Greatest Player Ever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post

I think this is a exaggeration IMO. At best it's an unknown. Looking at Ruth's actual pitching numbers he doesn't look quite so dominant. He had a career 122 ERA+. He had that big year in 1916 with a 158 ERA+ but he never came close to matching that ever again. How well would have Ruth's arm held up? We'll never know.
    Would he make the HOF if he stuck to pitching. Would he have continued to pitch at or even close to what he did in those three seasons................answer to both, we can't say for sure. Would it be a stretch to assume he might have gone on to be a really good or great pitcher based on those three seasons, I don't think so.

You say he never came close to that 1916 year. Consider this, 1917 was the last year he was a pitcher only and that was a very good year.

Obvious his pitching dropped off after 1917, he did more than pitch.
    1918 pitched 13-7, played 13 games at first base and 59 in the outfield.
    1919 pitched 9-5, played 111 games in the outfield. What ever he was paid, he deserved more.

1917 not a bad year, this is both leagues. ERA blocked out in that display, it was 2.02 and he was 22-13 record.

Comeplete.JPG
    Last edited by SHOELESSJOE3; 11-22-2019, 02:50 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOELESSJOE3 View Post

Would he make the HOF if he stuck to pitching. Would he have continued to pitch at or even close to what he did in those three seasons................answer to both, we can't say for sure. Would it be a stretch to assume he might have gone on to be a really good or great pitcher based on those three seasons, I don't think so.
      You say he never came close to that 1916 year. Consider this, 1917 was the last year he was a pitcher only and that was a very good year.
      Obvious his pitching dropped off after 1917, he did more than pitch.
      1918 pitched 13-7, played 13 games at first base and 59 in the outfield.
      1918 pitched 9-5, played 111 games in the outfield. What ever he was paid, he deserved more.

1917 not a bad year, this is both leagues.

Comeplete.JPG
      Jim Bagby was better
      “There can be no higher law in journalism than to tell the truth and to shame the devil.” Walter Lippmann

"I don't care if the guy is yellow or black, or if he has stripes like a ******* zebra. I'm the manager of this team and I say he [Robinson] plays." - Leo Durocher

Comment

• His standing as a pitcher only 1915-16-17 Ruth pitching part 1_edited-2.jpg . Maybe small sample three years pitcher only but looks like a possible very good or great pitcher, can't say for sure. Look at the one pitcher better than him, a guy named Walter Johnson. Notice I stayed away from wins/losses since Babe pitched on a great team. Most stats show what he could do as a pitcher.
        Last edited by SHOELESSJOE3; 11-22-2019, 02:58 PM.

Comment

• Babe Ruth Header bat check top page_edited-1.jpg Sam Jones once said, at time Babe hit a ball so far, you could not believe your eyes. In this case, Indian catcher was in doubt.
          It's not the bat Luke, it was the batter.

Comment

• First off I'm surprised Gehrig isn't in there and considered an "other" and ted Williams as well. Secondly I really can't see anyone having an argument against Ruth being the greatest ever. He was the greatest all around hitter ever, hit for average, got on base better then everyone in history except one player, had a higher slugging average then everyone in history, scored a ton of runs every year, hit more homeruns then entire teams did for a few years, was dominant in the regular season, all star games, World Series, against negro league pitchers...so it's pretty much a consensus that he was the greatest hitter ever(although some will say Williams, bonds, Cobb, etc, most people agree it's Ruth). Then on top of all that he was the best left handed pitcher of his era when he was a pitcher, and dominated the World Series as a pitcher. He outdueled arguably the greatest pitcher ever, Walter Johnson, on multiple occasions. I'm just surprised the poll isn't 100% for Ruth.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X