Announcement

Collapse

Updated Baseball Fever Policy

Baseball Fever Policy

I. Purpose of this announcement:

This announcement describes the policies pertaining to the operation of Baseball Fever.

Baseball Fever is a moderated baseball message board which encourages and facilitates research and information exchange among fans of our national pastime. The intent of the Baseball Fever Policy is to ensure that Baseball Fever remains an extremely high quality, extremely low "noise" environment.

Baseball Fever is administrated by three principal administrators:
webmaster - Baseball Fever Owner
The Commissioner - Baseball Fever Administrator
Macker - Baseball Fever Administrator

And a group of forum specific super moderators. The role of the moderator is to keep Baseball Fever smoothly and to screen posts for compliance with our policy. The moderators are ALL volunteer positions, so please be patient and understanding of any delays you might experience in correspondence.

II. Comments about our policy:

Any suggestions on this policy may be made directly to the webmaster.

III. Acknowledgments:

This document was based on a similar policy used by SABR.

IV. Requirements for participation on Baseball Fever:

Participation on Baseball Fever is available to all baseball fans with a valid email address, as verified by the forum's automated system, which then in turn creates a single validated account. Multiple accounts by a single user are prohibited.

By registering, you agree to adhere to the policies outlined in this document and to conduct yourself accordingly. Abuse of the forum, by repeated failure to abide by these policies, will result in your access being blocked to the forum entirely.

V. Baseball Fever Netiquette:

Participants at Baseball Fever are required to adhere to these principles, which are outlined in this section.
a. All posts to Baseball Fever should be written in clear, concise English, with proper grammar and accurate spelling. The use of abbreviations should be kept to a minimum; when abbreviation is necessary, they should be either well-known (such as etc.), or explained on their first use in your post.

b. Conciseness is a key attribute of a good post.

c. Quote only the portion of a post to which you are responding.

d. Standard capitalization and punctuation make a large difference in the readability of a post. TYPING IN ALL CAPITALS is considered to be "shouting"; it is a good practice to limit use of all capitals to words which you wish to emphasize.

e. It is our policy NOT to transmit any defamatory or illegal materials.

f. Personal attacks of any type against Baseball Fever readers will not be tolerated. In these instances the post will be copied by a moderator and/or administrator, deleted from the site, then sent to the member who made the personal attack via a Private Message (PM) along with a single warning. Members who choose to not listen and continue personal attacks will be banned from the site.

g. It is important to remember that many contextual clues available in face-to-face discussion, such as tone of voice and facial expression, are lost in the electronic forum. As a poster, try to be alert for phrasing that might be misinterpreted by your audience to be offensive; as a reader, remember to give the benefit of the doubt and not to take umbrage too easily. There are many instances in which a particular choice of words or phrasing can come across as being a personal attack where none was intended.

h. The netiquette described above (a-g) often uses the term "posts", but applies equally to Private Messages.

VI. Baseball Fever User Signature Policy

A signature is a piece of text that some members may care to have inserted at the end of ALL of their posts, a little like the closing of a letter. You can set and / or change your signature by editing your profile in the UserCP. Since it is visible on ALL your posts, the following policy must be adhered to:

Signature Composition
Font size limit: No larger than size 2 (This policy is a size 2)
Style: Bold and italics are permissible
Character limit: No more than 500 total characters
Lines: No more than 4 lines
Colors: Most colors are permissible, but those which are hard to discern against the gray background (yellow, white, pale gray) should be avoided
Images/Graphics: Allowed, but nothing larger than 20k and Content rules must be followed

Signature Content
No advertising is permitted
Nothing political or religious
Nothing obscene, vulgar, defamatory or derogatory
Links to personal blogs/websites are permissible - with the webmaster's written consent
A Link to your Baseball Fever Blog does not require written consent and is recommended
Quotes must be attributed. Non-baseball quotes are permissible as long as they are not religious or political

Please adhere to these rules when you create your signature. Failure to do so will result in a request to comply by a moderator. If you do not comply within a reasonable amount of time, the signature will be removed and / or edited by an Administrator. Baseball Fever reserves the right to edit and / or remove any or all of your signature line at any time without contacting the account holder.

VII. Appropriate and inappropriate topics for Baseball Fever:

Most concisely, the test for whether a post is appropriate for Baseball Fever is: "Does this message discuss our national pastime in an interesting manner?" This post can be direct or indirect: posing a question, asking for assistance, providing raw data or citations, or discussing and constructively critiquing existing posts. In general, a broad interpretation of "baseball related" is used.

Baseball Fever is not a promotional environment. Advertising of products, web sites, etc., whether for profit or not-for-profit, is not permitted. At the webmaster's discretion, brief one-time announcements for products or services of legitimate baseball interest and usefulness may be allowed. If advertising is posted to the site it will be copied by a moderator and/or administrator, deleted from the site, then sent to the member who made the post via a Private Message (PM) along with a single warning. Members who choose to not listen and continue advertising will be banned from the site. If the advertising is spam-related, pornography-based, or a "visit-my-site" type post / private message, no warning at all will be provided, and the member will be banned immediately without a warning.

It is considered appropriate to post a URL to a page which specifically and directly answers a question posted on the list (for example, it would be permissible to post a link to a page containing home-road splits, even on a site which has advertising or other commercial content; however, it would not be appropriate to post the URL of the main page of the site). The site reserves the right to limit the frequency of such announcements by any individual or group.

In keeping with our test for a proper topic, posting to Baseball Fever should be treated as if you truly do care. This includes posting information that is, to the best of your knowledge, complete and accurate at the time you post. Any errors or ambiguities you catch later should be acknowledged and corrected in the thread, since Baseball Fever is sometimes considered to be a valuable reference for research information.

VIII. Role of the moderator:

When a post is submitted to Baseball Fever, it is forwarded by the server automatically and seen immediately. The moderator may:
a. Leave the thread exactly like it was submitted. This is the case 95% of the time.

b. Immediately delete the thread as inappropriate for Baseball Fever. Examples include advertising, personal attacks, or spam. This is the case 1% of the time.

c. Move the thread. If a member makes a post about the Marlins in the Yankees forum it will be moved to the appropriate forum. This is the case 3% of the time.

d. Edit the message due to an inappropriate item. This is the case 1% of the time. There have been new users who will make a wonderful post, then add to their signature line (where your name / handle appears) a tagline that is a pure advertisement. This tagline will be removed, a note will be left in the message so he/she is aware of the edit, and personal contact will be made to the poster telling them what has been edited and what actions need to be taken to prevent further edits.

The moderators perform no checks on posts to verify factual or logical accuracy. While he/she may point out gross errors in factual data in replies to the thread, the moderator does not act as an "accuracy" editor. Also moderation is not a vehicle for censorship of individuals and/or opinions, and the moderator's decisions should not be taken personally.

IX. Legal aspects of participation in Baseball Fever:

By submitting a post to Baseball Fever, you grant Baseball Fever permission to distribute your message to the forum. Other rights pertaining to the post remain with the ORIGINAL author, and you may not redistribute or retransmit any posts by any others, in whole or in part, without the express consent of the original author.

The messages appearing on Baseball Fever contain the opinions and views of their respective authors and are not necessarily those of Baseball Fever, or of the Baseball Almanac family of sites.

Sincerely,

Sean Holtz, Webmaster of Baseball Almanac & Baseball Fever
www.baseball-almanac.com | www.baseball-fever.com
"Baseball Almanac: Sharing Baseball. Sharing History."
See more
See less

Relationship between modern sabermetrics and history of the game

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Relationship between modern sabermetrics and history of the game

    It seems like most young sabermetricians don't care much about the history. The guys of fangraphs mostly all say they don't care about the hall. Also they don't seem to have much respect from the pre 1980 players.


    especially those modern data driven player development guys like driveline really like to **** on historic players stating things like "babe Ruth couldn't hit A ball pitching" or 1950s baseball is like my Sunday league.

    do you think this is a problem? The first wave of sabermetrics like Bill James was quite interested in the history but with the new guys It seems different.
    I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

  • #2
    Originally posted by dominik View Post
    It seems like most young sabermetricians don't care much about the history. The guys of fangraphs mostly all say they don't care about the hall. Also they don't seem to have much respect from the pre 1980 players.


    especially those modern data driven player development guys like driveline really like to **** on historic players stating things like "babe Ruth couldn't hit A ball pitching" or 1950s baseball is like my Sunday league.

    do you think this is a problem? The first wave of sabermetrics like Bill James was quite interested in the history but with the new guys It seems different.
    People who say things like 'Babe Ruth couldn't hit A ball pitching' and stuff like that are either totally ignorant, which is unlikely, or just looking for attention. They are looking to gain the trust of the lowest common denominator, who have little knowledge of the game's history. Make a bold, shocking statement and people will listen, and some will likely think you're a genius because of what you've 'discovered'. it's similar to Bill James once saying Roy White was better than Jim Rice.

    Of course they really don't believe it.

    I could come out and say something like 'Giancarlo Stanton wouldn't make a major league team in the dead ball era', and get similar reactions, even though that statement is much more likely to be true.
    Last edited by willshad; 12-06-2018, 04:42 AM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Phil hughes called out whitey ford as an 80 mph pitcher


      https://twitter.com/PJHughes45/statu...227848198?s=19
      I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by willshad View Post

        it's similar to Bill James once saying Roy White was better than Jim Rice.
        Roy White was better than Jim Rice.

        .


        19th Century League Champion
        1900s League Champion
        1910s League Champion

        1930s League Division Winner
        1950s League Champion
        1960 Strat-O-Matic League Regular Season Winner
        1960s League Division Winner
        1970s League Champion
        1971 Strat-O-Matic League Runner Up
        1980s League Champion
        All Time Greats League Champion

        Comment


        • #5
          Every generation likes to act as if they invented the wheel.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by PVNICK View Post
            Every generation likes to act as if they invented the wheel.
            Pretty much.

            Also, fangraphs is focused more on analysis of current major league players hence the lack of focus of baseball history . But they do delve into baseball history on occasion. When Stan Musial died they wrote about The Man.

            Stan Musial 1920-2013

            Translating Stan Musial’s Numbers into 2012 Norms

            Stan Musial Hit The Heck Out Of Some Triples
            Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by PVNICK View Post
              Every generation likes to act as if they invented the wheel.
              This.

              When I was a 20-something regular attendee of local SABR meetings and a loyal reader of SABR publications, in the 1980s, I rarely read the historical accounts of the game. Books on baseball history may or may not have been SABR publications, I ignored them equally. Stat books I devoured, and then practiced on a spreadsheet when I had time.

              With time, I better appreciated history, including baseball history. Ken Burns rocks, and he would rock had he never done docs on baseball.

              The current generation of millenials, and some of the generation just preceeding them, haven't reached their age of enlightenment. They will, and so I discount their views. Their next flavor of the month statistical darling will happen by, and today's statistical darling will be nostalgia soon.

              The beautiful thing about history is that human nature doesn't change (much), and that makes history relevant. Meanwhile, I don't buy at all the ballyhoo that yesterday's stars were short of blessings on muscle. In the Willie Mays bio book The Life The Legend, by James Hirsch, there is a picture of Willie with his shirt off as a 19-year old. He hadn't made the majors yet, and he was cut. C....U.....T. It makes you look twice when you realize that he could not possibly have had a chain of gyms in Alabama in the late 1940s. Nor could he even work out with local high school boys. Then you read that Willie was discouraged from playing much football because his friends and family were concerned he might be injured and risk his baseball career. Yes, Willie Mays was on his local high school football team, on the bench. (!!!)

              Yet there he is like a mall wall poster outside Abercrombie and Fitch.

              Fangraphs is a very good site. Yet, one of the reasons I have lost enthusiasm for stat-head logic is the vacuous base of the logic. OPS? With the double counting of first base, and the non-common denominators in its calculation? A single one-size-fits-all statistic (WAR) for every player? Comparing hitters and pitchers into one statistic is NOT comparing apples and oranges? Ahhh... humor. Millennials, let 'em be, as long as history is appreciated once one such Millennial generation member becomes Baseball Commissioner. And, I'll trust history will win out on that.
              Catfish Hunter, RIP. Mark Fidrych, RIP. Skip Caray, RIP. Tony Gwynn, #19, RIP

              A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. -- Winston Churchill. (Please take note that I've recently become aware of how this quote applies to a certain US president. This is a coincidence, and the quote was first added to this signature too far back to remember when).

              Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test first and the lesson later. -- Dan Quisenberry.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by abolishthedh View Post
                In the Willie Mays bio book The Life The Legend, by James Hirsch, there is a picture of Willie with his shirt off as a 19-year old. He hadn't made the majors yet, and he was cut. C....U.....T. It makes you look twice when you realize that he could not possibly have had a chain of gyms in Alabama in the late 1940s. Nor could he even work out with local high school boys. Then you read that Willie was discouraged from playing much football because his friends and family were concerned he might be injured and risk his baseball career. Yes, Willie Mays was on his local high school football team, on the bench. (!!!)

                Yet there he is like a mall wall poster outside Abercrombie and Fitch.
                In high school I read his autobiography, I remember seeing a picture of him at the doctor's office. They were trying to hook him up to a diagnostic machine, but there wasn't enough fat on his back for the suction cups to stick!
                The only way to pitch to Tony (Gwynn) is throw the ball down the middle and hope he hits it at someone." - Al Leiter

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by abolishthedh View Post

                  This.

                  When I was a 20-something regular attendee of local SABR meetings and a loyal reader of SABR publications, in the 1980s, I rarely read the historical accounts of the game. Books on baseball history may or may not have been SABR publications, I ignored them equally. Stat books I devoured, and then practiced on a spreadsheet when I had time.

                  With time, I better appreciated history, including baseball history. Ken Burns rocks, and he would rock had he never done docs on baseball.

                  The current generation of millenials, and some of the generation just preceeding them, haven't reached their age of enlightenment. They will, and so I discount their views. Their next flavor of the month statistical darling will happen by, and today's statistical darling will be nostalgia soon.

                  The beautiful thing about history is that human nature doesn't change (much), and that makes history relevant. Meanwhile, I don't buy at all the ballyhoo that yesterday's stars were short of blessings on muscle. In the Willie Mays bio book The Life The Legend, by James Hirsch, there is a picture of Willie with his shirt off as a 19-year old. He hadn't made the majors yet, and he was cut. C....U.....T. It makes you look twice when you realize that he could not possibly have had a chain of gyms in Alabama in the late 1940s. Nor could he even work out with local high school boys. Then you read that Willie was discouraged from playing much football because his friends and family were concerned he might be injured and risk his baseball career. Yes, Willie Mays was on his local high school football team, on the bench. (!!!)

                  Yet there he is like a mall wall poster outside Abercrombie and Fitch.

                  Fangraphs is a very good site. Yet, one of the reasons I have lost enthusiasm for stat-head logic is the vacuous base of the logic. OPS? With the double counting of first base, and the non-common denominators in its calculation? A single one-size-fits-all statistic (WAR) for every player? Comparing hitters and pitchers into one statistic is NOT comparing apples and oranges? Ahhh... humor. Millennials, let 'em be, as long as history is appreciated once one such Millennial generation member becomes Baseball Commissioner. And, I'll trust history will win out on that.
                  To be fair no saber writer uses OPS anymore, they are aware it is flawed and use wRC+ now. OPS+ was state of the art 20 years ago.
                  I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Another case of babe disrespecting. Adam ottavino said on mlb.com that he would strike out Ruth every single time.
                    I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by dominik View Post
                      Another case of babe disrespecting. Adam ottavino said on mlb.com that he would strike out Ruth every single time.
                      Then Ruth would turn around and strike Ottavino out every single time.
                      Hell, 25 year old Collin McHugh with his 51 ERA+ would strike Ottavino out every single time.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by dominik View Post

                        To be fair no saber writer uses OPS anymore, they are aware it is flawed and use wRC+ now. OPS+ was state of the art 20 years ago.
                        If fangraphs wasn't such a pain in the ass to navigate - not because of the interface but because it is slow and makes my computer slow - I'd use wRC+ for sure. I mean you never should add two percentages together. Not to mention leadoff batters are unfairly penalized by it because they don't hit for power and aren't expected to. It's not so much OPS but the fact that people compare them by a stat (SLG%) that is really just a bonus.
                        "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by bluesky5 View Post

                          Not to mention leadoff batters are unfairly penalized by it because they don't hit for power and aren't expected to.
                          What backwards logic this is. First off plenty of leadoff batters hit with power, Ever heard of Charlie Blackmon and George Springer? Secondly many hitters are stuck in the leadoff spot BECAUSE they don't hit with power. Leadoff hitters are not penalized. Hitters who don't hit with power are penalized, and rightfully so, because they don't create runs at the same level of hitters who do hit with power.
                          .


                          19th Century League Champion
                          1900s League Champion
                          1910s League Champion

                          1930s League Division Winner
                          1950s League Champion
                          1960 Strat-O-Matic League Regular Season Winner
                          1960s League Division Winner
                          1970s League Champion
                          1971 Strat-O-Matic League Runner Up
                          1980s League Champion
                          All Time Greats League Champion

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by SavoyBG View Post

                            What backwards logic this is. First off plenty of leadoff batters hit with power, Ever heard of Charlie Blackmon and George Springer? Secondly many hitters are stuck in the leadoff spot BECAUSE they don't hit with power. Leadoff hitters are not penalized. Hitters who don't hit with power are penalized, and rightfully so, because they don't create runs at the same level of hitters who do hit with power.
                            No I never have. Are they marxists?

                            "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

                            Comment

                            Ad Widget

                            Collapse
                            Working...
                            X