No announcement yet.

Favorite home run ever hit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

April 24, 2007, Mets v. Rockies at Shea Stadium. With the Mets down to their final strike in the bottom of the 10th inning, Damian Easley hits a walk-off pinch-hit home run to tie the game, which the Mets would win in the 12th inning.

It's my favorite home run because I caught the ball.
    If you've been wanting to send someone a thumbs-down, opportunity knocks! I'm now on Cameo, and I'm ready to send a personalized thumbs-down to anyone you want!

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
      It's my favorite home run because I caught the ball.
      Come to think of it, I've got three of those I could include
      Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
      Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

Tony Fernandez's pennant-winning 1997 home run (IIRC, last time the Orioles were in the playoffs)

Tony Pena, Game 1 of the 1995 ALDS- Winning Homer in the 14th inning in Cleveland's first playoff game since 1954

Hafner's record-tying grand slam against the Royals in 2006

Sandy Alomar- game 4 of the 1997 ALDS against the Yankees- that was the last playoff series NYY lost until Game 7 of the 2001 World Series
        "It's time to play America's favorite game- Name That Molina."

Comment

Originally posted by HomeRunHomer View Post
          Tony Fernandez's pennant-winning 1997 home run (IIRC, last time the Orioles were in the playoffs)

Tony Pena, Game 1 of the 1995 ALDS- Winning Homer in the 14th inning in Cleveland's first playoff game since 1954

Hafner's record-tying grand slam against the Royals in 2006

Sandy Alomar- game 4 of the 1997 ALDS against the Yankees- that was the last playoff series NYY lost until Game 7 of the 2001 World Series
          I like the theme (plus EdTarbusz's) :gt
          Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
          Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

Originally posted by HomeRunHomer View Post
            I had forgotten about watching this one. I always associate that game with Charles Nagy.

Comment

My .02

There have been so many...but my personal fave was Lenny Dystra's 2 run job to beat the Astros in 86 Playoffs. 9Th Inning and capped a Met Come Back.

Comment

I have to go with Joe Carter hitting a World Series/Game Winning three run home run in the 1993 World Series. I used to live in Canada and I was in Canada in 1993, so it was something special.

Bobby Thompson game winning home run in 1951 to win the N.L Pennant, as you guys probably know it's the shot heard around the World.

Comment

Originally posted by George H Ruth View Post
                  Bobby Thompson game winning home run in 1951 to win the N.L Pennant, as you guys probably know it's the shot heard around the World.
                  I was just listening to that game the other day. Hurrah, Internet Archive!
                  sigpic

Comment

Kerry Wood's HR in Game 7 of the 2003 NLCS.

After the "Bartman" incident in Game 6, there was a brief moment of hope when Wood hit that HR in Game 7....unfortunately it didn't last.
                    sigpic

Comment

Mine involved Kirk Gibson -- but, no, it wasn't that home run, or even his lesser-known World Series shot in '84 against Goose "He don't wanna walk you" Gossage.

No, my favorite homer came in 1981 against the Orioles. You probably never even heard of this one. It was late in the second half of that strike season, and the young Tigers were fighting the Brewers for the second-half division title in the AL East (which they eventually lost).

The Tigers got behind early in this game, and then there was a rain delay that lasted several hours. Very few fans were on hand when play finally resumed.

Well, the Tigers mounted a huge comeback in the 9th inning. And who should come to the plate with 2 outs and representing the tying run? Yep. Gibby. Tippy Martinez was the pitcher.

BOOM!! The ball would have gone completely out of Tiger Stadium if it had been 10 feet higher; as it was the ball slammed against the facing of the 3rd deck with a resounding crash that echoed throughout the empty ballpark. I have never seen a ball hit so hard; an image that will forever be in my mind's eye was the Oriole outfielder (Al Bumbry?), who didn't move one inch. He never even looked back; the instant the ball came off Gibby's bat, it was a no-doubter.

Strangers were literally hugging each other in the aisles. It was as if this were our own private party, and our diehard patience had paid off.

The punchline: That homer merely tied the game. The Tigers eventually lost in extra innings. Still, it was my favorite homer of all time.
                      Last edited by Victory Faust; 03-28-2008, 06:50 PM.
                      "Hey Mr. McGraw! Can I pitch to-day?"

Comment

Favorites:
                        Len Dykstra 1986 LCS Game 3, 1986 World Series Game 3
                        Scott Podsednik, 2005 WS Game 2

Most Painful:
                        Tito Landrum, 1983 LCS Game 4
                        Yadier Molina, 2006 LCS Game 7

Comment

Originally posted by MattD1972 View Post
                          Most Painful:
                          Tito Landrum, 1983 LCS Game 4
                          Yadier Molina, 2006 LCS Game 7
                          Actually, Matt, the "Most Painful" homerun theme would be a great post on it's own.

Since you threw it in, I'll give you the honors of opening it up.:cap:

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
                            Dodgerfan, yeah, I remember Gibson's blast off of Gossage in the 1984 WS quite well. The next morning's paper is probably the most vivid front page sports stoory in Detroit history.
                            There's one in every crowd.....
                            Always go to other people's funerals, otherwise they won't come to yours. - Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by BeatEmBucs View Post
                              Bill Mazeroski, 9th inning, Game 7 of the 1960 World Series. Enough Said.

That might be the best homer ever no doubt.

My favorite is Willie Stargell's game winning home run in game 7 of the 1979 World series.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyK View Post
                                Carlton Fisk's home run in Game 6 of the '75 World Series is a hard one to top.
                                Thats certainly my number 1.
                                Chris Chambliss in the 1976 playoffs is right up there too.
                                http://soundbounder.blogspot.com/

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X