Joe Posnanski's "Baseball 100"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

#44 is Cal Ripken.

Following this, my guess is that the following 43 are his remaining selections (in no particular order:

P (12) - Alexander, Clemens, Grove, R.Johnson, W.Johnson, Maddux, Martinez, Mathewson, Paige, Plank, Seaver and Young.
    C (3) - Bench, Berra, Gibson
    1B (4) - Anson, Foxx, Gehrig, Pujols
    2B (5) - Collins, Hornsby, Lajoie, Morgan, Robinson
    3B (2) - Brett, Schmidt
    SS (3) - Lloyd, Rodriguez, Wagner
    LF (4) - Henderson, Musial, Williams, Yastrzemski
    CF (5) - Charleston, Cobb, Mantle, Mays, Speaker
    RF (5) - Aaron, Clemente, Ott, Robinson, Ruth

Others who could potentially sneak in somewhere include Dan Brouthers, Roger Connor, Sam Crawford, George Davis, Ed Delahanty, Martin Dihigo, Buck Ewing, Frankie Frisch, Harry Heilmann, Ivan Rodriguez, Ed Walsh and Willie Wells.

I think Poz is giving short shrift to 19th Century candidates, though we'll see. This is more of a "fun" than a "serious" top 100 list. In that sense, it's disappointing to me. He could have done the latter and still have written 100 wonderful stories.
    "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
    "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
    "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
    "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

Doubt he's going to select Cap Anson. Pudge is also beyond deserving.
      "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

I don't disagree, bluesky5, but I can't see a clear alternative from my "also ran" list in that post. Dihigo, maybe?
        "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
        "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards

Comment

There's certainly a lot of stories about Anson, Delahanty, Frisch...but they get kind of dark. Poz usually prefers to keep things pretty upbeat, although I've read much less of his stuff since he went behind a paywall.

Comment

Originally posted by Chadwick View Post
            I don't disagree, bluesky5, but I can't see a clear alternative from my "also ran" list in that post. Dihigo, maybe?
            Waner? Also if Clemens and Arod then Bonds? Evidence of of a ped stance other than no one is in yet.
            Last edited by brett; 02-13-2020, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Jackie Robinson will be #42. There is no way he is putting in Plank.It would not surprise me to see John Smoltz.

Comment

Originally posted by brett View Post

Warner? Also if Clemens and Arod then Bonds? Does he have a ped stance or hart than no one is in yet.
                Posnanski doesn't care about PEDs.
                My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
                2. Barry Bonds
                3. Ty Cobb
                4. Ted Williams
                5. Willie Mays
                6. Alex Rodriguez
                7. Hank Aaron
                8. Honus Wagner
                9. Lou Gehrig
                10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

#43 was Yogi Berra.

I've adjusted my "predictions". (I don't know how Bonds slipped my mind.)

P (11) - Alexander, Clemens, Grove, R.Johnson, W.Johnson, Maddux, Martinez, Mathewson, Paige, Seaver and Young.
                  C (2) - Bench, Gibson
                  3B (2) - Brett, Schmidt
                  LF (5) - Bonds, Henderson, Musial, Williams, Yastrzemski

I really don't see an argument for anyone else likely to make his top 42.

Comment

Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post

Posnanski doesn't care about PEDs.
                    Its interesting though that there's no Ramirez, Sheffield, Ortiz, Sosa, McGwire, Palmeiro. It might make sense anyway but to see all those guys shut out is a little surprising.

Also, no Vlad, No Thome. There's at least 7 guys in the 500 HR club left out.

Comment

Originally posted by brett View Post

Its interesting though that there's no Ramirez, Sheffield, Ortiz, Sosa, McGwire, Palmeiro. It might make sense anyway but to see all those guys shut out is a little surprising.

Also, no Vlad, No Thome. There's at least 7 guys in the 500 HR club left out.
                      Those guys may have been close - we don't know - but putting some of them into the top 100 all-time list (one that includes negro leaguers and Japanese stars, by the way) would necessitate that someone who is on the list gets bumped off. Look at my breakdown of the list by position (post #2 in this thread). Who would you drop in favor of Raffy or McGwire as one example?

Manny, Sheffield, Vlad, etc. are a closely grouped together bunch of players in terms of value, but who do they replace if they go in and how do you parse between them if only some can make the list? Choices have to be made.

Frankly, his next 25 (101-125) have been promised when this is all over, at least a list of them. That will be interesting to me considering how many great players have missed the list.

And David Ortiz doesn't belong in any 100 greatest ballplayers list.

Comment

Originally posted by Cougar View Post
                        There's certainly a lot of stories about Anson, Delahanty, Frisch...but they get kind of dark. Poz usually prefers to keep things pretty upbeat, although I've read much less of his stuff since he went behind a paywall.
                        I'm really itching to run away with that "Anson... get kind of dark" but anyhow what happened with Frisch? Delahanty was kind like Manny Ramirez but drunk a lot.

Those guys may have been close - we don't know - but putting some of them into the top 100 all-time list (one that includes negro leaguers and Japanese stars, by the way) would necessitate that someone who is on the list gets bumped off. Look at my breakdown of the list by position (post #2 in this thread). Who would you drop in favor of Raffy or McGwire as one example?

Manny, Sheffield, Vlad, etc. are a closely grouped together bunch of players in terms of value, but who do they replace if they go in and how do you parse between them if only some can make the list? Choices have to be made.

Frankly, his next 25 (101-125) have been promised when this is all over, at least a list of them. That will be interesting to me considering how many great players have missed the list.

Why not?
                        Last edited by bluesky5; 02-13-2020, 08:26 PM.
                        "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

I don’t think those guys should be up there actually. I'm more interested that there seems to be a huge gap with no ped guys who slip into the 20-100 range all time. So confirmed PED use got 3 all time top 20 players but moved no one up to the second tier.
                          Last edited by brett; 02-14-2020, 06:41 AM.

Comment

The main controversy with the Fordham Flash was his time on the VC, but he was reportedly quite the "Get off my lawn!" cantankerous old man.

Perhaps it was unfair to lump him in with Big Ed & Cap, though.

Comment

Originally posted by bluesky5 View Post
                              Why not?
                              Your mileage may vary, but obviously because David Ortiz isn't one of the 100 greatest ballplayers in history.

Comment

#43 was Yogi Berra.

I've adjusted my "predictions". (I don't know how Bonds slipped my mind.)

P (11) - Alexander, Clemens, Grove, R.Johnson, W.Johnson, Maddux, Martinez, Mathewson, Paige, Seaver and Young.
                                C (2) - Bench, Gibson
                                3B (2) - Brett, Schmidt
                                LF (5) - Bonds, Henderson, Musial, Williams, Yastrzemski

I really don't see an argument for anyone else likely to make his top 42.
                                The only 2 guys who I could rationalize cracking that group would be Trout and S.J.Williams.

George Davis is probably the next biggest omission.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X