Which Legends are left after Curt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
    Jack Buck already is considered an all-time great announcer. I assume you mean Joe. I guess he's OK for football, but I don't care for him on baseball.
    Yessir, Joe.
    "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

I feel like announcers today are looking to coin moments, to the point of trying to create them, ala Brent Musberger, who is the worst announcer ever, in my opinion. The great moments will come. Sit back and wait.

Like when Notre Dame had that goal line stand against Pittsburgh. They were up nine and Pitt stank anyhow. But Musberger makes it out to be this epic stand. Defining Notre Dame's season, pfffffft, ridiculous. Then it was even presented as such by the culture creators at ESPN.
      "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

John Sterling and Suzyn Waldman.
        My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
        2. Barry Bonds
        3. Ty Cobb
        4. Ted Williams
        5. Willie Mays
        6. Alex Rodriguez
        7. Hank Aaron
        8. Honus Wagner
        9. Lou Gehrig