Using SABR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using SABR

i regularly use proquest and heritage through sabr and of course read their publications but i've never used any other of their services - what do you guys pull from there? do you use the web site much?

Does anyone use this web site?

I personally have a hard time with it. I love the Biography Project but I can't seem to get to it from the site - I go to Google to do so.

The forum is inactive and the encyclopedia doesn't seem to offer much.

I'll use the directory to contact baseball researchers; that's very helpful.

Is there any good info I'm not noticing?

Comment

I am thinking of joining SABR. I recently asked Bill Burgress about SABR and he recommended that I join.
      Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

I find that SABR-L, the research list site, is one of the benefits of SABR that I use most often. You can have the daily summary sent to you or you can get each note as it is posted.

Comment

Originally posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
          I am thinking of joining SABR. I recently asked Bill Burgress about SABR and he recommended that I join.
          SABR is definitely worth joining. They are doing a great job with their pulications, Bio Project and other endeavors. I'm only referringto the web site.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hoban View Post
            I find that SABR-L, the research list site, is one of the benefits of SABR that I use most often. You can have the daily summary sent to you or you can get each note as it is posted.
            I don't get SABR-L. Everything seems out of date. It's not easy to puruse. I can't find the list of topics, nor can I find any recent posts.

Comment

I thought that SABR was disconnected from ProQuest? I can get access to ProQuest through my library but I don't see a link to get it via SABR anymore.

The page with all the research tools has some good links. I noticed that a few of them are old and don't work. I agree with you that some of the tools that they have are not the greatest - e.g. SABR-L and the Encyclopedia.

One of the best tools is the Baseball Index. I have used the Baseball Index several times and I think that is a very good resource to find all of the documents that are out there on any given player. If you are doing any research, that's a good place to start.
              "Batting slumps? I never had one. When a guy hits .358, he doesn't have slumps."

Rogers Hornsby, 1961

Comment

SABR lost ProQuest at the end of 2006. It's was a shortsighted policy change at ProQuest and unfortuantely there was nothing SABR could do.

Comment

I was all set to join SABR at the end of 2006 but when I read they were losing ProQuest and access to the Clipper I changed my mind. One thing I do use at the website is their online copies of Sporting Life. They have, iirc, the issues from 1899 and 1900 online.

Also, the 19th century egroup is a great source of information. It's only open to SABR members but, if you ask really nicely, they'll let you join for a few months.
                  Last edited by hubkittel; 01-23-2008, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X