No announcement yet.

Baseball disappointments-name your 2 or 3 worst

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are there no Redsox fans on this site? I can't believe no one has mentioned game #7 of the ALCS last year!
    You see, you spend a good deal of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time. J. Bouton

Comment

Originally posted by catcher24
      RMB - You seem to dislike the Yankees (as they were the winners in your Brooklyn & Giants game listings). I understand that, as I personally loathe them. So I'm curious about your #4 choice - did you want the Yanks to win in '57? Milwaukee beat the Yanks in 57 - Burdette won three games. Now in '58, Milwaukee had the Yanks down three games to one, then lost the last three! Just wondering.
      My bad, I meant '58 not '57
      Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
      Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

Biggest disappointments?

OK, here they are.

1) Game 7 – 1973 WS
        Thanks a lot, Reggie & Bert.

2) Game 7 – 1985 WS
        Thanks a lot, George Brett.

3) Game 7 – 2001 WS
        Thanks a lot, Gonzo.
        "Heroes are people who are all good with no bad in them. That's the way I always saw Joe DiMaggio. He was beyond question one of the greatest players of the century."

~Mickey Mantle

Comment

Originally posted by catcher24
          Are there no Redsox fans on this site? I can't believe no one has mentioned game #7 of the ALCS last year!
          It still hurts too much to talk about much. They showed the retrospective of the Sox's '03 season on TV the other night and I couldn't watch Game 7. Just couldn't do it. Don't know if I ever will.

This one was worse than '86, because then, we still had another game. Last fall... we had it in the bag. We had it in our HANDS... and then to see Pedro hung out to dry like that in the midst of 55,000 people who despised the very air he breathed, all screaming with unholy glee... when every Sox fan in the known universe was screaming at their TVs and radios in unison "TAKE HIM OUT!!" And Grady left him there!! Oh god... It was exquisite, refined torture of the most spirit-breaking kind. The Spanish Inquisition never had tortures that effective. Torquemada would have loved it.

See? I tell ya, I just get too upset about it.
          --Annie
          Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friend to one, enemy to none. -Benjamin Franklin, statesman, author, and inventor (1706-1790)
          Remember Yellowdog
          ABNY

Comment

As disappointed as I was in the Dodgers beating the A's in '88(I'm an A's fan), I found their other postseason failures more difficult to take.
            While the '88 Series seemed like some kind of fluke, it was 1990 that really bugged me. Seeing Jose Rijo and the 'Nasty Boys' totally dominate the A's made me sick!
            I had been firmly convinced the Reds were a real fluke, and that they only lucked out because the NL WEst had been so mediocre that year. The A's just never showed up for Game 1, and it only got worse from there!
            Canseco's butchering of that 8th-inning fly ball by Billy Hatcher in Game 2 really sums up the last few years of his A's career for me!
            Seeing Eckersley lose another World Series game was even worse!
            Game 3 was quite possibly one of the worst Series games ever played; Mike Moore looked like a zombie during pregame warmups, and proved that he had nothing. The A's got hammered 8-3 in a game that was over by the third inning.
            Game 4 was a tease: We finally got that pitchers' duel between Rijo and Stewart, and the A's actualy scored an early run. Then Hatcher and Davis go down with serious injuries. Even if the A's couldn't win the Series, they suddenly had a good chance to send it back to Cincinnati.
            But, the A's couldn't get anyone on base after the second inning, and in the eighth, 'little ball' by the Reds, with an A's error for bad measure, set up a 2-1 win...and Rijo, 'vindicated' after being traded by Oakland, won the MVP...Aaaargh!
            To Rijo's credit, that season marked the start of 5 or 6 good years for him...while Canseco wore out his welcome fairly quickly!

The other one that sticks in my mind: Game 4 of the '92 ALCS: The A's can't hold a 5-run leadin the 8th, Eck has to come in early, barely survives the 8th with a 6-4 lead, and then gets tagged by Alomar in the 9th!
            That '92 A's team was more flawed than the '88 through '90 versions. They just didn't have enough pitching depth, and couldn't make it to a potential Game 7 with Ron Darling pitching at Skydome(where he'd had an inordinate amount of success in his career).

Comment

Originally posted by VTSoxFan
              when every Sox fan in the known universe was screaming at their TVs and radios in unison "TAKE HIM OUT!!" And Grady left him there!! Oh god... It was exquisite, refined torture of the most spirit-breaking kind. The Spanish Inquisition never had tortures that effective. Torquemada would have loved it.

See? I tell ya, I just get too upset about it.
              How about the 67' World Series - when they threw Jim Lonborg on the mound with 2-days rest. Lonborg had already pitched two completes, tossing a 1-hitter and a 3-hitter. But he faced Gibson in the finale, who also tossed two complete game victories - one a shutout, the other should have been, except BoSox pitcher Jose Santiago homered. However Gibby had three days rest for the finale - and of course, the Cards blasted Lonborg 7-2 with Gibby himself hammering a longball. Now, of course, I loved that game.

Comment

Well, that was before my time. I get a scowl when I read about it, same as I get mad when I read about Denny Galehouse. Why did DENNY GALEHOUSE start the 1-game playoff with Cleveland in '48???

Last year, though... I get nauseated if I think on it too hard.
                --Annie
                Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friend to one, enemy to none. -Benjamin Franklin, statesman, author, and inventor (1706-1790)
                Remember Yellowdog
                ABNY

Comment

Originally posted by billny33
                  #1 2001 - World Series game 7 9th inning (Luis Gonzales's role in the rally is overrated while Tony Womack's role is underrated. It was Womack's double that truly broke my spirit because I did not believe that such a moment (blowing that 9th inning lead) in such a significant situation was possible against Rivera and the Yankees.

Yes, you are, sadly, correct. That was the hit that brought home the realization that we could and would lose.

1960 was second worse because it was a WS and not a game that was needed to get to the WS.
                  Baseball articles you might not like but should read.

Comment

VTSox Fan - As a diehard Yankee hater, I feel your pain. As a Tribe fan, I can relate wholeheartedly. Refer to WS Game #7, 1997, Indians ahead of Marlins in 9th, 3 LOUSY OUTS TO GO. Jose Mesa blows the save, and Renteria drives a stake though the heart of Indians fans everywhere in the 11th. SOOOO CLOSE!!!
                    You see, you spend a good deal of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time. J. Bouton

Comment

Mine are:

1. Bud Selig being appointed acting commisioner
                      2. Bud Selig being appointed commisioner
                      3. Bud Selig remaining commisioner

Comment

Yeah, 1960 seems like it would have been a colossal letdown to live through, also 1964. Im sure 1980 and 81 were pretty bad too cuz the Royals and Dodgers were both huge rivals all yankee fans probably hated. I wonder which loss was more painful.

But 1960 I think is also the greatest david-goliath story in baseball history, so from a historical viewpoint I find it greatly intriguing.
                        "You can't say I love baseball and then turn around and say I hate the Yankees when they play the game the way you wish your team played"
                        --Bob Ryan BOSTON Globe Columnist

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Jaw

1981 - the second strike. This one was a mess. It erased 53 regular season games.
                          Especially for the Reds. With 2 catchers batting over .300 and Seaver with a 14-2 record. It was the last year of any real remnant of the Big Red Machine and they got squat for their record. After '81, the team would sink into to basement until Rose and Schott came along. Go figure.

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Jaw

1981 - the second strike. This one was a mess. It erased 53 regular season games.

That one really had to hurt, considering the Reds in the end had a better overall record (66-42) than the Dodgers did (63-47) yet the Dodgers were the ones going to the playoffs.
                            "Heroes are people who are all good with no bad in them. That's the way I always saw Joe DiMaggio. He was beyond question one of the greatest players of the century."

~Mickey Mantle

Comment

1. 1982 WS Game 7 Rainout (yeah, I wasn't born yet, but I have all 7 games on tape and the clips from the nightly Milwaukee News programs).

2. Randy Johnson's 20 K's not being counted as 20 K's in a 9-inning game (like Wood, Clemens, and Clemens).
                              AL East Champions: 1981 1982
                              AL Pennant: 1982
                              NL Central Champions: 2011
                              NL Wild Card: 2008

"It was like coming this close to your dreams and then watching them brush past you like a stranger in a crowd. At the time you don't think much of it; you know, we just don't recognize the significant moments of our lives while they're happening. Back then I thought, 'Well, there'll be other days.' I didn't realize that that was the only day." - Moonlight Graham

Comment

1981 Strike - Yeah, the Reds got stiffed good in 81. Same thing happened to the Cardinals in the East. They had the best overall record (59-43, .578 pct.), but the Expos went to the playoffs (60-46,.556 pct.). The way they "reconciled" that 1981 strike by dividing the season didn't make a whole lot of people happy.
                                Last edited by catcher24; 03-15-2004, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X