No announcement yet.

Putting Myths to Rest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=Honus Wagner Rules;n3604324]I think my favorite myth that is parroted ALL THE TIME is that Mickey Mantle ran a legit time of 3.1 seconds from home to first over 90 feet. That time is laughably implausible.

https://youtu.be/1RlQ7EcgoM0

As you can see in the Hamilton video ,they don't start the timer until your left foot is on the firstbase side of the batter's box ,and you are up right and running. This is the exact way they timed Mantle, he we running between 83 -85 feet. Using that same method , I had video clips of Bill North at 3.17 and Willie Wilson at 3.12 seconds to firstbase , this is not uncommon for the fastest guy's in the game. Mantle could fly by today standards ,but the media often stretches' the truth and misleads people were he is concerned.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by carsdaddy; 02-19-2021, 11:09 AM.

Comment

As you can see in the Hamilton video ,they don't start the timer until your left foot is on the firstbase side of the batter's box ,and you are up right and running. This is the exact way they timed Mantle, he we running between 83 -85 feet. Using that same method , I had video clips of Bill North at 3.17 and Willie Wilson at 3.12 seconds to firstbase , this is not uncommon for the fastest guy's in the game. Mantle could fly by today standards ,but the media often stretches' the truth and misleads people were he is concerned.

Comment

This a solid case that on 7/18/21 Ruth's home run over the CF fence in Detroit was not 575 feet ,but move likely between 483 - 520 feet , depending were you believe the ball to have left the park. The New York's Times said the ball sailed out of the park over the CF corner , given the height that would put it in the low 480's. On the other hand if it flew out over the bleachers in straight away CF, Which the Times makes no mention of , about 520 feet would be reasonable, but never the less the information from the Times makes it pretty clear that the ball couldn't have possibly flown 575 feet.
        Attached Files

Comment

[QUOTE=carsdaddy;n3604753]
          Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
          I think my favorite myth that is parroted ALL THE TIME is that Mickey Mantle ran a legit time of 3.1 seconds from home to first over 90 feet. That time is laughably implausible.

https://youtu.be/1RlQ7EcgoM0

The video is set to private thus i cannot watch it.

I simply cannot buy that Mantle was as fast as those other more modern speedsters. IMO these hand times are useless as there is no process control at all. Here is where that mantle timing came from.

Baserunning Times.jpg
          Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Another well known myth is that Jackie Robinson's "worst" sport was baseball.
            Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

[QUOTE=Honus Wagner Rules;n3605279]
              Originally posted by carsdaddy View Post

I simply cannot buy that Mantle was as fast as those other more modern speedsters. IMO these hand times are useless as there is no process control at all. Here is where that mantle timing came from.

Baserunning Times.jpg
              https://youtu.be/yhqACX6sHd0 I'm not Al Michaels , but I did my best.
              Last edited by carsdaddy; 02-23-2021, 05:03 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Honus Wagner Rules;n3605279]

Baserunning Times.jpg
                I believe the Hamilton video is now accessible .

Comment

Originally posted by SHOELESSJOE3 View Post

Thats the guys with all the numbers thinking. It depends on the situation, runners on base a strike out always produces no advance. If there is contact even an out could advance or score a run. They do matter and hurt in some game situations. Hoping someone doesn't get cute and will suggest, what about a strike out and the ball gets by the catcher.
                  How is a strikeout any worse than a hitter popping up ,or even worse hitting into a double play ? Just making contact doesn't mean a runner advance.
                  Last edited by carsdaddy; 02-24-2021, 01:11 PM.

Comment

How is a strike any worse than a hitter popping up ,or even worse hitting into a double play ? Just making contact doesn't mean a runner advance.
                    I did say in "some" game situations making any contact would be better than a strikeout.
                    I didn't say a runner will always advance or score when contact is made.
                    When the batter strikes out the runner does not advance. Not speaking of stolen bases, passed balls a wild pitch.

Strike out nothing happens with runners on base.
                    Have you heard of the productive out, I'm sure you have, hit the ball on the right side, maybe advance the runner, second to third. The runner can score on a ground out, long fly.
                    Runners have even scored on a DP.
                    Strike out in some game situations, nothing happens. Make contact anything can happen, a hit, long fly or even an error.

Comment

• Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
                      Another well known myth is that Jackie Robinson's "worst" sport was baseball.
                      Another one. Ty Cobb was a racist.

Comment

• I never met the man ,but the fact that he was friends with Tom Yawkee doesn't look good.
                        Last edited by carsdaddy; 02-25-2021, 10:19 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOELESSJOE3 View Post

I did say in "some" game situations making any contact would be better than a strikeout.
                          I didn't say a runner will always advance or score when contact is made.
                          When the batter strikes out the runner does not advance. Not speaking of stolen bases, passed balls a wild pitch.

Strike out nothing happens with runners on base.
                          Have you heard of the productive out, I'm sure you have, hit the ball on the right side, maybe advance the runner, second to third. The runner can score on a ground out, long fly.
                          Runners have even scored on a DP.
                          Strike out in some game situations, nothing happens. Make contact anything can happen, a hit, long fly or even an error.
                          The 'myth' is that a strikeout is much more valuable for a pitcher to get then other outs, and yet is the same for a batter to get as other outs. Just like how driving in a run should lead to no extra credit because the batter has no control over who is on base..and yet at the same time he should get penalized for hitting into a double play since apparently then he does have control over who is on base.

Welcome to the wacky world of sabermetrics.

Comment

• Originally posted by willshad View Post

The 'myth' is that a strikeout is much more valuable for a pitcher to get then other outs, and yet is the same for a batter to get as other outs. Just like how driving in a run should lead to no extra credit because the batter has no control over who is on base..and yet at the same time he should get penalized for hitting into a double play since apparently then he does have control over who is on base.

Welcome to the wacky world of sabermetrics.
                            You know, with the bases loaded, nobody out, a 6-4-3 DP isn't the worst possible outcome for the inning. Granted, you probably won't be putting up any crooked numbers on the scoreboard but at least you have one in. In the 1962 WS Game 7 I believe the NYY beat SF 1-0 doing just that. And getting an exceptional pitching performance by Ralph Terry.
                            It Might Be? It Could Be?? It Is!

Comment

• Originally posted by 64Cards View Post

You know, with the bases loaded, nobody out, a 6-4-3 DP isn't the worst possible outcome for the inning. Granted, you probably won't be putting up any crooked numbers on the scoreboard but at least you have one in. In the 1962 WS Game 7 I believe the NYY beat SF 1-0 doing just that. And getting an exceptional pitching performance by Ralph Terry.
                              Exactly, this is an easy one "depending on the game situation", a strikeout is a zero. The only guy moving is the batter walking back to the bench.
                              If contact is made, even with no safe hit, runners can advance, run could score.

Put this one to sleep.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X