Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Breaking Up Multiple No-Hitters in the 9th...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Breaking Up Multiple No-Hitters in the 9th...

    I was watching this compilation of no-hitters being lost in the 9th inning:



    and noticed that Joe Mauer put the dagger in two of them. Looked it up to see who had the most of these no-hitter-killers, and according to this 2013 article, he'd done it three times after doing it to Anibal Sanchez, while Sanchez was with the Tigers. He was, at the time, tied for most times doing this in a career. (Bonus points if you can name the guy with whom he shared the record without reading the article.)

    I couldn't find anything about him doing it a fourth time (he broke up a bid by Corey Kluber in 2015, but that was in the 7th inning), so I guess he still shares that record.

  • #2
    I was going to guess Wallace Johnson, but his career wouldn't have lasted to 2015

    Comment


    • #3
      Enjoy those no-hitters they're the last ones we're going to see as long as sabermetrics taking a fat dump on everything fun about baseball.
      "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by bluesky5 View Post
        Enjoy those no-hitters they're the last ones we're going to see as long as sabermetrics taking a fat dump on everything fun about baseball.
        The only thing taking a fat dump on baseball right now is the Coronavirus.

        More than twice as many no hitters were thrown in the last decade (2010-2019) as were thrown during the 1980's.

        Yes, FORTY no-hitters were tossed between 2010 and 2019. 34 of them were solo, 6 were combined.

        Thats nearly as many as were thrown in the 1980's and 1990's. Combined.

        Enough whining already.
        My top 10 players:

        1. Babe Ruth
        2. Barry Bonds
        3. Ty Cobb
        4. Ted Williams
        5. Willie Mays
        6. Alex Rodriguez
        7. Hank Aaron
        8. Honus Wagner
        9. Lou Gehrig
        10. Mickey Mantle

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post

          The only thing taking a fat dump on baseball right now is the Coronavirus.

          More than twice as many no hitters were thrown in the last decade (2010-2019) as were thrown during the 1980's.

          Yes, FORTY no-hitters were tossed between 2010 and 2019. 34 of them were solo, 6 were combined.

          Thats nearly as many as were thrown in the 1980's and 1990's. Combined.

          Enough whining already.
          Makes sense since base hits are at an all-time low. There have been multiple young pitchers pulled with no-hit bids the last couple years. So much fun to watch. Who doesn't enjoy seeing a young players dreams ripped from him.
          "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by bluesky5 View Post

            Makes sense since base hits are at an all-time low. There have been multiple young pitchers pulled with no-hit bids the last couple years. So much fun to watch. Who doesn't enjoy seeing a young players dreams ripped from him.
            So you admit that your complaint was unfounded.
            My top 10 players:

            1. Babe Ruth
            2. Barry Bonds
            3. Ty Cobb
            4. Ted Williams
            5. Willie Mays
            6. Alex Rodriguez
            7. Hank Aaron
            8. Honus Wagner
            9. Lou Gehrig
            10. Mickey Mantle

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post

              So you admit that your complaint was unfounded.
              No I'll be proven correct. No-hitters will go away. Unless you're counting combined no-hitters and I see you were - doesn't make sense. Combined no-hitters don't have the excitement of an individual no-hitter.
              "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by bluesky5 View Post

                No I'll be proven correct. No-hitters will go away. Unless you're counting combined no-hitters and I see you were - doesn't make sense. Combined no-hitters don't have the excitement of an individual no-hitter.
                There will always be managers who spit in the face of the babying-pitchers philosophy. Even the most stringent adherents to the latter mindset will admit it's idiocy to pull a guy when he's putting up zeros on the board through seven (or, god forbid, even six), if that's what you're getting at.
                (On a related note–the "no-hitter watch" is getting old. Seven complete innings is the minimum for fans to really tune in to the possibility of the no-no happening.)

                Comment

                Ad Widget

                Collapse
                Working...
                X