Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One of our members has passed away

My brothers,

It is with sad heart that I come to you with this sad news. I just received word that our member, WJackman, who was an authority on Rick Ferrell, has died yesterday. He was SABR member Dick Thompson.

Here is the email I received.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Thu, 03 Jan 2008 04:59:55 PM PST
    From: "Jon Daly" <[email protected]> Add to Address Book Block Sender Allow Sender

To: "Bill Burgess" <[email protected]>
    Subject: WJackman Allow Subject
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    WJackman was a poster over at Baseball Fever. It is with regret that
    I pass on the news that he was baseball researcher Dick Thompson who
    passed away yesterday. I don't know who is the main man there, but I
    see that you are a moderator there and wanted to pass the sad news on.
    ---------------
    Jon Daly
    Last edited by Bill Burgess; 09-13-2009, 12:04 AM.

Dang, we were just chatting a couple weeks ago
    May his family and friends remember the good times they had with him
    Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
    Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

Sad, sad news, here's a little info about him..

SABR member Dick Thompson is a registered nurse for the Department of Veterans Affairs. In 2004, he received SABR’s highest honor, the Bob Davids Award, which recognized his outstanding research achievements and service to the society. He lives in Bridgewater, Massachusetts.
      Originally posted by Domenic
      The Yankees should see if Yogi Berra can still get behind the plate - he has ten World Series rings... he must be worth forty or fifty million a season.

Comment

Wow, that's awful...... I just saw him post four days ago. Sincere condolences to his family, god bless........

Comment

Dick used to be Wheezeball on Grandstand Trivia years ago and was always willing to chat and be helpful with his vast knowledge of all things baseball. He wrote about many baseball subjects and had numerous articles in the SABR Journals.

Comment

Very sad news. My prayers, condolences, and thoughts go out to his family.
            Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Can't say I often agreed with the man, but he was always nice enough to answer questions anyway. Rest easy Dick.

Comment

He presented some good stuff here at Fever - thoughtful and well-researched. I was hoping to see some more of his Jackman posts - I know he had an extensive project in the works there. Jackman is really an unknown figure and could use a boost. Someone with the zeal should contact his family and see if they could continue his work.

Comment

High fences , high mounds and green grass

God bless you RIP and dream of tight games

Comment

He was a poster I wished would have posted more here. What he knew about his favorite subjects was never short of enlightening.

He will be missed.
                    Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                    Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

R.i.p.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
                        He was a poster I wished would have posted more here. What he knew about his favorite subjects was never short of enlightening.

He will be missed.
                        My sentiments exactly.

I actually just looked up the last post I made in a discussion with him because I recalled that I was in disagreement with him, and thought, unfortunately, I may have been a bit harsh. Ironically, I think it was the only even semi-combative exchange (though it really wasn't intended as such) I had ever had with him.

Rest in peace, Dick.
                        THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT COME WITH A SCORECARD

In the avy: AZ - Doe or Die

Comment

Dick Thompson from MA would always respond to my research needs if he could. Not everyone took the time and trouble to help a fellow researcher out.

Hopefully his New England minor league research will be passed on to someone who will continue it in his legacy.
                          "He's tougher than a railroad sandwich."
                          "You'se Got The Eye Of An Eagle."

Comment

This is just terrible

Comment

I met him at some regional SABR meetings. I knew that he hung out here, so I passed the word on to Bill. He (Dick) is one of the folks who turned me on to baseball history. In an edition of The National Pastime, he mentioned the curious case of Tacks Latimer which led me towards looking up the rest of the story and writing a minibio on the guy.
                              Last edited by Ennui Willie Keeler; 01-04-2008, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X