All Whites team - post 1947

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post

I thought Biggio played like a Hall of Famer in the 1990's.
    Bill James did too. Didn't he rank Biggio obscenely high?
    My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
    2. Barry Bonds
    3. Ty Cobb
    4. Ted Williams
    5. Willie Mays
    6. Alex Rodriguez
    7. Hank Aaron
    8. Honus Wagner
    9. Lou Gehrig
    10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

Originally posted by redban View Post
      Biggio? Guy was being referred to as the worst 3,000 hit member when he reached it. He got about 5 points in his career OPS+ just from hit-by-pitches.

I take Ryan Sandberg or Jeff Kent over him.

Ditto on Sandberg. He and Biggio has very similar slash lines. Ryno .285/.344/452 Biggio .281/.363/.433. Biggio had 9 more career HR's in about 3500 PA's. Biggio won a few GG's, Ryno won 9 in a row. He also gets style points in my book for having the greatest game a player have that I saw in person- 6/23/84.
      It Might Be? It Could Be?? It Is!

Comment

Originally posted by JR Hart View Post

Brock is in for baserunning and WS heroics, more than anything.
        If he hadn't had 3K hits, and if he hadn't set the single season and career SB record, if he hadn't had the great WS performances-he wouldn't be in.

But then he did do all that. Wasn't an if.
        It Might Be? It Could Be?? It Is!

Comment

I thought Biggio played like a Hall of Famer in the 1990's.
          So did almost everyone. He isn't a top-half guy or anything, but he was a 7 or 8x all-star and was considered the second-best 2B of the decade behind Alomar. I mean he got about twice as many votes (%) in his first year of eligibility than Garvey EVER got, so he must have been thought highly by SOMEBODY, at least.

But Biggio >>>> Kent. His wRC+ is behind by 8 points, but he was a better fielder, player longer, wasn't nearly as tragic as Kent in high-leverage situations (-90 runs...woof), was a SIGNIFICANTLY better baserunner, and was certainly a bigger STAR (since that is so important to some people) as he played in more ASGs and faired MUCH better with the BBWAA.
          Last edited by Bothrops Atrox; 08-14-2019, 03:52 PM.
          1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
          The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

I'm not sure this means anything. In 2013 no one was elected but Biggio had the highest voting percentage at 68.2%. In 2014 Biggio went up against Greg Maddux, Frank Thomas, and Tom Glavine who all got in. But Biggio still had 74.8% (fell two measly votes shy). Biggio was elected in 2015 with 82.7%.
            I saw that as well, and while unlucky who he went against we have all been told that 3,000 hits means hall of famer, but in the first ballot 32% disagreed with that.
            "Batting stats and pitching stats do not indicate the quality of play, merely which part of that struggle is dominant at the moment."

-Bill James

Comment

Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post
              One of the points made in the article you posted though is the rise of travel leagues are directly related. So better baseball is replacing it.
              "Batting stats and pitching stats do not indicate the quality of play, merely which part of that struggle is dominant at the moment."

-Bill James

Comment

Originally posted by sturg1dj View Post

One of the points made in the article you posted though is the rise of travel leagues are directly related. So better baseball is replacing it.
                True, but I doubt that alone accounts for the 47% decline in Little League participation (in that region).
                My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
                2. Barry Bonds
                3. Ty Cobb
                4. Ted Williams
                5. Willie Mays
                6. Alex Rodriguez
                7. Hank Aaron
                8. Honus Wagner
                9. Lou Gehrig
                10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

Originally posted by 64Cards View Post

Ditto on Sandberg. He and Biggio has very similar slash lines. Ryno .285/.344/452 Biggio .281/.363/.433. Biggio had 9 more career HR's in about 3500 PA's. Biggio won a few GG's, Ryno won 9 in a row. He also gets style points in my book for having the greatest game a player have that I saw in person- 6/23/84.
                  Sandberg with his .412 road slugging and .326 road OBP. He loses seven OPS+ points down to 108 rrOPS+ playing in all parks equally. He's down there with Irod, Frisch, Trammel, Joe Carter and Mickey Tettleton. Biggio isn't much better, he really hurt himself sticking around for counting stat milestones.

Comment

C - Johnny Bench, Pudge Rodriguez
                    1B - Mark McGwire, Jim Thome
                    2B - Ryne Sandberg, Craig Biggio
                    SS - Cal Ripken Jr., Derek Jeter
                    3B - Mike Schmidt, George Brett
                    LF - Lance Berkman, Luis Gonzalez
                    CF - Mike Trout, Dale Murphy
                    RF - Sammy Sosa - sorry couldn't help it, Jose Canseco, Brian Giles
                    SP - Roger Clemens, Greg Maddux, Randy Johnson, Roy Halladay, Clayton Kershaw
                    RP - Dennis Eckersley, Goose Gossage, Billy Wagner, Rollie Fingers
                    Last edited by bluesky5; 08-15-2019, 12:15 PM.
                    "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

Originally posted by bluesky5 View Post
                      LF - Carl Yastrzemski, Pete Rose
                      RF - Sammy Sosa - sorry couldn't help it, Larry Walker, Jose Canseco
                      SP - Roger Clemens, Greg Maddux, Randy Johnson, Tom Seaver, Steve Carlton
                      Only guy who could be on both the white and non-white teams!
                      R.I.P. Farmio
                      Play the Who am I? game in trivia and you can make this signature line yours for 3 days (baseball signatures only!)

Go here for a link to all player links! http://www.baseball-fever.com/forum/...player-threads

Go here for all your 1920's/1930's OF info

Comment

LF - Carl Yastrzemski, Pete Rose
                        RF - Sammy Sosa - sorry couldn't help it, Larry Walker, Jose Canseco
                        SP - Roger Clemens, Greg Maddux, Randy Johnson, Tom Seaver, Steve Carlton
                        Really? If you want to start your own thread for players born before 1947 or non-white or born outside of the U.S. go right ahead..
                        Last edited by GiambiJuice; 08-15-2019, 12:07 PM.
                        My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
                        2. Barry Bonds
                        3. Ty Cobb
                        4. Ted Williams
                        5. Willie Mays
                        6. Alex Rodriguez
                        7. Hank Aaron
                        8. Honus Wagner
                        9. Lou Gehrig
                        10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

I only included guys post 1970. It gets interesting at the outfield positions after the top 2...

LF - Lance Berkman, Luis Gonzalez, Ryan Braun, Matt Holliday, Brian Downing
                          CF - Jim Edmonds, Fred Lynn, Steve Finley, Lenny Dykstra, Brett Butler
                          RF - Brian Giles, Kirk Gibson, Jack Clark, Paul O'Neill, Dewey Evans

Really? If you want to start your own thread for players born before 1947 or non-white or born outside of the U.S. go right ahead..
                          Oh, my bad.
                          "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

nevermind, reread and saw our boy Larry Walker.

-Bill James

Comment

I only included guys post 1970. It gets interesting at the outfield positions after the top 2...

LF - Lance Berkman, Luis Gonzalez, Ryan Braun, Matt Holliday, Brian Downing
                              CF - Jim Edmonds, Fred Lynn, Steve Finley, Lenny Dykstra, Brett Butler
                              RF - Brian Giles, Kirk Gibson, Jack Clark, Paul O'Neill, Dewey Evans

Oh, my bad.
                              Good choices, except Berkman is not eligible in LF and Gibson is not eligible in RF.

Paul O'Neill was awesome. I wish he would be talked about more. Perennial .300 hitter with a cannon in right field and a key member of four World Series winning teams.
                              My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
                              2. Barry Bonds
                              3. Ty Cobb
                              4. Ted Williams
                              5. Willie Mays
                              6. Alex Rodriguez
                              7. Hank Aaron
                              8. Honus Wagner
                              9. Lou Gehrig
                              10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

What about Jeter? Could he have played before 1947?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X