Matthews/Garvey call

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matthews/Garvey call

Hey all. First time poster hoping you can solve a puzzle for me. For some reason, since my childhood in the mid-70s/early 80s, I have had stuck in my brain the following announcer’s call that I vaguely recall was included in some highlight montage (from This Week in Baseball, maybe?):

“It’s in the corner, Matthews has it. They’re going to wave Garvey! Here’s the throw! HE’S OUT! HE’S OUT! HE’S OUT!”

I have no idea what game this is from but would obviously suspect a Dodgers game (but SD is possible). Internet searches have gotten me nowhere. Was hoping someone might be able to shed some light on this. Or maybe I just imagined the whole thing. Either way, I’d love to know!

Sounds like Gary Matthews threw out Steve Garvey.
    "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

Originally posted by 70sKid View Post
      Hey all. First time poster hoping you can solve a puzzle for me. For some reason, since my childhood in the mid-70s/early 80s, I have had stuck in my brain the following announcer’s call that I vaguely recall was included in some highlight montage (from This Week in Baseball, maybe?):

“It’s in the corner, Matthews has it. They’re going to wave Garvey! Here’s the throw! HE’S OUT! HE’S OUT! HE’S OUT!”

I have no idea what game this is from but would obviously suspect a Dodgers game (but SD is possible). Internet searches have gotten me nowhere. Was hoping someone might be able to shed some light on this. Or maybe I just imagined the whole thing. Either way, I’d love to know!
      Do you remember a more specific time frame and/or the ballpark?
      Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Unfortunately, that's all I can remember. I was a fan of the Dodgers during that late 70s period when I was also playing LL ball, which I would suspect would be the most likely time frame.

Comment

Just go to baseball-reference and look at box scores for games in which they played against each other.
          "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

Awesome, thx! Did not know about baseball-reference. Looks like it was Dodgers/Braves in Fulton County Stadium on 5/16/79. Top 9, Garvey tried to score on a double to right by Dusty Baker. Matthews, playing RF that game, relayed to Hubbard who cut Garvey down at the plate to preserve a 3-2 Braves win. Mystery solved!

Comment

Found a write-up about the game and Garvey hit back-up catcher Bruce Benedict so hard on the play that he knocked him out, but he held onto the ball somehow. He went to the hospital with loosened teeth and facial abrasions. Guess that's why it made the highlight reel.

Comment

Damn dude you got there fast.

Comment

Ha. Well the site made it easy. Sorted by Matthews' defensive assists against the Dodgers. There were generally only 2-3 per year. Thanks again!

Comment

Here is the detailed boxscore from BBRef.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/b...97905160.shtml

Garvey-Mathews.jpg
                    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

How has Rowland Office not made any best name lists?

Comment

Originally posted by bluesky5 View Post
                        How has Rowland Office not made any best name lists?
                        Well, he's no Heinie Manush.
                        They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

Originally posted by 70sKid View Post
                          Found a write-up about the game and Garvey hit back-up catcher Bruce Benedict so hard on the play that he knocked him out, but he held onto the ball somehow. He went to the hospital with loosened teeth and facial abrasions. Guess that's why it made the highlight reel.
                          Garv played football at Mich St

garv.jpg
                          This week's Giant

#5 in games played as a Giant with 1721 , Bill Terry

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X