Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BBF Ranking Game - Election #79 - Voting

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    1. Jeff Pfeffer
    2. Jason Schmidt
    3. Edgardo Alfonso
    4. Josh Hamilton
    5. Heinie Zimmerman
    6. Tommy Holmes
    7. Lance Lynn
    8. Alex Gordon
    9. Benny Kauff
    10. Bob Rush
    11. Buddy Lewis
    12. Chick Hafey
    13. Trevor Story - I revised my opinion from last ballot
    14. Gary Gaetti
    15. Harvey Haddix
    16. Paul Konerko
    17. Jerry Reuss
    18. Claude Osteen
    19. Andres Galarraga
    20. Jason Varitek
    21. Bobby Bonilla
    22. Del Ennis
    23. Bill Pierce
    24. Jayson Werth
    25. Bob Boone
    26. Tim McCarver
    27. JT Realmuto
    28. George Mullin
    29. Alfonso Soriano
    30. Hank Sauer
    31. Yasmani Grandal
    32. Adam Dunn

    Comment


    • #17
      I think at this point, I have only 2 players left who I can make a case for the Hall, and that's Dick McBride and Aroldis Chapman.

      1. Heinie Zimmerman
      2. George Mullin
      3. Andres Galarraga

      4. Bobby Bonilla
      5. Benny Kauff
      6. Bob Boone
      7. Alfonso Soriano

      8. Gary Gaetti
      9. Del Ennis
      10. Adam Dunn
      11. Tommy Holmes
      12. Jeff Pfeffer
      13. Jason Varitek
      14. Chick Hafey
      15. Paul Konerko
      16. Tim McCarver

      17. Josh Hamilton
      18. Trevor Story
      19. Hank Sauer
      20. Buddy Lewis
      21. Claude Osteen
      22. Jerry Reuss

      23. Bill Pierce
      24. Edgardo Alfonso
      25. JT Realmuto
      26. Lance Lynn
      27. Harvey Haddix

      28. Yasmani Grandal
      29. Alex Gordon
      30. Jason Schmidt
      31. Bob Rush
      32. Jayson Werth

      Comment


      • #18
        1. Bill Pierce
        2. Jeff Pfeffer
        3. Jerry Reuss
        4. Bobby Bonilla
        5. Trevor Story
        6. Gary Gaetti
        7. Chick Hafey
        8. Heinie Zimmerman
        9. Benny Kauff
        10. J.T. Realmuto
        11. Alex Gordon
        12. Yasmani Grandal
        13. Tommy Holmes
        14. Buddy Lewis
        15. Lance Lynn
        16. Jason Schmidt
        17. Bob Rush
        18. Bob Boone
        19. Tim McCarver
        20. Edgardo Alfonzo
        21. Jason Varitek
        22. Harvey Haddix
        23. Josh Hamilton
        24. George Mullin
        25. Claude Osteen
        26. Jayson Werth
        27. Alfonso Soriano
        28. Andres Galarraga
        29. Hank Sauer
        30. Del Ennis
        31. Paul Konerko
        32. Adam Dunn

        Comment


        • #19
          We had 12 voters last time. One is abstaining from this election. We have 8 ballots in already, effectively leaving 3 people left to vote. I know it's "early" in the week, but guys...please get your ballots in ASAP. You don't have to wait until the 11th hour.

          Just a heads-up.
          "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
          "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
          "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
          "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

          Comment


          • #20
            Another deep group of candidates...

            1. Jason Varitek
            2. Jayson Werth
            3. Claude Osteen
            4. Alfonso Soriano
            5. Harvey Haddix
            6. Jason Schmidt
            7. Alex Gordon
            8. Bob Rush
            9. Edgardo Alfonzo
            10. Bill Pierce
            11. Tim McCarver
            12. Yasmani Grandal
            13. Jerry Reuss
            14. Gary Gaetti
            15. Buddy Lewis
            16. Tommy Holmes
            17. JT Realmuto
            18. Heinie Zimmerman
            19. Jeff Pfeffer
            20. Lance Lynn
            21. George Mullin
            22. Bobby Bonilla
            23. Trevor Story
            24. Josh Hamilton
            25. Chick Hafey
            26. Bob Boone
            27. Andres Galarraga
            28. Del Ennis
            29. Adam Dunn
            30. Hank Sauer
            31. Benny Kauff
            32. Paul Konerko
            Jacquelyn Eva Marchand (1983-2017)
            http://www.tezakfuneralhome.com/noti...uelyn-Marchand

            Comment


            • #21
              While we are waiting, I thought I'd posted about him, but cannot find the post now. What do you all think of Pythias Russ? He was one of the NeL's brightest and best athletes who's career was cut tragically short due to a bout of tuberculosis which cut his life very short:

              https://www.seamheads.com/NegroLgs/p...rID=russ-01pyt

              https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/141090300/pythias-russ


              https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythias_Russ

              Chino Smith gets a lot of attention, but Russ has a career as impressive if not more, albeit on the short side. Either way, he is the last of the true stars of the prime years of the NeL yet to be ranked or considered on a ballot to this point. He was also primarily a C/SS.
              Last edited by jjpm74; 10-13-2021, 02:54 PM.

              Comment


              • #22
                I'll vote for Russ right after Frank Duncan gets in
                My dream ballpark dimensions
                LF: 388 Feet...Height 37 Feet...LCF: 455 Feet...CF: 542 Feet...Height 35 Feet
                RCF: 471 Feet...RF: 400 Feet...Height 60 Feet
                Location....San Diego

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by jjpm74 View Post
                  While we are waiting, I thought I'd posted about him, but cannot find the post now. What do you all think of Pythias Russ? He was one of the NeL's brightest and best athletes who's career was cut tragically short due to a bout of tuberculosis which cut his life very short:

                  https://www.seamheads.com/NegroLgs/p...rID=russ-01pyt

                  https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/141090300/pythias-russ


                  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythias_Russ

                  Chino Smith gets a lot of attention, but Russ has a career as impressive if not more, albeit on the short side. Either way, he is the last of the true stars of the prime years of the NeL yet to be ranked or considered on a ballot to this point. He was also primarily a C/SS.
                  I'm intrigued, good call out here.
                  Jacquelyn Eva Marchand (1983-2017)
                  http://www.tezakfuneralhome.com/noti...uelyn-Marchand

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Passed the four day mark, BigRon, Fielding Marshall, and Freakshow yet to vote, Toledo Inquisition abstaining, happy almost weekend gents!

                    Jacquelyn Eva Marchand (1983-2017)
                    http://www.tezakfuneralhome.com/noti...uelyn-Marchand

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      One other short career guy I am ready to pull the trigger on is George Stone. Stone played in 7 MLB seasons plus 2 outstanding minor league seasons. He is the only player to win a batting title in the aughts not in the HOF. He is also one of only a small handful of players ever to have a season north of 8.5 that we haven't ranked. More on him here:

                      https://sabr.org/bioproj/person/george-stone-2/

                      https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...tonege01.shtml

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        As long as we're looking at short career guys, maybe we look at Charlie Ferguson soon. Then again, that might give Toledo Inquisition a seizure.
                        "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
                        "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
                        "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
                        "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Chadwick View Post
                          As long as we're looking at short career guys, maybe we look at Charlie Ferguson soon. Then again, that might give Toledo Inquisition a seizure.
                          I would definitely consider Ferguson here.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Chadwick View Post
                            As long as we're looking at short career guys, maybe we look at Charlie Ferguson soon. Then again, that might give Toledo Inquisition a seizure.
                            I'm already wondering if I am watching the same game as everyone else when I hear Pythias Russ being discussed.


                            C'mon, Ross Youngs was just voted in last round, and he played 1211 games. Russ played 900 less than that. Youngs was a better hitter, for much longer. Defensively Russ' fielding percentage at short (with our limited data) is much worse than MLBers who played at the same time and worse than MLBers who played 10 years earlier (remember this is the era of glove development). I am sure Russ played on some poor to terrible fields in the NeL, but a lot of the games were at MLB stadia (such as Washington)...who also didn't have great field conditions compared to today. Players 10 years earlier were fielding 20 points higher.

                            I see no objective or subjective reasons why anyone should vote for Russ. That people don't want to vote for current MLBers (who *supposedly* have a much higher LQ according to these same voters), who have 2000+ MLB hits, 400+ MLB homers. Heck, people don't want to vote for MLBers who had many more career homers than Pythias had documented career hits (including hits against extremely dubious competition).

                            I guess I just am judging on completely different criteria than other rankers. That doesn't mean I am correct, but that others' voting is so incomprehensible to me, we are barely speaking the same baseball language. There seems to be a lack of consistency for some in my opinion.

                            Whether or not you agree with me, you do have to admit that I do try to be consistent (right or wrong) in my perspectives.
                            Last edited by Toledo Inquisition; 10-16-2021, 09:41 AM.
                            "I, Toledo Inquisition, firmly believe that the New York Mets will win the 2021 World Series."
                            Play the Who am I? game in trivia and you can make this signature line yours for 3 days (baseball signatures only!)

                            Go here for a link to all player links! http://www.baseball-fever.com/forum/...player-threads

                            Go here for all your 1920's/1930's OF info

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              As we move down the talent pyramid, each successive level becomes wider. To reflect this increasingly small margin between top candidates, I am increasing my "in my queue" posts to include a larger number of top remaining candidates. This is also to promote cooperation with other electors.

                              With the end of the regular season, I am also reworking my player rating methodology, as well as adding 2021 data to the dataset. To date, I have at least updated my MLB career data sufficiently to make intelligent guesses for this project.

                              Bottom line is that my "in my queue" post will reflect these changes going forward (I've already modified the one I made in this round's nomination thread). I can say with a fair degree of certainty that I will not be nominating anyone not in these "queue" posts. That doesn't mean they aren't on the horizon, but I will continue to restrict my nominating efforts only on those players I see as the cream of the (remaining) crop.

                              My Pre-#79 Queue

                              P - Ramon Bragana, Matt Cain, Mort Cooper, George Cuppy, Danny Darwin, Roosevelt Davis, Bill Donovan, John Denny, Frank Dwyer, Russ Ford, Freddy Garcia, Pat Hentgen, Bruce Hurst, Fred Hutchinson, Charlie Leibrandt, Dutch Leonard (the other one), Lance Lynn, Sadie McMahon, George Mullin, Claude Osteen, Fritz Ostermueller, Jeff Pfeffer, Rick Rhoden, Bob Rush, Jason Schmidt, Rick Sutcliffe, Roy Welmaker, Kerry Wood

                              C – Ed Bailey, Darren Daulton, Gervasio Gonzalez, Yasmani Grandal, Chris Hoiles, Victor Martinez, Manny Sanguillen, Terry Steinbach, Butch Wynegar

                              1B – Lu Blue, Brandon Belt, Phil Cavarretta, Darin Erstad, Wally Joyner, Derrek Lee, Frank McCormick, Carlos Santana, George Scott, Earl Torgeson, Hal Trosky

                              2B – Bingo DeMoss, Bill Doran, Ray Durham, Mark Ellis, Orlando Hudson, Ron Hunt, Miller Huggins, Howie Kendrick, Bonnie Serrell

                              3B – Alex Bregman, Jeff Cirillo, Travis Fryman, Gary Gaetti, Richie Hebner, Ken Keltner, Oliver Marcelle, Ken McMullen, Don Money, Billy Nash

                              SS – Ray Chapman, Brandon Crawford, Kid Elberfeld, Scott Fletcher, Eddie Joost, Johnny Logan, Marcus Semien, Trevor Story, Trea Turner, Jose Valentin, Artie Wilson

                              LF – Michael Brantley, Rico Carty, Ron Gant, Alex Gordon, Chick Hafey, Fats Jenkins, Riggs Stephenson, Justin Upton, Gene Woodling

                              CF – Brady Anderson, Chili Davis, Jacoby Ellsbury, Josh Hamilton, Kevin Kiermaier, Garry Maddox, Clyde Milan, Spotswood Poles, Mickey Rivers, Grady Sizemore, Shane Victorino

                              RF – Hank Bauer, Shawn Green, Ken Griffey, Tommy Holmes, Brian Jordan, Aaron Judge, J.D. Martinez, Hunter Pence
                              Last edited by Chadwick; 10-16-2021, 10:06 AM.
                              "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
                              "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
                              "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
                              "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by Toledo Inquisition View Post

                                I'm already wondering if I am watching the same game as everyone else when I hear Pythias Russ being discussed.


                                C'mon, Ross Youngs was just voted in last round, and he played 1211 games. Russ played 900 less than that. Youngs was a better hitter, for much longer. Defensively Russ' fielding percentage at short (with our limited data) is much worse than MLBers who played at the same time and worse than MLBers who played 10 years earlier (remember this is the era of glove development). I am sure Russ played on some poor to terrible fields in the NeL, but a lot of the games were at MLB stadia (such as Washington)...who also didn't have great field conditions compared to today. Players 10 years earlier were fielding 20 points higher.

                                I see no objective or subjective reasons why anyone should vote for Russ. That people don't want to vote for current MLBers (who *supposedly* have a much higher LQ according to these same voters), who have 2000+ MLB hits, 400+ MLB homers. Heck, people don't want to vote for MLBers who had many more career homers than Pythias had documented career hits (including hits against extremely dubious competition).

                                I guess I just am judging on completely different criteria than other rankers. That doesn't mean I am correct, but that others' voting is so incomprehensible to me, we are barely speaking the same baseball language. There seems to be a lack of consistency for some in my opinion.

                                Whether or not you agree with me, you do have to admit that I do try to be consistent (right or wrong) in my perspectives.
                                I think we all try to be consistent.

                                The way I've been seeing it, some voters consider counting stats and career duration more than other voters. One voter cares only about counting numbers and considers value not one bit. Other voters care less about accumulation and put more emphasis on value and what the player accomplished while active. It's why some opine that a 6-year player can be better than a 20-year player.

                                I don't think anyone's evaluation method is better or worse than anyone else's, but as you say, it often seems like we're talking different baseball languages.
                                Put it in the books.

                                Comment

                                Ad Widget

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X