Homeruns before age 35

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homeruns before age 35

I long remembered Jimmie Foxx as the leader in career homeruns before age 35. His 527 Hr put him slightly ahead of Babe Ruth (516), Hank Aaron (510), Willie Mays (505) and Mickey Mantle (496). A strong list of contenders, but I see that list is now headed by Sammy Sosa with 539 before age 35.

The Barry Bonds record is truly AMAZING. His 445 homeruns before age 35 was not in the top ten, but now at age 41 he is poised to become the #2 homerun hitter of all time!
    Last edited by Appling; 02-25-2006, 03:57 PM.
    Luke

Foxx was brought up at age 17.... but became a regular at age 21 ......so with reason he has that many homeruns.
    "I was pitching one day when my glasses clouded up on me. I took them off to polish them. When I looked up to the plate, I saw Jimmie Foxx. The sight of him terrified me so much that I haven't been able to wear glasses since." - Left Gomez

"(Lou) Gehrig never learned that a ballplayer couldn't be good every day." - Hank Gowdy

Comment

Originally posted by Appling
      I long remembered Jimmie Foxx as the leader in career homeruns before age 35. His 527 Hr put him slightly ahead of Babe Ruth (516), Hank Aaron (510), Willie Mays (505) and Mickey Mantle (496). A strong list of contenders, but I see that list is now headed by Sammy Sosa with 539 before age 35.
      By age 35 A-Rod will probably have about 625 HRs. Fox was the youngest to reach 500 at age 32 and a few months. A-Rod with 429 at age 30 will break that record also.

Here are the HR leaders through age 30

1. Ken Griffey 438 7319
      2. Jimmie Foxx 429 7290
      Alex Rodriguez 429 7100
      4. Mickey Mantle 404 7201
      5. Eddie Mathews 399 7125
      6. Frank Robinson 373 7089
      7. Mel Ott 369 7802
      8. Hank Aaron 366 7216
      9. Juan Gonzalez 362 5779
      10. Harmon Killebrew 336 5200
      Sammy Sosa 336 5808
      Last edited by Honus Wagner Rules; 02-25-2006, 12:17 PM.
      Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

isnt a-rod #1 all time in home runs before turning age 30?

Comment

Originally posted by blackout805
          isnt a-rod #1 all time in home runs before turning age 30?
          No, Griffey is. People forget that through age 30 it seemed all but a forgone conclusion that Griffey would break Aaron's HR record. Then the injuries came... Also, A-Rod doesn't turn 31 until July so he'll pass Griffey before then.
          Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

A-rod can definetely break Aarons record

or god-forbid Barroid Bonds*'s record

Comment

Originally posted by Myankee4life
              Foxx was brought up at age 17.... but became a regular at age 21 ......so with reason he has that many homeruns.
              yes Foxx came up at age 17, but he had only 41 AB (and NO HOMERUNS) in his first two MLB seasons. He had only 3 homeruns before age 20.
              Luke

Comment

You know we often think of hitters that came after Ruth, that they were chasing him and that was proper thinking. In a crazy little way, it's almost like he was chasing the guys that ended up near the top of the list, even though he came before most of them, Foxx who spent some yeas in Ruth's time, Mays, Aaron after his time.

My crazy way of looking at it, that although he came before these guys he was behind them in career home runs when they were all under 30 years of age. If you go back to those with the most home runs at the age of 25 Ruth was no where to be seen, only 103 home runs at that age, many ahead of him. He had lots of ground to make up from the age of 25, his career was already one quarter over, some how he made great gains after that age.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X