• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rak147
    • Mar 2004

Baseball disappointments-name your 2 or 3 worst

My biggest baseball disappointments were :

1. Minnesota Twins losing to LA Dodgers in '65 series

2. As best as I recall, and someone correct me if I am wrong,1967-Minn Twins went into Fenway and lost last 2 games of season and Red Sox won pennant; big Twins baseball fan even then and was hurting after that one;
  • santotohof
    • Mar 2004

Ground ball through Leon Durhams legs in 84 and the 69 Mets

Comment

• KHenry14
      Gigantes Moderator
      • Feb 2004

My disapointments...

1) Game 6 2002 WS

2) Buckner

3) Gibson

4) Earthquake

5) 1987 NLCS

KH14
      “Well, I like to say I’m completely focused, right? I mean, the game’s on the line. It’s not like I’m thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer — it tastes friggin’ awesome!"--Brian Wilson

Comment

• billny33
        • Oct 2002

Hey KHenry, why Buckner if youre more of a bay area fan?

Here's mine

#1 2001 - World Series game 7 9th inning (Luis Gonzales's role in the rally is overrated while Tony Womack's role is underrated. It was Womack's double that truly broke my spirit because I did not believe that such a moment (blowing that 9th inning lead) in such a significant situation was possible against Rivera and the Yankees. I felt it was an incredible tragedy for all those miracles and all that magic of games 3, 4, and 5, the Soriano walk off homer against 116 win-Seattle, the comeback from 2-0 against Oakland in Oakland and the famous Jeter play, the sense of winning to give hope for a heartbroken New York City after 9/11, in fact, that whole World Series and playoff run to me seemed larger than anything in sports I had ever seen before, larger than larger than life in fact-- to go for naught all directly because of one lightning-quick reversal of a rally that lasted a total of 14 pitches and 6 batters. It just didnt seem right. But some of that is probably my bias as a Yankee fan speaking. I do feel Schilling and Johnson, Grace and Williams, Womack and Gonzalez, all were great established players who deserved a ring before they got too old to play the game anymore.

#2 1995 - Division Series Yankees-Mariners. You cant feel any better about a team's chances than you would after that second emotional victory on Leyritz's homer, completely demoralizing Seattle it seemed. And of course there's the thinking "Anybody can win one out of three" Mattingly was finally in the playoffs and it seemed going to the 'real' (at least it seemed more real than ths newly invented ALDS back then) postseason the LCS, very soon. Suddenly all kinds of are-you-kidding-me comebacks befelled the Yankees, Seattle's offense defined clutch, always scoring just enough runs at the very moment you felt your team had them dead. In my eyes, they took away Mattingly's chances at further postseason glory in his final year, as well as a would-be series winning RBI double in the 6th inning of game 5. The team had not won anything at that point and so there were no past memories of championships (at least for me) to fall back on. Showalter then left along with martyr Mattingly (the most painful departure), Mike Stanley, Jack McDowell and many others during what appeared to be a very dark offseason. Little did we know...

#3 1997 - Division Series Yankees-Indians - The old Yankee magic from 96 was certainly still there. Case in point, the oft-forgotten game one of this series. 7th inning the Yanks were behind until back-to-back-to-back glorious homers by Raines, Jeter and O'Neill turned this game on its ear. The Yankees only had to win one of the next 2 games in gms 4 and 5. Game 4's runs came so scarce that the Yanks could only forge a nail-biting 2-1 lead, Rivera wasnt proven the way he is now but that Alomar opposite field HR in the 8th seemed almost flukish. From that point on, the crowd seemed to carry their team to an inevitable victory. Suddenly they make scoring the winning run in the 9th look almost like a breeze when I insisted it wouldnt be so easy. Yet that was even more flukish. The winning run scored on an awkward bouncer off reliever Ramiro Mendoza and bounced to where Jeter had been a second earlier. But no one could have anticipated the ball coming at him on a deflection off a pitcher. Game 5 saw a Yankee comeback from 4-0 that came painfully close to fruition. It was 4-3 in the 9th and we all knew O'Neill, batting 3rd in the inning, would be a savior of sorts. Why everyone else had to go and incompetently swing at the first pitch to loft weak fly balls is anybody's guess. O'Neill's elusive yet just as painful slide into second (he had just scorched a line-drive double off the lower part of the right-centerfield wall, the relay had clearly gotten to second base ahead of him) impossibly beating a tag that had been waiting for him at second base is one of the images I will forever remember as a Yankee fan. It is perhaps the truest example of his competitive spirit as well as how he sacrificed his body for his team's chances of winning yet no one ever speaks of it. All that went up in smoke as Bernie Williams lofted a can of corn to Brian Giles on the very next pitch to end the Yankees season.

Sorry if I got carried away. I guess to me each heartbreak is more than a result of one singular moment or incident and I feel the need to explain how they all connect.
        "You can't say I love baseball and then turn around and say I hate the Yankees when they play the game the way you wish your team played"
        --Bob Ryan BOSTON Globe Columnist

Comment

• nightal
          • Mar 2003

1. Game 6 of the 1985 World Series

2. Game 7 of the 1968 World Series

3. The whole 1987 World Series
          Waner, Mantle, Bench, Nightal?

Comment

• RuthMayBond
            Out in LF (Bartman of BBF
            • Jan 2004

1) The Tribe's 1954 postseason, uh, efforts

2) '97 World Series, game 7 :grouchy

But getting away from my little corner of the world

1) Friggin' Brooklyn in '47 WS, games 5 & 7

2) Friggin' Brooklyn in '52 WS, games 6 & 7

3) Friggin' Brooklyn in '56 WS, games 3 & 5 (a trend here?)

4) Friggin' Braves in '57 WS, games 6 & 7

5) Friggin' Giants in '62 WS, games 3, 5 & 7

I could go on...
            Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
            Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

• KHenry14
              Gigantes Moderator
              • Feb 2004

billny, two simple answers as to why I listed Buckner....

1) I've been sort of a closet Red Sox fan since the '75 series

2) As a baseball fan, I know how much winning that WS would have meant to all those Red Sox fans in New England, and combine that with my loathing of that particular Mets team and you can see why Buckner's gaffe hurt. h

KH14
              “Well, I like to say I’m completely focused, right? I mean, the game’s on the line. It’s not like I’m thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer — it tastes friggin’ awesome!"--Brian Wilson

Comment

• Captain Cold Nose
                OSHA-certified Moderator
                • Jan 2000

As someone who has followed the Pirates for a long as I can remember, two words: Sid Bream!

I actually liked the Mets at the time, and disliked the Astros, but I was disappointed that Mike Scott didn't get another chance at them in the 1986 NLCS.

I was very disappointed during the entire 1994 postseason.
                Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

• RuthMayBond
                  Out in LF (Bartman of BBF
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose
                  I was very disappointed during the entire 1994 postseason.
                  Well, it was "evenly matched", and we didn't have to see the Yanks
                  Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
                  Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

• Eddie Collins
                    • Jul 2003

Am I the only one who remembers a certain Mike Devereux(sp?) Homerun?
                    I share pictures from my collection of baseball photographs on twitter @PastimeClassics

Comment

• yellowdog
                      • Aug 2002

1. Mazeroski's HR in Game 7 in the 60' WS. I was a 9 year old, die hard Yankee fan and it took the Yankees winning it in '61 before my disappointment subsided.

2. 1991 World Series Game 7. A surprising year came to a disappointing end in an extra inning classic. At the time I wondered if I'd ever get another chance to see the Braves win a WS.

Comment

• catcher24
                        The Tools of Ignorance
                        • Feb 2004

1. 1997 WS Game #7 - I've never felt the same about Edgar Renteria since, but the real culprit is Jose Mesa (Mes ap eveythin') - come on, you're paid to get 3 stinking outs!
                        2. 1962 WS Game #7 - Huge Giants fan at the time (Mays was my favorite player). If only McCovey's long foul had stayed fair - or he hit the liner five feet in either direction!
                        3. 1986 WS Game #6 - I'm not een a big Redsox fan, but I didn't care for that Mets team.

RMB - You seem to dislike the Yankees (as they were the winners in your Brooklyn & Giants game listings). I understand that, as I personally loathe them. So I'm curious about your #4 choice - did you want the Yanks to win in '57? Milwaukee beat the Yanks in 57 - Burdette won three games. Now in '58, Milwaukee had the Yanks down three games to one, then lost the last three! Just wondering.
                        You see, you spend a good deal of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time. J. Bouton

Comment

• Chad
                          • Feb 2004

As a Cardinal fan I would have to say mine would be.

1) Game 7 1996 NLCS Vs. Braves :grouchy

2) Meltdown and complete distruction of Rick Ankiel
                          Behold My Annoyingly Long Signature

St. Louis Cardinals
                          American Association Champions
                          1885-1886-1887-1888
                          National League Champions
                          1926-1928-1930-1931-1934-1942-1943-1944-1946-1964-1967-1968-1982-1985-1987-2004-2006
                          World Champions
                          1926-1931-1934-1942-1944-1946-1964-1967-1982-2006

Comment

• Iron Jaw
                            • Feb 2004

The Cardinals blowing a 3 game to 1 lead against the Tigers in 68'.

The Orioles losing to the Mets in 69'.

The Orioles blowing a 2 game to 0 lead against the Pirates in 1971 and a 3-1 lead against them in 1979.

Lee May hitting a three run homer to avert an Oriole sweep over the Reds in the 1970 World Series. May would later be an Oriole.

The Cardinals trading Ken Boyer to the Mets, Dick Groat and Bill White to the Phillies in 1966.

But really, those are all competitive dissappointments.

The real things that dissappointed me were:

1969 - the move to divisional play.

1972 - the first strike that affected the regular season, erasing 8 games.

1973 - the American League adopting the designated hitter rule on a "three year" trial. The rule was used in the American Association in 1969 and the league/fans dubbed it as a miserable failure. Why the AL wanted it - who knows. Still a thorn in the side. The fans tend to reject it - but the MLBPA is the only entity keeping it afloat - to save some immobile fat guy who makes millions career.

1975 - the beginning of the free agent market. This destroyed the concept of building a team through the farm system and introduced an era of overpaid players.

1981 - the second strike. This one was a mess. It erased 53 regular season games.

1994 - the move to a third division in each league and four teams in each league in the playoffs. Horrible idea. Then - the strike. One that erased 49 games and the entire post season. The only saving grace: In the bastardi$ed four division setup, Texas was leading their division with a sub .500 record. The strike erased the embarrassment of a sub .500 team in the playoffs.

1995 - the continued strike erased the first 18 games of the regular season.

Other items of discontent: The move to regular season, interleague play. The bad part - the games count in the standings despite the fact that teams are not competing against one another in the standings. The "only" good thing about it - American League pitchers finally have to swing a bat when they play in NL parks.

Another item: A tie in the All Star game - and not due to a rainout. Due to the the managers running out of pitchers and too chicken to continue the game with a position player. The game used to be a contest with both leagues desiring to win. It turned into a "I'm great but don't wanna risk my millions by getting my pinky hurt" show.

Comment

• Cubbie Blue
                              Bleacher Bum
                              • Jun 2003

2 still very fresh wounds

Game 6 NLCS 2003

Game 7 NLCS 2003
                              "The last time the Cubs won a World Series was in 1908. The last time they were in one was 1945. Hey, any team can have a bad century."

-Tom Trebelhorn, former Cubs manager

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X