Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think Koufax walked them on purpose??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you think Koufax walked them on purpose??

Game 7 1965 world series

bottom 1

koufax takes care of the 1st two batters and then oliva and killebrew come
    he walks oliva and then four straight balls to killebrew.

then battey comes up and Sandy knocks him down quickly on strikes

I think he was so good that he didn't have to pitch to anyone he didn't want to, an even game seven on the line he was that in control, putting two men on base was not a worry for him.

Originally posted by evolute99
    Game 7 1965 world series

bottom 1

koufax takes care of the 1st two batters and then oliva and killebrew come
    he walks oliva and then four straight balls to killebrew.

then battey comes up and Sandy knocks him down quickly on strikes

I think he was so good that he didn't have to pitch to anyone he didn't want to, an even game seven on the line he was that in control, putting two men on base was not a worry for him.
    I doubt that he was trying to walk either of them. That was a 2-0 game, if I recall, so with Oliva up, a LH hitter, I would think he'd challenge him, a HR couldn't beat or tie him. I'm sure he wanted to pitch carefully to Killebrew, but still didn't want to put the WS winning run at the plate.

Remember he was in his 3rd start of the WS, pitching with 2 days rest. He was exhausted.
    It Might Be? It Could Be?? It Is!

Comment

Koufax has always come across as humble and respectful to me. As great as he was, I don't think he would have taken a single batter lightly.
      Who was the batter he struck out? Bob Allison?
      Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
      Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
      Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
      Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
      Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Don't know, but Koufax had trouble throwing his curve for a strike early in the game.
        Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Ooops, didn't carefully read the initial post, I thought you wrote it was bottom of 9th. My apologies. In any case, I don't think Koufax would put 2 men on. But as KC mentioned, I think I read or heard that somewhere too, that he couldn't get his curve over and from about the 4th on he threw mostly fastballs, occasionally a changeup. Still threw a shutout. Yeah, Koufax was that good.
          It Might Be? It Could Be?? It Is!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X