Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top 10 Fielding Pitchers Since the Gold Glove was been awarded (1957 to Present)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cougar View Post
    It seems a disproportionate number of these slick fielders on the mound are left-handed.

Is that an advantage? I know it is to a degree at first base and right field (and something between a modest disadvantage & an impossibility almost everywhere else, other than CF, which is neutral), but I am not sure how handedness works out for pitchers when fielding.
    PS: I'm sure whatever fielding advantage there may be pales relative to the platoon effect at the plate.

Comment

Reading this thread has been like a trip down memory lane. The entire thread is overdue because so much of today's teams groom pitchers who do not need this ability as much as in the past. Since all trends come and go, I believe the trend of power pitchers will subside for some reason or another. A new focus on defense from pitchers will be necessary someday.

Teams are less inclined today to consider a pitcher to be a part of infield defense all because of 1) the emphasis on power over contact; 2) pitch counts limiting the number of innings anyway; 3) with so many hitters using an uppercut swing in the name of "launch angle", effective ground-ball pitchers are not first in mind. It would seem that this point shows the short-sided nature of what teams look for, because any pitcher with good stuff will always get a noticeable number of ground balls.

It would seem that the ability to field hard hit ground balls and line drives is only one part of GG pitcher defense. They must quickly get off of the mound to take a throw at first when necessary and keep feet on first. In addition, pitchers must back up 3rd without dragging their feet.
      Catfish Hunter, RIP. Mark Fidrych, RIP. Skip Caray, RIP. Tony Gwynn, #19, RIP

A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. -- Winston Churchill. (Please take note that I've recently become aware of how this quote applies to a certain US president. This is a coincidence, and the quote was first added to this signature too far back to remember when).

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test first and the lesson later. -- Dan Quisenberry.

Comment

Lemon was a pretty slick fielder at 3b, as I recall. Makes sense he'd retain that skill at pitcher.
        The 1st year the Gold Glove was awarded was the first year of Bob Lemon's retirement.

Comment

Yeah, and he nevertheless still won eight!

He would have been up there with Maddux & Kaat had the award existed his entire career.
          Shantz won a pitcher's Gold Glove every year 1957-1964 (8) from the 1st year the GG was awarded until his retirement after the 1964 season.. He was a reliever in most of those years with anywhere from 60 to 95 innings pitched per year. That surprises me. Apparently the Gold Glove Award is not contingent on a minimum number of Innings Pitched.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X