Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Breaking Up Multiple No-Hitters in the 9th...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breaking Up Multiple No-Hitters in the 9th...

I was watching this compilation of no-hitters being lost in the 9th inning:

and noticed that Joe Mauer put the dagger in two of them. Looked it up to see who had the most of these no-hitter-killers, and according to this 2013 article, he'd done it three times after doing it to Anibal Sanchez, while Sanchez was with the Tigers. He was, at the time, tied for most times doing this in a career. (Bonus points if you can name the guy with whom he shared the record without reading the article.)

I couldn't find anything about him doing it a fourth time (he broke up a bid by Corey Kluber in 2015, but that was in the 7th inning), so I guess he still shares that record.

I was going to guess Wallace Johnson, but his career wouldn't have lasted to 2015

Comment

Enjoy those no-hitters they're the last ones we're going to see as long as sabermetrics taking a fat dump on everything fun about baseball.
      "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

Originally posted by bluesky5 View Post
        Enjoy those no-hitters they're the last ones we're going to see as long as sabermetrics taking a fat dump on everything fun about baseball.
        The only thing taking a fat dump on baseball right now is the Coronavirus.

More than twice as many no hitters were thrown in the last decade (2010-2019) as were thrown during the 1980's.

Yes, FORTY no-hitters were tossed between 2010 and 2019. 34 of them were solo, 6 were combined.

Thats nearly as many as were thrown in the 1980's and 1990's. Combined.

Enough whining already.
        My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
        2. Barry Bonds
        3. Ty Cobb
        4. Ted Williams
        5. Willie Mays
        6. Alex Rodriguez
        7. Hank Aaron
        8. Honus Wagner
        9. Lou Gehrig
        10. Mickey Mantle