George Burns 1b vs. George Burns OF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• George Burns 1b vs. George Burns OF

Which Burns , both playing in the 1910s and 20s was better?
    “There can be no higher law in journalism than to tell the truth and to shame the devil.” Walter Lippmann

"I don't care if the guy is yellow or black, or if he has stripes like a ******* zebra. I'm the manager of this team and I say he [Robinson] plays." - Leo Durocher

Giants outfielder, stealthy excellent glove mostly in the inside ball era and a bit more valuable offensively, and who's your new photo?
    Jacquelyn Eva Marchand (1983-2017)
    http://www.tezakfuneralhome.com/noti...uelyn-Marchand

Comment

Originally posted by Jar of Flies View Post
      Giants outfielder, stealthy excellent glove mostly in the inside ball era and a bit more valuable offensively, and who's your new photo?
      I'm guessing they're boxers.
      "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Im bipolar
        “There can be no higher law in journalism than to tell the truth and to shame the devil.” Walter Lippmann

"I don't care if the guy is yellow or black, or if he has stripes like a ******* zebra. I'm the manager of this team and I say he [Robinson] plays." - Leo Durocher

Comment

Burns the Giants LF was probably the premier leadoff hitter in the NL in the 1910s, often leading the league in R or OBP. Burns the 1B had a few big years. I vote for George Burns the LF.

Comment

George Joseph Burns (the left fielder) was born in 1889. George Henry Burns (the first baseman) was born in 1893. George Burns (the comedian) was born in 1896. In 1881, Charles Montgomery Burns (the famous Springfield billionaire) was born in 1886. It would seem that the decade of 1886-1896 was the Age of Burns.

I would rank them as follows:

1. Monty Burns
            2. George Burns
            3. George J. Burns (clearly the best ballplayer of the group)
            4. George H. Burns
            "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
            "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
            "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
            "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

Originally posted by Chadwick View Post
              George Joseph Burns (the left fielder) was born in 1889. George Henry Burns (the first baseman) was born in 1893. George Burns (the comedian) was born in 1896. In 1881, Charles Montgomery Burns (the famous Springfield billionaire) was born in 1886. It would seem that the decade of 1886-1896 was the Age of Burns.

1. Monty Burns
              2. George Burns
              4. George H. Burns
              Excellent. (I really wish had the skillset to add a GIF)

Comment

Originally posted by Chadwick View Post

1. Monty Burns
                2. George Burns
                4. George H. Burns
                Mattingly, I thought I told you to trim those infernal sideburns!!

"No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X