3 Lefty Grove
    4 Mark McGwire
    5 Rickey Henderson
    6 Home Run Baker
    7 Jose Canseco
    8 Jason Giambi
    9 Miguel Tejada
    10 Eric Chavez
    Last edited by GiambiJuice; 04-19-2019, 01:15 PM.
    My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
    2. Barry Bonds
    3. Ty Cobb
    4. Ted Williams
    5. Willie Mays
    6. Alex Rodriguez
    7. Hank Aaron
    8. Honus Wagner
    9. Lou Gehrig
    10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

Rickey Henderson over Jimmie Foxx ...

Only at a time of WAR.

Comment

Originally posted by redban View Post

Only at a time of WAR.
        Haha, so true.
        My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
        2. Barry Bonds
        3. Ty Cobb
        4. Ted Williams
        5. Willie Mays
        6. Alex Rodriguez
        7. Hank Aaron
        8. Honus Wagner
        9. Lou Gehrig
        10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

1. Jimmie Foxx
          2. Eddie Collins
          3. Lefty Grove
          4. Rube Waddell
          5. Rickey Henderson
          6. Mark McGwire
          7. Reggie Jackson
          8. Frank Baker
          9. Dennis Eckersley
          10. Jason Giambi

Comment

Edited my list because McGwire was way too low at #10. His Oakland career was better than I remembered. 155 OPS+ with Oakland, four of his top 5 WAR seasons came with the A's. Averaged 44 HR and 115 RBI per 162 games. McGwire is still the all-time home run leader in franchise history, 61 ahead of 2nd place Foxx.
            My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
            2. Barry Bonds
            3. Ty Cobb
            4. Ted Williams
            5. Willie Mays
            6. Alex Rodriguez
            7. Hank Aaron
            8. Honus Wagner
            9. Lou Gehrig
            10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

Only at a time of WAR.
              Yeah, that was really my main motivation.

Parenthetically, Although I wouldn't have him above Hunter, Dwayne Murphy was a really terrific player. He was obviously overshadowed by Henderson and (at the time) Armas when they were together as an outfield but he more than held his own. For a time, they were probably the best threesome in the game (and Armas is yet another guy who has been overly downgraded by current methods of estimation.)
              3 6 10 21 29 31 35 41 42 44 47

"All of which makes perfect sense on paper, unless you have actually at any time in your life watched baseball being played." - The Commissioner

Comment

Originally posted by Los Bravos View Post

Yeah, that was really my main motivation.

Parenthetically, Although I wouldn't have him above Hunter, Dwayne Murphy was a really terrific player. He was obviously overshadowed by Henderson and (at the time) Armas when they were together as an outfield but he more than held his own. For a time, they were probably the best threesome in the game (and Armas is yet another guy who has been overly downgraded by current methods of estimation.)
                Armas was an average hitter, below average on the base paths, a small plus on the defensive side.
                He was an above average hitter for 4 years of his career, not a durable guy/didn't get the full PT, so only 5500 PA career.
                BB/K ratio and GDP rates were woeful, very poor clutch performer.
                Not sure where current methods of estimation are overly downgrading his career?

On a separate note, very interested in your Bender take, whether it be his time with the A's, or the minors, thanks
                Jacquelyn Eva Marchand (1983-2017)
                http://www.tezakfuneralhome.com/noti...uelyn-Marchand

Comment

1- Lefty Grove
                  2- Jimmie Foxx
                  3- Rickey Henderson
                  4- Al Simmons
                  5- Eddie Collins
                  6- Home Run Baker
                  7- Reggie Jackson
                  8- Rube Waddell
                  9- Mark McGwire
                  10- Eddie Plank
                  Nos Amours! ... 1969-2004

Comment

Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post
                    Edited my list because McGwire was way too low at #10. His Oakland career was better than I remembered. 155 OPS+ with Oakland, four of his top 5 WAR seasons came with the A's. Averaged 44 HR and 115 RBI per 162 games. McGwire is still the all-time home run leader in franchise history, 61 ahead of 2nd place Foxx.
                    If he would have had his big '98 season with Oakland he'd have probably been 4-6 for me. The split between two deep franchises might leave him off both lists for me.

Only at a time of WAR.
                    Henderson is one of the greatest players of all-time. The video of him breaking Brock's career stolen base record and little speech he gave is probably the most famous moment in franchise history.
                    Last edited by bluesky5; 04-20-2019, 01:08 PM.
                    "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

Originally posted by Jar of Flies View Post

Armas was an average hitter, below average on the base paths, a small plus on the defensive side.
                      He was an above average hitter for 4 years of his career, not a durable guy/didn't get the full PT, so only 5500 PA career.
                      BB/K ratio and GDP rates were woeful, very poor clutch performer.
                      Not sure where current methods of estimation are overly downgrading his career?
                      Don't play cute. You know exactly what I'm talking about. In his 1980-84 peak, he was considered an All Star contender and generally respected as a run producer and a solid defender. Bring up his name around here now and you'll get the equivalent of an eye roll.

On a separate note, very interested in your Bender take, whether it be his time with the A's, or the minors, thanks
                      I was just going on the basis of his MLB career.

This franchise has had a weird history. The two dynastic periods under Mack, surrounded by a lot of economically induced mediocrity (and worse), then the wasted time in Kansas City, the well constructed dynasty of the 70's (wrecked, yet again, by an owner's miserly ways), the mirage of the LaRussa years and then Uncle Billy's Bargain Basement Jamboree.

"All of which makes perfect sense on paper, unless you have actually at any time in your life watched baseball being played." - The Commissioner

Comment

Don't play cute. You know exactly what I'm talking about. In his 1980-84 peak, he was considered an All Star contender and generally respected as a run producer and a solid defender. Bring up his name around here now and you'll get the equivalent of an eye roll.
                        Apologies if comments were seen as snarky, like you mention, impressive power peak in that time frame with being a good defender, had severe flaws and durability challenges that kept him from really taking off.

Thank you on the Bender info, just a bit of unique career to me, so always looking for others interpretations.

Comment

1. Rickey Henderson
                          2. Lefty Grove
                          3. Eddie Plank
                          4. Eddie Collins
                          5. Jimmie Foxx
                          6. Reggie Jackson
                          7. Bert Campaneris
                          8. Home Run Baker
                          9. Mickey Cochrane
                          10. Al Simmons

Comment

I was just going on the basis of his MLB career.

This franchise has had a weird history. The two dynastic periods under Mack, surrounded by a lot of economically induced mediocrity (and worse), then the wasted time in Kansas City, the well constructed dynasty of the 70's (wrecked, yet again, by an owner's miserly ways), the mirage of the LaRussa years and then Uncle Billy's Bargain Basement Jamboree.
                            Probably the most up and down franchise in professional sports history. Luring the best player in baseball in Lajoie away from the Phillies was a huge move for the American League. Then sold him to Cleveland for nothing to help stabilize that club and thus the league. Cleveland's owner Charles Somers (should be in the HoF) fronted Mack and multiple other clubs operating money but Cleveland stank on the field. Mack never gets credit for nabbing Lajoie. Most likely because the Phillies had such a dysfunctional franchise. The Athletics are sneaky great franchise nonetheless. Their top ten could certainly play with any organization.

Also, was there ever a time that the club was officially called the "A's" and not the Athletics? I've heard this posited before but I don't think it's true.
                            "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

1 Lefty Grove
                              2 Jimmy Foxx
                              3 Al Simmons
                              4 Rickey Henderson
                              5 Eddie Collins
                              6 Mickey Cochrane
                              7 Eddie Plank
                              8 Mark McGuire
                              9 Reggie Jackson
                              10 Jim Hunter

Comment

Originally posted by Jar of Flies View Post

Apologies if comments were seen as snarky, like you mention, impressive power peak in that time frame with being a good defender, had severe flaws and durability challenges that kept him from really taking off.
                                That's a fair assessment. I just don't like to see his legitimate (if unfortunately brief) peak dismissed and he's the sort of player who is almost always dismissed by the consensus around here.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X