Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Legends are left after Curt

Jack Buck, Mel Allen, and Curt Gowdy.
    Man, who is left with that kind of cred other than that jewel of a voice Vin Scully.
    You know what I mean, just hearing the voice takes you back.
    Johnny
    Delusion, Life's Coping Mechanism

Hey, I like Hank Greenwald. Isn't he working for the A's?
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Ernie Harwell in Detroit is still with us, I think totally retired now though.

Joe Garagiola is a great baseball man/voice.
      And what about Uecker? Isn't he still in the front row?? For Milwaukee??

Good Bye Curt! God Bless!!
      1968 and 1984, the greatest ever.

Comment

I love listening to Vin Scully.

Lately though I've also become fond of Gary Thorne (Great Hockey Voice) and Jon Miller.
        "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Comment

your lucky if a voice can still take you back

Originally posted by TonyStarks
          I love listening to Vin Scully.

Lately though I've also become fond of Gary Thorne (Great Hockey Voice) and Jon Miller.
          I do enjoy Jon Miller's work. He also does a great Vin Scully
          Dave Neihaus out here in Seattle has that feel for the M's. 'my-oooo-my!'

When I was in the military, I use to hear a lot of Jack Buck for Armed Forces Radio -both baseball and football. He was great. I still think that he got screwed by CBS on that so called 'missed call' that they floated as the reason for letting him go.
          Remember that one in the World Serious. 'He's out....no he is safe!'
          Johnny

Comment

I suppose the greatest voice in baseball history, Bob Sheppard, isn't considered in this debate?
            "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

Comment

To me, Harry Kalas just sounds like baseball.
              Let's rid baseball of the pestilence of the DH now and forever!

Comment

Originally posted by ElHalo
                I suppose the greatest voice in baseball history, Bob Sheppard, isn't considered in this debate?
                he is now.
                Johnny

Comment

Originally posted by ElHalo
                  Bob Sheppard is amazing. He's 95 and still does every Yankees home game, and did every Giants home game until last month (when he retired from the Giants after their embarrassing loss to the Panthers). Going to Yankee Stadium just wouldn't be right without his voice doing the announcements.

Comment

Dick Enberb is one fina announcer in any sport and did spend many years as the play by play announcer for the California Angels before moving to the networks. He also did the LA Rams, UCLA football and basketball, and minor league LA Blades hockey before the Kings were around. BTW, he also was a professor and assistant baseball coach at San Fernando State College, now Cal State Northridge.

From Wimbledon to the NFL and the World Series, Enberg is a great announcer.
                    http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/ex...eline_1961.jpg

Comment

Other than Vin Scully, I would say the last of the legendary announcers who have seemingly "done it all" like Gowdy would be Keith Jackson and Al Michaels. While we may think of them mostly as being football guys now (college and NFL, respectively), let's not forget that they were the voice for baseball back when ABC had a contract with MLB for Monday Night Baseball, as well as the all star game/postseason. Jackson is semi-retired now, primarily doing Pac-10 football telecasts for ABC. But now that Michaels is with NBC, more than ever, I hope that NBC gets the World Series back once the contract with FOX expires.

Comment

Originally posted by Redondos
                        Other than Vin Scully, I would say the last of the legendary announcers who have seemingly "done it all" like Gowdy would be Keith Jackson and Al Michaels. While we may think of them mostly as being football guys now (college and NFL, respectively), let's not forget that they were the voice for baseball back when ABC had a contract with MLB for Monday Night Baseball, as well as the all star game/postseason. Jackson is semi-retired now, primarily doing Pac-10 football telecasts for ABC. But now that Michaels is with NBC, more than ever, I hope that NBC gets the World Series back once the contract with FOX expires.
                        If NBC gets the contract, it'll probably be Bob Costas and Joe Morgan in the booth again.

Comment

Seven years later--which announcers, both active and retired, would be considered legendary today, if any?

Comment

Joe Buck is gonna be considered an all-time great announcer. I am ambivalent, really, sometimes I hate his little tangents and overzealous analogies, but like his voice.

Even if you dislike him, I think we all know that he will be considered a great announcer, deserved or not.
                            Last edited by bluesky5; 03-03-2013, 01:00 PM.
                            "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

Originally posted by bluesky5 View Post
                              Jack Buck is gonna be considered an all-time great announcer. I am ambivalent, really, sometimes I hate his little tangents and overzealous analogies, but like his voice.

Even if you dislike him, I think we all know that he will be considered a great announcer, deserved or not.
                              Jack Buck already is considered an all-time great announcer. I assume you mean Joe. I guess he's OK for football, but I don't care for him on baseball.
                              They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X