X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sultan_1895-1948
    replied
    Originally posted by hellborn
    Just found this one...what's going on with that front foot? Maybe he's getting his feet ready to head to first? Looks different to me...
    Just looks like his weight is so far back, that it caused his front foot to come off the ground. The dirt under the foot makes it appear like he's going to be planting his left foot back, and bringing his right one forward to run out of the box. Who knows that that dude though, lol. "Hack" definately fit him.

Is that the ball right by the catcher's mask, fouled back? Seems like it should be further away with Hack being so far around in his swing...maybe that's just a fan with a white shirt?
    I thought the same thing. That maybe the balls was fouled straight back off the catchers mask or something, and it's gonna just fall harmlessly to the ground. If you look though, it appears to just be a derby hat; a fan looking down or something. The size of it seems really small to be a baseball, and the shape is a bit off. If it were 1915, then I could see the ball being deformed, but even then, it wouldn't be so white. I blew up a bigger shot for ya.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• hellborn
    replied
    Here's a better version of the one I use in my signature. My favorite baseball photo ever. I wonder what some of the batting analysis ubermen from Baseball 101 would have to say about this kind of extreme rotation hitting?
    Is that the ball right by the catcher's mask, fouled back? Seems like it should be further away with Hack being so far around in his swing...maybe that's just a fan with a white shirt?

Leave a comment:

• hellborn
    replied
    Originally posted by Sultan_1895-1948
    Who knows what they'd say. It's actually not that bad though. The head is out of whack, and his torso is extremely rotated from momentum, but good balance, belt toward the pitcher. Hard to tell much about the actual swing, since it's so late after the bat passed through the hitting zone. Musta liked those belt high pitches eh.

Here's a kindler, gentler shot for ya.
    Just found this one...what's going on with that front foot? Maybe he's getting his feet ready to head to first? Looks different to me...
    Attached Files
    Last edited by hellborn; 04-02-2006, 10:00 PM. Reason: fixed photo

Leave a comment:

• runningshoes
    replied
    When I think of hack Wilson, I think of John McGraw being an absolute bonehead for letting him get away.

Leave a comment:

• hellborn
    replied
    Originally posted by Sultan_1895-1948
    Who knows what they'd say. It's actually not that bad though. The head is out of whack, and his torso is extremely rotated from momentum, but good balance, belt toward the pitcher. Hard to tell much about the actual swing, since it's so late after the bat passed through the hitting zone. Musta liked those belt high pitches eh.

That is a really cool shot, Sultan. I would love to find one of those wagons in an antique shop someday. I wonder if they were sized just right to carry a keg? Or, maybe they were perfect for wheeling Hack home after a long night of socializing?
    Thanks for posting it!

Leave a comment:

• Sultan_1895-1948
    replied
    Here's a better version of the one I use in my signature. My favorite baseball photo ever. I wonder what some of the batting analysis ubermen from Baseball 101 would have to say about this kind of extreme rotation hitting?

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Bill Burgess
    replied
    Hack Wilson, Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Bill Burgess; 03-31-2006, 12:54 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Bill Burgess
    replied
    Now THAT'S what I'm talking about! Yeah, man. Go Hellborn. You got the spirit. That was the exact one I too was thinking of!

Bill

Leave a comment:

• hellborn
    replied
    Originally posted by [email protected]
    Why don't those who can, post some photos of Hack? Anyone have that ability. I can remember about 4 or 5 good shots of him.

http://www.baseball-fever.com/showpo...36&postcount=4

http://www.baseball-fever.com/showpo...&postcount=178

Bill
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• johnny
    replied
    Originally posted by Metal Ed
    I think about how his height and weight and home runs and RBI are perfectly symmetrical:

5'6" 190 lbs.
    56 HRs 190 RBI

What are the odds of that happening? I also reject the 191 RBI thing. Ruins all my fun.
    hey, very good numerology.

i think hack would also point out 24 beers in a case/24 hours in a day...coincidence, hack wouldn't think so.

Leave a comment:

• Metal Ed
    replied
    I think about how his height and weight and home runs and RBI are perfectly symmetrical:

5'6" 190 lbs.
    56 HRs 190 RBI

What are the odds of that happening? I also reject the 191 RBI thing. Ruins all my fun.
    Last edited by Metal Ed; 03-24-2006, 03:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

• hellborn
    replied
    Originally posted by johnny
    and 'happy hour' is now an uninterrupted sixty minute nap on the couch

ps: i am a member of that club
    LOL
    I just got up from my nap, and am so offended by your post that I'm going back to sleep!
    My sleeping problems are more complicated...I tend to fall asleep early in the evening, then wake up around 10pm and stay up til 3am or so...it's a weird routine, but I get a lot done early in the morning.

Leave a comment:

• hellborn
    replied
    Originally posted by KHenry14
    As sort of an aside to Hack Wilson, I remember the famous story when Dave Kingman came to the Cubs and he was negotiating his contract. (paraphrasing here) He wanted a performance clause that he'd get a bonus if he broke the team record for RBI's, which the Cubs readily agreed to. Dave seemed to sense something and casually asked what the team record was. He was told 190.

That's a meeting I'd have liked to be in on!

KH14
    Great story!!!
    Couldn't happen to a better guy than Kingman.
    Dave should have asked for bonus for playing a full season and hitting less than 30 singles and 10 doubles, but more than 30 HR.

Leave a comment:

• johnny
    replied
    when I think of Hack I also put myself in the place of a pitcher who had to throw to him. imagine, all that power and that small strike zone.

Leave a comment:

• KHenry14
    replied
    As sort of an aside to Hack Wilson, I remember the famous story when Dave Kingman came to the Cubs and he was negotiating his contract. (paraphrasing here) He wanted a performance clause that he'd get a bonus if he broke the team record for RBI's, which the Cubs readily agreed to. Dave seemed to sense something and casually asked what the team record was. He was told 190.

That's a meeting I'd have liked to be in on!

KH14

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X