Film footage of Game 7 of 1924 World Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Film footage of Game 7 of 1924 World Series

This film footage is amazing. It's so clear and detailed. And it shows Walter Johnson pitching and the Washington Senators celebrating when the winning runs scores.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/video...57gYh1r4Qq5fyI

The Library of Congress recently found nearly perfectly preserved nitrate film of a "Kinograms" newsreel showing the Washington Senators winning the World Series over the New York Giants and fans storming the field at Griffith Stadium to celebrate.
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Wow, great footage!

It's nice to finally see the Washington Post publishing something other than "Orange Man Bad".
    My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
    2. Barry Bonds
    3. Ty Cobb
    4. Ted Williams
    5. Willie Mays
    6. Alex Rodriguez
    7. Hank Aaron
    8. Honus Wagner
    9. Lou Gehrig
    10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
      This film footage is amazing. It's so clear and detailed. And it shows Walter Johnson pitching and the Washington Senators celebrating when the winning runs scores.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/video...57gYh1r4Qq5fyI

The Library of Congress recently found nearly perfectly preserved nitrate film of a "Kinograms" newsreel showing the Washington Senators winning the World Series over the New York Giants and fans storming the field at Griffith Stadium to celebrate.
      Awesome! Thanks Honus!

These videos are tough for me to distinguish what is real speed...some parts always look faster than you'd expect and some parts look slower than you'd expect.
      Washington Nationals: 2019 World Series Champs!

Play the Who am I? game in trivia and you can make this signature line yours for 3 days (baseball signatures only!)

Go here for a link to all player links! http://www.baseball-fever.com/forum/...player-threads

Go here for all your 1920's/1930's OF info

Comment

At 2:16 the batter goes from first to third in nine seconds, and that's after slowing down at the end. Those guys could fly! No wonder why they hit so many more triples back then.
        Last edited by willshad; 10-23-2019, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Thanks Honus, this is terrific
          Jacquelyn Eva Marchand (1983-2017)
          http://www.tezakfuneralhome.com/noti...uelyn-Marchand

Comment

This has been around for 5 years too! (The upload date of 10/2/2014 is under the headline.) Amazing that no one from BBF found it until now!

Comment

Very, very cool!

Especially sweet to see the Big Train pitch. How on earth did he generate so much velocity on his pitches with such a short, casual windup?

Comment

Originally posted by Cougar View Post
                Very, very cool!

Especially sweet to see the Big Train pitch. How on earth did he generate so much velocity on his pitches with such a short, casual windup?
                No one even winds up today.
                "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

Originally posted by bluesky5 View Post

A few still do. :-)

Cueto 1.gif
                  Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Originally posted by willshad View Post
                    At 2:16 the batter goes from first to third in nine seconds, and that's after slowing down at the end. Those guys could fly! No wonder why they hit so many more triples back then.
                    That was the ''Fordham Flash,"Frankie Frisch hitting a triple.

Comment

Originally posted by bluesky5 View Post

I think that's a big reason there are arm injuries.

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
                      A few still do. :-)

Cueto 1.gif
                      Brings a tear of joy to my eye.

Originally posted by Nimrod View Post

That was the ''Fordham Flash,"Frankie Frisch hitting a triple.
                      A great mostly forgotten player whose name has been blackened over time because of his more liberal HOF entrance requirements.
                      Washington Nationals: 2019 World Series Champs!

Play the Who am I? game in trivia and you can make this signature line yours for 3 days (baseball signatures only!)

Go here for a link to all player links! http://www.baseball-fever.com/forum/...player-threads

Go here for all your 1920's/1930's OF info

Comment

Great find HWR. Very good quality in some parts, almost 100 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Toledo Inquisition View Post
                          I think that's a big reason there are arm injuries.
                          Very well could be. Guys don't throw the pitches in as quick a succession either.

"No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

Walter Johnson. Never thought I'd see him pitch but here we are.
                            “There can be no higher law in journalism than to tell the truth and to shame the devil.” Walter Lippmann

"I don't care if the guy is yellow or black, or if he has stripes like a ******* zebra. I'm the manager of this team and I say he [Robinson] plays." - Leo Durocher

Comment

Wonderful footage! I can't believe how clear it is. If I didn't know better, I would have thought it was from the late 1930s not 1924. In the last few days, I recall seeing a few clips of it on the MLB Network, FS1 or Fox. I don't recall exactly where I saw it, but it was aired while discussing the last WS championship in DC.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X