Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PRW
    replied
    Wagner wouldn't have hit 700 home runs. Maybe 500.

Leave a comment:

• JR Hart
    replied

Here's an odd combination Hornsby, Vice President Nixon, and George Mikan
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Honus Wagner Rules
    replied
    Originally posted by JR Hart View Post
    Honus was an amazing athlete. He wasn't graceful looking , but he was a stud. He could have easliy played pro football, had he been young in the 1920s. The Pirates tried playing football to stay in shape in the off season, and pre season and had to quit, because Honus was hurting everyone. He could punt a football through the stratosphere. Wagner probably could have been a decathalete. No one was lining up to box him either.

He was clearly a better all around player than Hornsby. Does Hornsby's great hitting put him over Honus?? No but it's close.
    Some of my favorite stories about Honus are the stories about he would play in games in the 1930's, either in exhibition games or spring training training games.

Leave a comment:

• Honus Wagner Rules
    replied

I forgot about Honus' basketball team. I have his bio, which I've read a few times.
    Wagner balling back in t he day.

image_151904.jpgimage_151905.jpgimage_151906.jpg

Leave a comment:

• 1905 Giants
    replied
    Originally posted by morpheus1776 View Post
    Wagner may not have been the hitter that Hornsby was, but I would rather have Wagner in the field, on the base paths, and in the dugout.
    Absolutely Agree,

Leave a comment:

• JR Hart
    replied
    Originally posted by SavoyBG View Post

Wagner played a lot of basketball in the off season He had a team that went around playing against local colleges and stuff.
    I forgot about Honus' basketball team. I have his bio, which I've read a few times.

Leave a comment:

• SavoyBG
    replied
    Honus was an amazing athlete.
    Wagner played a lot of basketball in the off season He had a team that went around playing against local colleges and stuff.

Leave a comment:

• SavoyBG
    replied
    Originally posted by Floyd Gondolli View Post
    Hornsby couldn't have been the hitter Wagner had he played his prime in a park (Exposition III) where ONE home run was hit over the fence in 9 seasons. He needed walks and home runs to become the legend we know as Rogers Hornsby.
    Hornsby is not a legend because of walks or home runs. He's a legend because of REAL HIGH batting averages.

Leave a comment:

• JR Hart
    replied
    Honus was an amazing athlete. He wasn't graceful looking , but he was a stud. He could have easliy played pro football, had he been young in the 1920s. The Pirates tried playing football to stay in shape in the off season, and pre season and had to quit, because Honus was hurting everyone. He could punt a football through the stratosphere. Wagner probably could have been a decathalete. No one was lining up to box him either.

He was clearly a better all around player than Hornsby. Does Hornsby's great hitting put him over Honus?? No but it's close.

Leave a comment:

• Sultan_1895-1948
    replied
    Originally posted by willshad View Post
    For all the talk of 'Wagner would have hit 700 home runs in the live ball', the fact remains that he never proved he could hit in that era. Hornsby, however, showed even as a young developing player that he could hit at Wagner's level in the dead ball. I don't feel they are all that close at hitters..kind of like Cobb compared to Ruth. I would take Hornsby for one season, two seasons, all the way up to seven or eight seasons..but there is no doubt that Wagner had the better career. it really becomes a peak vs longevity argument.
    Who said he'd hit 700 home runs? Only two guy did it legit in history. Could Wagner have been the third? Would have depended on his home park imo. He had plenty of power but the pitching was much different later on. They adjusted, used relievers more, he would have walked a ton. A lot of speculation and assumption goes into a 600 HR career let alone a 700 HR one.

Leave a comment:

• morpheus1776
    replied
    Wagner may not have been the hitter that Hornsby was, but I would rather have Wagner in the field, on the base paths, and in the dugout.

Leave a comment:

• willshad
    replied
    For all the talk of 'Wagner would have hit 700 home runs in the live ball', the fact remains that he never proved he could hit in that era. Hornsby, however, showed even as a young developing player that he could hit at Wagner's level in the dead ball. I don't feel they are all that close at hitters..kind of like Cobb compared to Ruth. I would take Hornsby for one season, two seasons, all the way up to seven or eight seasons..but there is no doubt that Wagner had the better career. it really becomes a peak vs longevity argument.

Leave a comment:

• Floyd Gondolli
    replied
    Hornsby couldn't have been the hitter Wagner had he played his prime in a park (Exposition III) where ONE home run was hit over the fence in 9 seasons. He needed walks and home runs to become the legend we know as Rogers Hornsby.

Leave a comment:

• Floyd Gondolli
    replied
    Screenshot_20171230-021503.png

Leave a comment:

• Floyd Gondolli
    replied
    Screenshot_20171230-020645.pngScreenshot_20171230-020633.pngScreenshot_20171230-020645.pngScreenshot_20171230-020633.png

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X