No announcement yet.

Cobb vs. Speaker - as 5 tool players

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry, folks, but I messed up. I may have misinterpreted the question. I was thinking strictly in terms of the 5 tools.....I voted for Speaker.

The reason is that I didn't think Ty's arm was all that great whole Tris' was. Therefore, I voted for Speaker thinking that he had all 5 tools.

But Cobb was a better hitter for average, had as much or more power, was faster and a better base runner/stealer. Speaker had him on defense and throwing.

But Ty's edge in hitting and running surpass Tris' advantages of fielding and throwing.

Can I somehow change my vote to Ty??? No, Bill Burgess hasn't threatened me.

Yankees Fan Since 1957

Comment

Originally posted by yanks0714
      Can I somehow change my vote to Ty??? No, Bill Burgess hasn't threatened me.
      What? You didn't get the PM? I hate when that happens! Seriously, I changed the vote totals, but the software doesn't allow for moving your name into the other column.

Bill

Comment

The nod goes to Cobb here. His offensive prowess greatly overcomes any defensive shortcomings he may have had compared to Speaker.

Comment

Let's be clear and define "5-tools". It's quite close I think.

1- Hitting for average (Cobb)
          2- Hitting for power (even?)
          3- Baserunning skills and speed (Cobb)
          4- Throwing ability (Speaker?)
          5- Fielding abilities (Speaker)
          Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

They each win in 2 1/2 of the skills matchups- Cobb for average and baserunning, Speaker for fielding and throwing, tossup for power. But even if you throw power to Speaker, Cobb has the more important skills, and the margins are probably at least similar.

I'd say Cobb by a safe distance, albeit not a huge one.
            Found in a fortune cookie On Thursday, August 18th, 2005: "Hard words break no bones, Kind words butter no parsnips."

1955 1959 1963 1965 1981 1988 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
              Let's be clear and define "5-tools". It's quite close I think.

1- Hitting for average (Cobb)
              2- Hitting for power (even?)
              3- Baserunning skills and speed (Cobb)
              4- Throwing ability (Speaker?)
              5- Fielding abilities (Speaker)
              I think you did pretty good there Adam. Power, in that era, and taking the extra base, was largely dependent on your #3, which Cobb had an edge in. Even aside from that however, if you had them go mano a mano in an old fashioned distance hitting exhibition, on the same field, vs a pitcher of their choice, I believe Cobb would outdistance Speaker. He studied hitting in and out...more focused on his desired technique which he honed to a T, but he understood the physics behind, and was capable of, a "controlled" swinging from the heels as well.
              Last edited by Sultan_1895-1948; 03-07-2013, 11:09 PM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X