Baseball-Reference front page "team" building

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baseball-Reference front page "team" building

Sometimes I look at the Baseball-Reference front page, see who the 12 players pictured are, and see if I can make a team out of them.

I think the current one is the most complete yet.

P - Guy Hecker
    C - Deacon White
    1b - Orlando Cepeda
    2b - Placido Polanco
    3b - Jeff Cirillo
    SS - Luke Appling
    LF - Bobby Abreu
    CF - Shane Victorino
    RF - Jay Buhner

Bench: Wes Westrum, Bob Skinner, Don Robinson.

Abreu & Buhner were both primary right fielders; I recall Abreu playing left more towards the end of his career, so he slides over.

If one wants a DH, Skinner can man left field and let Abreu DH.

Westrum is a strong second catcher. Don Robinson is the relief pitcher, I suppose, plus a pretty decent pinch hitter.

Just a fun little game to play with oneself; thought I'd share. Heckuva starting nine.

Westrum & Skinner both had short managerial careers on bad teams. Hecker was player/manager of a horrific team in 1890. Appling & White both had brief interim stints.

Neat idea.

That's four HOF-caliber players and a bunch of All-Stars surrounding them. Nicely done.
    "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
    "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
    "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
    "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

Way cooler than anything I thought of all day. Probably going to do this for the rest of my life.
      "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

Another good one, not quite as good as the first, it's way too heavy on the left side of the infield, and the pitcher is weaker, but colorful.

C1: Mickey Cochrane
        C2: Russell Martin
        1b: Hal Trosky
        2b: Joe Sewell
        3b: Evan Longoria
        SS: Bert Campaneris
        LF: George J. Burns
        CF: Trea Turner
        RF: Bobby Higginson
        P: Hugh "One-Arm" Daily
        Backup IF: Jed Lowrie
        Backup OF: Al Martin

Sewell at 2b is a cheat; Longoria is a better 3b defender, & Campaneris is a better SS defender.

Sewell was a little guy who was built more like a second baseman anyway, and if one can play short and third, second isn't a huge stretch, although the pivot is tricky. (All three have about the same WAR, interestingly...53-54.)

If you have a DH, you can start Lowrie at 2b and DH Sewell. Or, since Trosky was kind of a butcher at 1b, maybe let Sewell play there and DH Trosky.

​​​​​​​Trea Turner is yet another shortstop, but he's played some in CF too, so I can slot him there.

Campaneris can play all over the diamond, of course, and amusingly Russell Martin has dabbled at almost every position too. Turner can play almost every skill position except catcher. Lowrie can play anywhere in the IF. Both starting corner OF can play center in a pinch, and Al Martin can man all three spots as well. It's a versatile bunch.

Comment

Another good one, a more modest but still pretty good lineup, and a marvelous little pitching staff.

C: Eddie Ainsworth
          1b: Mike Grady
          2b: Cristian Guzman
          3b: Adrian Beltre
          SS: Tony Kubek
          LF: Tillie Walker
          CF: Shane Victorino
          RF: Pat Mullin

P: Cy Young
          P: Bobo Newsom
          P: Johnny Vander Meer
          P: Danys Baez (relief)

Comment

Front page is stacked today. I'm not going to look up any of the players...

1. RF - Michael Bourn was in a strong arm competition with Ellsburry for RF. I could be wrong.
            2. LF - Jacoby Ellsbury
            3. CF - Ty Cobb
            4. 1B - Jose Abreu
            5. 2B - Matt Joyce might have played a little second.
            6. C - Chooch Ruiz
            7. SS - Jack Rowe was a shotstop for the 1880's Buffalo Bisons, I think.
            8. 3B - Debs Garms is a mystery to me.
            9. SP - Clayton Kershaw

UT - Riggs Stephenson is the ultimate platoon guy.
            P - Kevin Millwood
            P - George Earnshaw
            "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

Interesting bunch here. Had to cheat a bit on positions for Foxx & Peckinpaugh.

C - Jimmie Foxx
              1b - Richie Sexson
              2b - Roger Peckinpaugh
              3b - Matt Chapman
              SS - Mark Belanger
              LF - Ralph Garr
              CF - David DeJesus
              RF - Joe Cunningham
              DH - Leon Durham

P: Aaron Sele, Cannonball Ed Crane, Steve Howe

Comment

I usually stop and try to see how many I recognize. I average about 6-7. Lots of the 19th century guys images look like they're staff officers under Braxton Bragg.
                3 6 10 21 29 31 35 41 42 44 47

"To this day, and forever, no one will ever be able to make sense of the game’s record book, now smeared with phony honors. It’s unfixable." - Thomas Boswell

Comment

Infield defense very shaky, but a formidable squad nonetheless. Terrific bats & team speed, three CF in the pasture, and a GG behind the plate. Three pretty good pitchers.

C: Del Crandall
                  1b: Howie Kendrick
                  2b: Lee Lacy
                  3b: Dave Hollins
                  SS: Rogers Hornsby
                  LF: Pete Reiser
                  CF: Austin Jackson
                  RF: Wally Berger
                  DH: Moises Alou
                  P: Jason Schmidt, Jim O'Toole, Turk Farrell

Comment

I find it's more fun if I don't look them up. I've been getting a ton of pitchers the last couple days...

1. Ray Furcal - 6
                    2. Solly Hemus - 4
                    3. Albert Pujols - 5
                    4. Jack Clark - 3
                    5. Deacon McGuire - 2
                    6. George Watkins - 8
                    7. Bob Emslie - 7 (pitcher)
                    8. Billy Koch - 9 (pitcher)
                    9. Luis Severino - 1

RP - Gene Garber, Brad Peacock, Jimmy Dygert

Comment

Originally posted by bluesky5 View Post
                      I find it's more fun if I don't look them up. I've been getting a ton of pitchers the last couple days...

1. Ray Furcal - 6
                      2. Solly Hemus - 4
                      3. Albert Pujols - 5
                      4. Jack Clark - 3
                      5. Deacon McGuire - 2
                      6. George Watkins - 8
                      7. Bob Emslie - 7 (pitcher)
                      8. Billy Koch - 9 (pitcher)
                      9. Luis Severino - 1

RP - Gene Garber, Brad Peacock, Jimmy Dygert
                      You can sub pitchers in & out based on matchups, and hide them in the corner outfield when they're not on the mound. Fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Cougar View Post

You can sub pitchers in & out based on matchups, and hide them in the corner outfield when they're not on the mound. Fun!
                        I was hoping Watkins was an outfielder and he was. I had Matt Joyce playing second base last time and he never played there. I also got lucky with Debs Garms.

Comment

C - Rich Gedman
                          1b - Cliff Johnson
                          2b - Tony Womack
                          3b - Mark Trumbo
                          SS - Jorge Polanco
                          LF - Jack Graney
                          CF - Pete Reiser
                          RF - Smead Jolley

P - Zack Greinke
                          P - Johnny Antonelli
                          P - James Shields
                          P - Edward Mujica

Trumbo played a little third base early in his career; it was either that or put Reiser at third, Trumbo in RF, Jolley in LF, & Graney in CF. I figured I'd rather have a butcher at 3b than play three other guys out of position & still have a butcher in RF.

Corner IF defense will be hideous, but it's otherwise a pretty solid squad. Great 1-2-3 rotation of starting pitchers.

Comment

C - Miguel Montero
                            1b - Howie Kendrick
                            2b - Robinson Cano
                            3b - David Wright
                            SS - Ozzie Smith
                            LF - Carlos Lee
                            CF - Harry "The Hat" Walker
                            RF - Melky Cabrera

Bench - Bill Wambsganss, Jerry Remy. (Or maybe put Jerry in the booth.)

P - Don McMahon, Steve Reed

Great lineup!

​​​​​​​Pitchers...They'd win a lot of three inning games.

Comment

Another good one!

C - Joe Torre
                              1b - Keith Hernandez
                              2b - Mark Loretta
                              3b - Joe Randa
                              SS - Daryl Spencer
                              LF - George Stone
                              CF - Steve Finley
                              RF - Johnny Damon
                              DH - Bill Melton

UT - Bernie Friberg

RHP - Kyle Hendricks
                              LHP - Jon Lester

If Damon's noodle arm in RF is a worry, Melton played there a little...good arm, no range. Pick your poison.

Absent a DH, Randa is probably the odd man out, although he played a little second too, or he could be a late innings defensive replacement for Melton. Both Loretta & Spencer can play all the IF positions.

Very solid lineup and two good starters!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X