos of Hack? Anyone have that ability. I can remember about 4 or 5 good shots of him.

http://www.baseball-fever.com/showpo...36&postcount=4

http://www.baseball-fever.com/showpo...&postcount=178

Bill
                      Here's a better version of the one I use in my signature. My favorite baseball photo ever. I wonder what some of the batting analysis ubermen from Baseball 101 would have to say about this kind of extreme rotation hitting?
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by hellborn
                        Here's a better version of the one I use in my signature. My favorite baseball photo ever. I wonder what some of the batting analysis ubermen from Baseball 101 would have to say about this kind of extreme rotation hitting?
                        Now THAT'S what I'm talking about! Yeah, man. Go Hellborn. You got the spirit. That was the exact one I too was thinking of!

Bill

Comment

Hack Wilson, Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Bill Burgess; 03-31-2006, 12:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hellborn
                            Who knows what they'd say. It's actually not that bad though. The head is out of whack, and his torso is extremely rotated from momentum, but good balance, belt toward the pitcher. Hard to tell much about the actual swing, since it's so late after the bat passed through the hitting zone. Musta liked those belt high pitches eh.

Here's a kindler, gentler shot for ya.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Sultan_1895-1948
                              Who knows what they'd say. It's actually not that bad though. The head is out of whack, and his torso is extremely rotated from momentum, but good balance, belt toward the pitcher. Hard to tell much about the actual swing, since it's so late after the bat passed through the hitting zone. Musta liked those belt high pitches eh.

Here's a kindler, gentler shot for ya.
                              That is a really cool shot, Sultan. I would love to find one of those wagons in an antique shop someday. I wonder if they were sized just right to carry a keg? Or, maybe they were perfect for wheeling Hack home after a long night of socializing?
                              Thanks for posting it!

Comment

When I think of hack Wilson, I think of John McGraw being an absolute bonehead for letting him get away.
                                "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
                                Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X