Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greatest hitters by position

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Greatest hitters by position

    C Piazza
    1B Gehrig
    2B Hornsby
    SS Arod
    3B Schmidt
    RF Ruth
    CF Mantle
    LF Williams
    P Ruth
    DH Martinez

    Honorable mention
    C Gibson. Bench, Dickey
    1B Foxx, Pujols, Thomas
    2B Collins, LaJoie, Morgan
    SS Wagner, Vaughn, Garciaparra
    3B Mathews, Jones, Brett
    RF Musial, Aaron, Ott
    CF Cobb, Mays, DiMaggio
    LF Bonds, Ramirez, Yastrzemski
    P Ferrell
    DH Ortiz, Thomas, Molitor

    Choices reflect both rate and counting stats. E.g., Thomas could be listed as the best DH of all time, but he didn't play that position primarily. Garciaparra's career ended relatively early because of injuries, but in his peak he was an unusually good hitting SS.
    Last edited by Stolensingle; 01-11-2019, 05:05 PM.

  • #2
    I would put Chipper ahead of Schmidt and Cobb ahead of Mantle. Big Papi as the DH.

    Comment


    • #3
      Never mind.
      Last edited by Honus Wagner Rules; 01-12-2019, 09:02 AM.
      Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

      Comment


      • #4
        C Piazza
        1B Gehrig
        2B Hornsby
        SS A-Rod
        3B Chipper
        RF Ruth
        CF Cobb
        LF Bonds - by a hair over Williams
        P Ferrell
        DH Martinez
        My top 10 players:

        1. Babe Ruth
        2. Barry Bonds
        3. Ty Cobb
        4. Ted Williams
        5. Willie Mays
        6. Alex Rodriguez
        7. Hank Aaron
        8. Honus Wagner
        9. Lou Gehrig
        10. Mickey Mantle

        Comment


        • #5
          Edgar and Papi are REAL close IMO.

          Ortiz, 2002-2016 2078 G 8864 PA 146 OPS+
          Martinez, career: 2055 G 8674 PA 147 OPS+

          If we count post season, and counting stats, Ortiz pulls ahead pretty comfortably.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by willshad View Post
            Edgar and Papi are REAL close IMO.

            Ortiz, 2002-2016 2078 G 8864 PA 146 OPS+
            Martinez, career: 2055 G 8674 PA 147 OPS+

            If we count post season, and counting stats, Ortiz pulls ahead pretty comfortably.
            Why are you including Edgar's whole career (including his time at 3B), but only Ortiz's seasons after 2002?

            Shouldn't we either include both careers in their entireties OR both just as DHs?

            1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

            1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

            1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015


            The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
            The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Bothrops Atrox View Post

              Why are you including Edgar's whole career (including his time at 3B), but only Ortiz's seasons after 2002?

              Shouldn't we either include both careers in their entireties OR both just as DHs?
              Exactly. Edgar was clearly the more valuable player of the two. Plus, unlike Ortiz, he never failed a PED test (for those who care about such things).

              Edgar 38.6 WAA
              Ortiz 20.2 WAA

              I hate to use just one stat - we could also point out that Edgar was a rare .300/.400/.500 hitter for his career while Ortiz isn't close to being a .300 BA or .400 OBP guy - but the WAA and WAR differences are just massive.

              Let's throw in Edgars two batting titles, 3 OBP titles and one OPS title. Ortiz led in OBP 1x and OPS 1x. In his final season. At age 40. Not suspicious at all.....
              Last edited by GiambiJuice; 01-13-2019, 10:20 AM.
              My top 10 players:

              1. Babe Ruth
              2. Barry Bonds
              3. Ty Cobb
              4. Ted Williams
              5. Willie Mays
              6. Alex Rodriguez
              7. Hank Aaron
              8. Honus Wagner
              9. Lou Gehrig
              10. Mickey Mantle

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post

                Exactly. Edgar was clearly the more valuable player of the two. Plus, unlike Ortiz, he never failed a PED test (for those who care about such things).

                Edgar 38.6 WAA
                Ortiz 20.2 WAA

                I hate to use just one stat - we could also point out that Edgar was a rare .300/.400/.500 hitter for his career while Ortiz isn't close to being a .300 BA or .400 OBP guy - but the WAA and WAR differences are just massive.

                Let's throw in Edgars two batting titles, 3 OBP titles and one OPS title. Ortiz led in OBP 1x and OPS 1x. In his final season. At age 40. Not suspicious at all.....
                I just think we should compare them as career hitters or hitters as dhs. Comparing Martinez's whole career (including decline phase) with only Ortiz after his worst 6 seasons (just to get their games played numbers similar) does neither of those things.
                And it isn't a surprise why this was done. If we only compare them both as DHs or both only after their first 6 seasons, or both by their entire careers, Martinez's ops+ jumps to a 5-7 point lead.
                ​​​​
                ​​​​​

                1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

                1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

                1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015


                The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
                The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Bothrops Atrox View Post

                  I just think we should compare them as career hitters or hitters as dhs. Comparing Martinez's whole career (including decline phase) with only Ortiz after his worst 6 seasons (just to get their games played numbers similar) does neither of those things.
                  And it isn't a surprise why this was done. If we only compare them both as DHs or both only after their first 6 seasons, or both by their entire careers, Martinez's ops+ jumps to a 5-7 point lead.
                  ​​​​
                  ​​​​​

                  Very good point, I fully agree.
                  My top 10 players:

                  1. Babe Ruth
                  2. Barry Bonds
                  3. Ty Cobb
                  4. Ted Williams
                  5. Willie Mays
                  6. Alex Rodriguez
                  7. Hank Aaron
                  8. Honus Wagner
                  9. Lou Gehrig
                  10. Mickey Mantle

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Greatest:
                    C - Mike Piazza
                    1B - Lou Gehrig
                    2B - Rogers Hornsby
                    SS - Hans Wagner
                    3B - George Brett
                    LF - Ted Williams
                    CF - Ty Cobb
                    RF - Babe Ruth
                    P - Wes Ferrell

                    2nd greatest:
                    C - Josh Gibson
                    1B - Cap Anson
                    2B - Nap Lajoie
                    SS - Derek Jeter
                    3B - Chipper Jones
                    LF - Barry Bonds
                    CF - Willie Mays
                    RF - Henry Aaron
                    P - Bob Lemon

                    3rd greatest:
                    C - Mickey Cochrane
                    1B - Pete Rose
                    2B - Rod Carew
                    SS - Arky Vaughan
                    3B - John McGraw
                    LF - Stan Musial
                    CF - Tris Speaker
                    RF - Tony Gwynn
                    P - Walter Johnson
                    "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Bothrops Atrox View Post

                      Why are you including Edgar's whole career (including his time at 3B), but only Ortiz's seasons after 2002?

                      Shouldn't we either include both careers in their entireties OR both just as DHs?
                      Well I was trying to give each guy an equal number of games and plate appearances. I think we should either include all of Edgar's career or give papi a longevity advantage. Its probably fair to not include his pre Boston days when his Boston career is more or less equal to Edgar's entire career.
                      ​​
                      I don't think its as cut and dry as people are making it seem.
                      Last edited by willshad; 01-13-2019, 11:57 AM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Rose over Pujols, Foxx and Thomas? Speaker over Mantle? Again, this is a ranking just as hitters, not as overall players.

                        I should have pointed out, though, that I began more or less with the twentieth century, as I'm not familiar enough with players before then to judge them.
                        Last edited by Stolensingle; 01-13-2019, 03:16 PM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          C - Piazza
                          1B - Gehrig
                          2B - Hornsby
                          3B - Hmmmmm..I guess Chipper
                          SS - Wagner
                          LF - Williams
                          CF - Cobb
                          RF - Ruth
                          DH - Martinez
                          SP - Ferrell
                          1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

                          1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

                          1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015


                          The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
                          The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            C - Piazza
                            1B - Gehrig
                            2B - Hornsby
                            SS - Wagner
                            3B - Brett
                            LF - Williams
                            CF - Cobb
                            RF - Ruth
                            DH - Martinez
                            SP - Ferrell - I'm assuming Ruth would be cheating, and Bob Caruthers split too much time in the OF

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by PVNICK View Post
                              SP - Ferrell - I'm assuming Ruth would be cheating, and Bob Caruthers split too much time in the OF
                              Al Spalding? Terry Foster?

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X