Who did you BANK on that turned out to be a BUST

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who did you BANK on that turned out to be a BUST

Who did you guys swear was going to be a great player but turned out to not have such a hot career? -- exclude the injured players since you couldn't foresee that - whose talent fizzled in the majors?

I remember being very high on Roberto Kelly. He seemed to be breaking out to a leading role after those 4 years in NY- next thing I knew he was being passed around the league and turned out to be nothing special.

I see he actually batted .290 over his career but I sure figured more that 585 RBI.

Ron Gant turned out to be a very good player but just seeing his picture as a young guy, he looked so much like Hank Aaron, I guess I was expecting a little more.

Comment

I know you said no injuries, but Justin Thompson...lefty for the Tigers. Also Gabe Kapler tore up the minors and we thought he was going to be a stud. I mention this because they were traded for Juan Gonzalez which was a scary trade. What is funny is none of the 3 did much for the teams they moved to, but two others in the deal Frank Catalonato and Francisco Cordero ended up being pretty good.

also, I will stand by this forever, Kirk Gibson. I know he had a great career and I know he won an MVP and played great in the playoffs, but with his size, speed, and power I thought he would be so much more. I also thought that he could figure out how to play outfield at some point.

also Juan Encarnacion was supposed to be the Tigers' answer to Vlad Guerrero!! haha
      "Batting stats and pitching stats do not indicate the quality of play, merely which part of that struggle is dominant at the moment."

-Bill James

Comment

I thought that Leon Durham, Mel Hall, and Shawon Dunston were all going to be incredible.
        Rick Monday seemed like he was going to be a superstar...tall, handsome, well built guy, had a nice looking swing and seemed to have baseball smarts.
        I think that Phil Plantier claimed that injuries felled him, but I wonder.
        John Valentin and Mike Greenwell both seemed to fade pretty early after a few really nice seasons.
        Pete Incaviglia, Oddibe McDowell, and Ruben Sierra all had a lot of promise that was never really fulfilled.
        Did injuries ruin Kal Daniels? He was really something with the bat for about 2 years.
        "I throw him four wide ones, then try to pick him off first base." - Preacher Roe on pitching to Musial

Comment

Originally posted by hellborn View Post
          I thought that Leon Durham, Mel Hall, and Shawon Dunston were all going to be incredible.
          Rick Monday seemed like he was going to be a superstar...tall, handsome, well built guy, had a nice looking swing and seemed to have baseball smarts.
          I think that Phil Plantier claimed that injuries felled him, but I wonder.
          John Valentin and Mike Greenwell both seemed to fade pretty early after a few really nice seasons.
          Pete Incaviglia, Oddibe McDowell, and Ruben Sierra all had a lot of promise that was never really fulfilled.
          Did injuries ruin Kal Daniels? He was really something with the bat for about 2 years.
          you made me think of another....Ben Grieve.....sweet swing, rookie of the year.....and fell off the map
          "Batting stats and pitching stats do not indicate the quality of play, merely which part of that struggle is dominant at the moment."

-Bill James

Comment

Walt Weiss, Pete Incaviglia, every Japanese pitcher who the Yankees have signed over the past 5 years.

Comment

Not sure if they qualify, but I sure thought Dwight Gooden and Darryl Strawberry's careers would have turned out better...

I also thought Gregg Jefferies' and Dave Magaden's careers would have turned out better..
              "There are three things in my life which I really love: God, my family, and baseball. The only problem - once baseball season starts, I change the order around a bit.
              ~~Al Gallagher

God Bless America!

Click here to see my baseball tribute site!

Click here to see the best pitcher NOT in the HOF!

sigpic

Comment

I forgot to mention Jack McDowell - or did he have injuries, I don't remember.

Comment

Jeff Weaver....when he was traded from the Tigers I thought the sky was falling

until last season I would say Carlos Pena

what about Eric Munson??

Matt Anderson...who had injuries, but by that time he was pretty much already a bust since he had no control and could throw nothing but 102mph fastballs

-Bill James

Comment

How about Carlos Baerga - what happened to him?

Comment

Originally posted by Baseball Guru View Post
                      Not sure if they qualify, but I sure thought Dwight Gooden and Darryl Strawberry's careers would have turned out better...

I also thought Gregg Jefferies' and Dave Magaden's careers would have turned out better..
                      Greg Jefferies is a good one...was supposed to be the next Pete Rose

haha, for that matter Pete Rose Jr. but nobody really thought he was going to be great...you would just assume he would be good

-Bill James

Comment

After his 1979 and 1980 seasons, Steve Kemp looked like the real deal. What happened?? he was a big, strapping guy with a powerful stroke but wasn't much afield. He made the AS team in 1979 when he hit .318, had 26 HRs and 105 RBIs. He tailed off a tad in 1980 but still had a stellar year. Suddenly.... boom. Not sure if he was injured but it doesn't appear so. At least, I can find no reference to an injury, just a sharp decline in talent. Being traded to the Yankees, he seemed to buckle under fierce scrutiny from the notorious NY press and couldn't handle the pressure. He played sparingly for a few years then was gone. For a while, he looked like a real comer.
                        Always go to other people's funerals, otherwise they won't come to yours. - Yogi Berra

Comment

Drew Henson...and as a Michigan fan I would like to thank George Steinbrenner for ruining our 1999-2001 seasons

-Bill James

Comment

Originally posted by sturg1dj View Post
                            Drew Henson...and as a Michigan fan I would like to thank George Steinbrenner for ruining our 1999-2001 seasons
                            As a Ohio State Buckeyes fan. id like to thank both George and Drew

Comment

Originally posted by sturg1dj View Post
                              Greg Jefferies is a good one...was supposed to be the next Pete Rose

haha, for that matter Pete Rose Jr. but nobody really thought he was going to be great...you would just assume he would be good
                              The Mets kept playing Jefferies in the minors when he was clearly ready for the majors...wasn't he minor league player of the year for two years straight? Can't remember if they made him play two full years at AAA...anyway, he might have been able to make bigger strides if they had bumped him up earlier and let him learn against the big boys.
                              I was surprised that Ron Kittle plummeted so badly with the ChiSox, but learned about old rookies after that. Wouldn't surprise me now.
                              Remember Tuffy Rhodes?
                              "I throw him four wide ones, then try to pick him off first base." - Preacher Roe on pitching to Musial

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X