• Show
Clear All

• GiambiJuice
    replied
    John Sterling and Suzyn Waldman.

Leave a comment:

• bluesky5
    replied
    I feel like announcers today are looking to coin moments, to the point of trying to create them, ala Brent Musberger, who is the worst announcer ever, in my opinion. The great moments will come. Sit back and wait.

Like when Notre Dame had that goal line stand against Pittsburgh. They were up nine and Pitt stank anyhow. But Musberger makes it out to be this epic stand. Defining Notre Dame's season, pfffffft, ridiculous. Then it was even presented as such by the culture creators at ESPN.

Leave a comment:

• bluesky5
    replied
    Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
    Jack Buck already is considered an all-time great announcer. I assume you mean Joe. I guess he's OK for football, but I don't care for him on baseball.
    Yessir, Joe.

Leave a comment:

• ol' aches and pains
    replied
    Originally posted by bluesky5 View Post
    Jack Buck is gonna be considered an all-time great announcer. I am ambivalent, really, sometimes I hate his little tangents and overzealous analogies, but like his voice.

Even if you dislike him, I think we all know that he will be considered a great announcer, deserved or not.
    Jack Buck already is considered an all-time great announcer. I assume you mean Joe. I guess he's OK for football, but I don't care for him on baseball.

Leave a comment:

• bluesky5
    replied
    Joe Buck is gonna be considered an all-time great announcer. I am ambivalent, really, sometimes I hate his little tangents and overzealous analogies, but like his voice.

Even if you dislike him, I think we all know that he will be considered a great announcer, deserved or not.
    Last edited by bluesky5; 03-03-2013, 01:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Cowtipper
    replied
    Seven years later--which announcers, both active and retired, would be considered legendary today, if any?

Leave a comment:

• DoubleX
    replied
    Originally posted by Redondos
    Other than Vin Scully, I would say the last of the legendary announcers who have seemingly "done it all" like Gowdy would be Keith Jackson and Al Michaels. While we may think of them mostly as being football guys now (college and NFL, respectively), let's not forget that they were the voice for baseball back when ABC had a contract with MLB for Monday Night Baseball, as well as the all star game/postseason. Jackson is semi-retired now, primarily doing Pac-10 football telecasts for ABC. But now that Michaels is with NBC, more than ever, I hope that NBC gets the World Series back once the contract with FOX expires.
    If NBC gets the contract, it'll probably be Bob Costas and Joe Morgan in the booth again.

Leave a comment:

• Redondos
    replied
    Other than Vin Scully, I would say the last of the legendary announcers who have seemingly "done it all" like Gowdy would be Keith Jackson and Al Michaels. While we may think of them mostly as being football guys now (college and NFL, respectively), let's not forget that they were the voice for baseball back when ABC had a contract with MLB for Monday Night Baseball, as well as the all star game/postseason. Jackson is semi-retired now, primarily doing Pac-10 football telecasts for ABC. But now that Michaels is with NBC, more than ever, I hope that NBC gets the World Series back once the contract with FOX expires.

Leave a comment:

• Bluesteve32
    replied
    Dick Enberb is one fina announcer in any sport and did spend many years as the play by play announcer for the California Angels before moving to the networks. He also did the LA Rams, UCLA football and basketball, and minor league LA Blades hockey before the Kings were around. BTW, he also was a professor and assistant baseball coach at San Fernando State College, now Cal State Northridge.

From Wimbledon to the NFL and the World Series, Enberg is a great announcer.

Leave a comment:

• DoubleX
    replied
    Originally posted by ElHalo
    I suppose the greatest voice in baseball history, Bob Sheppard, isn't considered in this debate?
    Bob Sheppard is amazing. He's 95 and still does every Yankees home game, and did every Giants home game until last month (when he retired from the Giants after their embarrassing loss to the Panthers). Going to Yankee Stadium just wouldn't be right without his voice doing the announcements.

Leave a comment:

• johnny
    replied
    Originally posted by ElHalo
    I suppose the greatest voice in baseball history, Bob Sheppard, isn't considered in this debate?
    he is now.

Leave a comment:

• Kroxquo
    replied
    To me, Harry Kalas just sounds like baseball.

Leave a comment:

• ElHalo
    replied

Leave a comment:

• johnny
    replied
    your lucky if a voice can still take you back

Originally posted by TonyStarks
    I love listening to Vin Scully.

Lately though I've also become fond of Gary Thorne (Great Hockey Voice) and Jon Miller.
    I do enjoy Jon Miller's work. He also does a great Vin Scully
    Dave Neihaus out here in Seattle has that feel for the M's. 'my-oooo-my!'

When I was in the military, I use to hear a lot of Jack Buck for Armed Forces Radio -both baseball and football. He was great. I still think that he got screwed by CBS on that so called 'missed call' that they floated as the reason for letting him go.
    Remember that one in the World Serious. 'He's out....no he is safe!'

Leave a comment:

• TonyStarks
    replied
    I love listening to Vin Scully.

Lately though I've also become fond of Gary Thorne (Great Hockey Voice) and Jon Miller.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X