Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What players have worn the number "0" or "00"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What players have worn the number "0" or "00"?

Recently I joined a softball team at my workplace. (Like they really need an immobile over-50 year old who plays first base like Dick Stuart :o )

When I was asked what number I'd like on my jersey, I asked for "00". This caused some controversy until I showed the team organizer that Cliff Johnson had worn "00" (Thank you, Baseball-Almanac!!!) and Brandon Watson, an outfielder on the Nationals spring roster is wearing the same number.

This whole episode got me to wondering what players have worn 0 or 00 as their uniform numbers. IIRC, Al Oliver was the first player to wear 0 when he left the Pittsburgh Pirates for Texas after the 1977 season, something about a fresh start and a new number in Texas. In fact, when Al Oliver and Cliff Johnson were teammates in Toronto in 1985, there was both a 0 and 00 in the same roster.

Any others that have worn the 0 or 00 in major league play?
    Last edited by Aa3rt; 02-23-2006, 08:18 AM.
    "For the Washington Senators, the worst time of the year is the baseball season." Roger Kahn

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." Rogers Hornsby.

Jack Clark, Jeff Leonard
    Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
    Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

Originally posted by Aa3rt
      It would be helpful if I had my slugging average on my jersey
      Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.

Comment

Originally posted by Aa3rt
        Recently I joined a softball team at my workplace. (Like they really need an immobile over-50 year old who plays first base like Dick Stuart :o )

When I was asked what number I'd like on my jersey, I asked for "00". This caused some controversy until I showed the team organizer that Cliff Johnson had worn "00" (Thank you, Baseball-Almanac!!!) and Brandon Watson, an outfielder on the Nationals spring roster is wearing the same number.

This whole episode got me to wondering what players have worn 0 or 00 as their uniform numbers. IIRC, Al Oliver was the first player to wear 0 when he left the Pittsburgh Pirates for Texas after the 1977 season, something about a fresh start and a new number in Texas. In fact, when Al Oliver and Cliff Johnson were teammates in Toronto in 1985, there was both a 0 and 00 in the same roster.

I believe when Paul Dade was with Cleveland he wore '00'.

(don't ask me how or why I remember the forgettable Mr. Dade)
        1968 and 1984, the greatest ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Tigerfan1974
          I believe when Paul Dade was with Cleveland he wore '00'.

(don't ask me how or why I remember the forgettable Mr. Dade)
          That was his value in 1978

Comment

Oddibe McDowell was 0 with the Rangers
            Chairman Emeritus of the r/baseballHOF

Comment

Another one!

Watching a Nationals/Phillies game last Friday (18th) evening, I saw recently acquired pitcher Rick White of the Phillies sporting the number " 00 ".
              "For the Washington Senators, the worst time of the year is the baseball season." Roger Kahn

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." Rogers Hornsby.

Comment

I know it's football, but 00 always makes me think of Jim Otto, the NFL HOF center for the Oakland Raiders in the 60's through early 70's. Talk about a guy who looks like he's been put through a meat grinder....
                It Might Be? It Could Be?? It Is!

Comment

half an answer:
                  vanity: benito santiago once wore "09" so that his number would not be obscured by the chest protector strap.
                  "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

First 0 was Al Oliver with TEX in 1978 and later with MON, SF, LA, TOR

Oscar Gamble wore 0 with CWS in 1985, so did Mark Ryal

Oddibe McDowell with TEX 1985-88 and later with CLE and ATL but not in 1994 with TEX

Junior Ortiz 1989-94

Terry McDaniel in 1991

Rey Ordonez beginning in 1996 for two years

Franklin Stubbs with MIL in 1992

WAS coach George Uhle wore 00 during spring training only in 1944

Bobo Newsom was the first to wear 00 in 1946-47

Joe Page in 1954

Paul Dade in 1977

Bobby Bonds in 1980

Cliff Johnson TOR 1985-86

Don Baylor in 1988

Jerry Hairston

Jack Clark with SD in 1990

Rudy Seanez and Jim Poole in 1991

Omar Olivares in 1993

Jeffery Leonard 1987-90

Brandon Watson in 2005

Rick White in 2005
                    Last edited by Brian McKenna; 08-20-2006, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Thank you!

bkmckenna-many thanks for that most comprehensive list! Great to know that there was a SENATORS connection with George Uhle and Bobo Newsome.

Comment

The horrific CF for the Nationals Brandon Watson, then claimed by the Reds off waivers.
                        Cristobal

Comment

Originally posted by wilkerson_rulz-06
                          The horrific CF for the Nationals Brandon Watson, then claimed by the Reds off waivers.
                          Who was already mentioned in posts # 1 & 10...

Comment

Originally posted by west coast orange and black
                            half an answer:
                            vanity: benito santiago once wore "09" so that his number would not be obscured by the chest protector strap.
                            I read in Baseball Weekly (I think) that Santiago said he wore 09 for balance. It didn't specify what needed to be balanced.

Comment

Originally posted by wamby
                              I read in Baseball Weekly (I think) that Santiago said he wore 09 for balance. It didn't specify what needed to be balanced.
                              IIRC he didn't like the strap going down the middle of the number or something to that effect. It was some sort of comfort issue.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X