All Whites team - post 1947

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bothrops Atrox View Post

I hated the Astros and was no fan of Biggio. They were the Birds biggest rival BY FAR at the time. Nice job with your fundamental attribution errors, though. Why don't you run a poll about what we remember re: Delgado, Biggio, and Kent and who was more widely respected while active.

BTW - I am talking about the media and Delgado - not what the people in our tiny, irrelevant corner think about him.
    Exactly. Outside of a few tight circles nobody was talking about advanced stats when these guys were playing. Particularly in the legacy media where most people got their baseball information.

Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post

I don't buy it either. Alomar was considered the better player of the two by the vast majority of people.

That was my recollection too. But not at the expense of saying Biggio was NOT a HOFer. Alomar was the bigger star when active, though.

Er..I mean...Go Biggio cuz I luv u!
    I also recall Alomar being considered better than Biggio while they were active. In no small part because of his defensive prowess and double play combination with Omar Vizquel that both got him plenty of highlights. Plus Alomar was in the playoffs and especially world series more often. I think his all-star appearances, awards, performance and perception bare this out pretty obviously.

Originally posted by BigRon View Post

No, you're not the only one who remembers Biggio being referred to as a HOF candidate years before he retired. There's a lot of misinformation in this thread- Biggio actually probably had even more positive HOF talk before his last few seasons, when he was declining and not nearly the player he had been. And yes, he and Alomar were frequently compared, and Biggio came out ahead as often as not. In my opinion Biggio still would have (deservingly) been elected to the HOF if he had retired 2 years earlier and not reached 3000 hits
    There sure is.
    Last edited by bluesky5; 08-16-2019, 01:00 PM.
    "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

I was a big fan of both Alomar and Biggio. I would agree that Alomar probably was rated slightly higher during most of their careers, but I don't think there was a big difference. Alomar was seen as a better fielder (I agree), but Biggio provided more pop at the plate, though Alomar also was a good hitter. Biggio got extra kudos for being a decent/good defender at 3 very different positions.

Alomar Biggio
      All Star 12 7
      7+ WAR 2 1
      5-6.9 WAR 4 4
      4-4.9 WAR 3 4
      OPS+ 116 112
      Extra Base Hits 794 1014
      SB 474 414
      Gold Glove 10 4
      Silver Sluggers 4 5
      Top 10 MVP 5 3
      HOF Year 2 Year 3

Comment

Everyone...

Am I losing my mind? Am I the only one that remembers Craig Biggio being referred to as a FHOF even before it was absolutely evident he would reach 3,000 hits? Have I finally lost it?

Am I the only one that did NOT remember a lot of Kent HOF hype until it was apparent that he would grab the 2B HR crown?
        The Killer Bs with Bagwell and Biggio was a big thing. Biggio also was leading the league in one category or another such as R, 2B or H, maybe even SB for a few years running IIRC.

Comment

Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post

I've never thought of Edgar as white but I suppose a case can be made. It is news to me that he was born in NY, I thought Puerto Rico. I mean, technically Alex Rodriguez was born in NY too and he has pretty light skin...but I don't think people consider him "white".
          Numerous players with Spanish last names such as Keith Hernandez and Lou Piniella should be considered "white." They both have direct ancestry from Spain.

Players with Cuban ancestry like Luis Gonzalez and Tino Martinez would be as well.

Alex Rodriguez to me looks tri-racial: white, black, indigenous.

Comment

Originally posted by massa1177 View Post

Numerous players with Spanish last names such as Keith Hernandez and Lou Piniella should be considered "white." They both have direct ancestry from Spain.

Players with Cuban ancestry like Luis Gonzalez and Tino Martinez would be as well.

Alex Rodriguez to me looks tri-racial: white, black, indigenous.
            He's pentaracial: white, black, indigenous, andro and j-lo.
            "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X