• Show
Clear All

• Greatest World Series Performance by a player?-

Bob Gibson, in 1967 vs the Red Sox . He dominated! Check his numbers

IP 27, SO 26, Hits 14, Earned Runs 3 ,Wins 3, losses 0. ERA 1.00

Add to that:

3 complete game victories

1 complete game shut out a 5 hitter

2 complete game victories- allowed 1 run (a home run off opposing pitcher)

struck out 10 batters in two games; Game one & Game seven

In game seven, hit a home run.

I challenge anyone to come up with a more impressive performance in World Series history.

Bob Gibson so dominated the Red Sox in that series, that there should be a plaque in Fenway Park so claiming his performance. Beating that guy, in that series, was the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM-

Curt Schilling 2001 might give him a run for his money, at least to the point of running a good second.

2 walks and 26 strikeouts in 21.6 innings, 0.66 WHIP, no complete games but utter dominance of one of history's better lineups.

And who can forget Lew Burdette for the Milwaukee Braves way back in 1957? I don't have exact numbers but IIRC for that one series he did only allow 1 run in 3 starts against Mickey Mantle's Yankees including a shutout on 2 day's rest in game 7. The Sox had a decent lineup but they weren't Mantle's Yankees.

3 complete games, 2 of them shutouts including a shutout of game 7 on 2 days rest.

13 strikeouts, 4 walks in 27 innings, so the peripherals aren't as hawt as Gibson, but he did get 3 of Milwaukee's 4 wins. And he didn't hit anything of course, but if Gibson is #1, Burdette in '57 is probably #2. But it *was* a better lineup that Berdette was dominating. The 67 Sox were basically Yaz And Everyone Else.
    Last edited by Imgran; 02-22-2008, 08:43 AM.

Comment

Um, Christy Mathewson? :noidea:disbelief:
      Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
      Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

Originally posted by RuthMayBond View Post
        *looks it up*

Oh wow...

Comment

Babe Adams '08 is pretty awesome, too.
          And Lolich '68...
          "I throw him four wide ones, then try to pick him off first base." - Preacher Roe on pitching to Musial

Comment

Mathewson in '05 is the tops - probably by far.

Also mention some position players:
            Brooks in 1970
            Clemente in '71
            Reggie whenever he didn't swing and miss.

and Mariano Rivera gets a nod.

This is not a current events topic.

Comment

Originally posted by RuthMayBond View Post
              Hard to beat. Three shutouts in 6 days.
              One walk, 14 hits, 27 innings. All against the best all around hitting team in the AL.

Comment

I like Bonds' 2002 World Series: .471/.700/1.294, with 4 Home Runs. It's pretty much the most dominant hitting performance I have ever seen.

For pitching Gibson or Matty really.
                "It's good to be young and a Giant." - Larry Doyle

Comment

There are 2 distinct groups, pitchers/hitters.

Pitchers:
                  1905 - Mathewson
                  1912 - Joe Wood
                  1963 - Sandy Koufax
                  1968 - Bob Gibson

Hitters:
                  Ruth
                  1927 6x15=.400
                  1928 10x16=.625

Gehrig
                  1928 6x11=.545
                  1932 9x17=.529

Pepper Martin
                  1931 12 x 24=.500

Frankie Frisch
                  1922 8x17=.471

Roberto Clemente
                  1971 12x29=.414

Tony Gwynn
                  1998 8x16=.500

Heinie Groh
                  1922 9x19=.474

Carl Yastrzemski
                  1967 10x25=.400

Comment

I'm confused as to why Joe Wood's 1912 WS was so great, especially compared to Mathewson or Koufax..
                    Originally posted by Domenic
                    The Yankees should see if Yogi Berra can still get behind the plate - he has ten World Series rings... he must be worth forty or fifty million a season.

Comment

a closer look at the greatest world series performance

With my comments:

Pitchers:
                      1905 - Mathewson----------------------yes he was great but 3 things one, he only struck out 18 while gibson struck out 26,two, he pitched in the dead ball era and three,he did not sock a home run in the series.

1912 - Joe Wood-he lost a game and he had a 4.50 Era

1963 - Sandy Koufax- he won 2 games BUT Man wwas he dominant had he won three in that fashion I'd say he was the best; only thing his hits given up were 12 in 18 inninings while Gibby's was 14 in 27. Here is one Koufax did that was absolutely sensational. He beat Whitney Ford 2 times in one World Series & he struck out the side 3 times in 2 games.

1967 - Bob Gibson dominated the Red Sox they never had a chance. Check the numbers! 27 Three complete game victories 1 shut out 1 game he gave up 1 run ( by the opposing pitcher. In game 7 to complete his dominance he holds them to 2 runs while smacking a 2 run homer in the 5th inning off Boston's ace pitcher to give his team a 4-0 lead.
                      1968 - Bob Gibson- until that fateful fly ball to Curt Flood with 2 outs in the top of the 7th of game 7.

Hitters:
                      Ruth
                      1927 6x15=.400
                      1928 10x16=.625

Gehrig
                      1928 6x11=.545 4 hrs and 9 rbi in 4 games is pretty awesome
                      1932 9x17=.529

Pepper Martin
                      1931 12 x 24=.500

Frankie Frisch
                      1922 8x17=.471

Roberto Clemente
                      1971 12x29=.414

Tony Gwynn
                      1998 8x16=.500

Heinie Groh
                      1922 9x19=.474

Carl Yastrzemski
                      1967 10x25=.400- hit 3 for 11 with 1 double no rbi against gibson in that series - not so impressive

Reggie " Mr October
                      1977 9x20 5 hrs 8 rbi's 4 hrs in a row - hello ++ scored 10 runs
                      Bonds
                      2002 8x17 4 hrs 6 rbi .700 obp

No matter how you slice it the Gibster was unbelievable.

Comment

Thanks, spindoc. Those were excellent, incisive comments. Appreciate it!

Comment

Greatest World Series Performance by a player?
                          I can answer that question with 1 word: Christy Mathewson.
                          I guess, technically, that may be two words.

Comment

Originally posted by spindoc View Post
                            With my comments:

Pitchers:
                            1905 - Mathewson----------------------yes he was great but 3 things one, he only struck out 18 while gibson struck out 26,two, he pitched in the dead ball era and three,he did not sock a home run in the series.

Certainly not going to put Gibson down, a real stopper one of the best.
                            Yes Matty did not strike out as many but in 1905 the name of the game was make contact, don't strikeout, 1967 a different game lots of free swingers.
                            Can't use the strikeouts, completely different game 1905 and 1967.

I don't see where the home run matters that much when comparing these two greats. You did say it was the dead ball era, even position players did not hit many home runs in regular season play in 1905.

In 1905 the NL leader had 9 home runs.
                            Pitcher in the NL that year, one pitcher hit 2 home runs and 4 other pitchers hit 1 home run. The pitcher with the most in 1905 with 2 home runs was Mathewson.

Strikeouts and that 1 home run by Gibby, not enough to overcome 3 shutouts in 6 days.
                            Last edited by Bill Burgess; 02-22-2008, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Agreed. If you're going to try and use "Dead ball era" against Christy (which doesn't really mean anything anyway) than why try and compare raw stats when you know the game was different in that time?

Mathewson easily has the best World Series performance by a pitcher, and probably by any player.
                              Originally posted by Domenic
                              The Yankees should see if Yogi Berra can still get behind the plate - he has ten World Series rings... he must be worth forty or fifty million a season.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X