Barry's Great World Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barry's Great World Series

Bonds batted 30 times as his Giants battled the Angels in a memorable seven game set. Barry had 8 hits, including 4 home runs and 13 walks. He hit .471 with a .700 OBA.

http://major-league-baseball.suite10...t_world_series
    Baseball articles you might not like but should read.

Rest in Peace Jose Fernandez (1992-2016)

Comment

.471 ba
      .700 obp
      1.294 slg

8-fer-17. 4 of his 8 hits went yard.

bonds did not see many pitches to hit. but when he did...
      amazing performance.
      "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

He had the ability to make contact as efficiently as any one who ever swung with power and didn't just try to make contact.
        Baseball articles you might not like but should read.

Comment

Originally posted by Francoeurstein View Post

Did i miss something? :noidea

Comment

Originally posted by LouGehrig View Post
            Bonds batted 30 times as his Giants battled the Angels in a memorable seven game set. Barry had 8 hits, including 4 home runs and 13 walks. He hit .471 with a .700 OBA.

http://major-league-baseball.suite10...t_world_series
            And last night the tooth fairy flew through my house and hung from the ceiling fan.....

Really, who gives a rats arse about bogus numbers from a steroid abuser who should have been in a serious decline?
            Last edited by west coast orange and black; 03-29-2008, 08:52 PM. Reason: naughty language

Comment

frehleyscomet: Did i miss something?

mr. francoeurstein / jefffrancoeur7 put up an asterisk.
              "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Comment

Originally posted by west coast orange and black
                sultan: And last night the tooth fairy flew through my house and hung from the ceiling fan...

you are trying to make claim that the 2002 world series did not occur... but it did.
                I wonder how many players on the Angels were on PEDs as well? The end of game 1 was very special for me. After the Giants won game 1, I sat there on the floor and just realized I just watched the Giants win a World Series game for the first time in my LIFETIME. I almost cried.
                Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

wags: I wonder how many players on the Angels were on PEDs as well?

plenty. 19, minumum.

Comment

Barry did have the greatest season of anyone at 37...but I think that the argument that he must have cheated because the average player has a sharp decline at that age is wrong since many of the greats had fine seasons at the age of 37.

Babe Ruth
                    .341 41 137 201 OPS+ (207 career)

Hank Aaron
                    .327 47 118 194 (155 Career)

Tris Speaker
                    .389 12 87 166 (158)

Paul Molitor
                    .341 14 75 138 (122)

Carlton Fisk
                    .238 37 107 (both career highs)

Mike Schmidt
                    .295 35 113 142 (147)

Edgar Martinez
                    .324 37 145 157 (147)

Tony Gwynn
                    .372 17 119 156 (132)

Moises Alou
                    .293 39 106 131 (128)

Ted Williams
                    .345 24 82 172 (and had a 233 the next season)

Eddie Collins
                    .349 6 86 134 (141)

so stop saying that Bonds should have been declining, there is precedence of players having big seasons nearing 40. Bonds had the best...but so what, its not like its unheard of.
                    "Batting stats and pitching stats do not indicate the quality of play, merely which part of that struggle is dominant at the moment."

-Bill James

Comment

I am always torn on Bonds. On the one hand, he obviously abused steroids. But on the other, many did, and I don't like that he is set up as the only one that did it by many.

I truly believe he will be underrated in future years, because people will just discount everything he did due to 'roids. Historically, I think he has to be top five, among position players, even with a PED discount. Bill James (not that everything he says is gospel) had Bonds rated 13th among MLB position players at the end of the 1999 season, before any of this mess came up. He also said that Bonds may be rated among the top five players ever, again, in 1999 before 2001 and on ever happened. I put a great deal of stock in this assesment because it is one of the last objective ones probably ever given. Since then, people either completely write him off, or bend over backwards to defend him.

Either way, he had an awesome Series. I just could not believe, at the time, that the Angels won. Going into Game 6 I thought the Giants had it in the bag.

Comment

I wonder what kind of great Series guys like Ruth or Mantle would have put up if they'd had the "help" Barry did.
                        "Hey Mr. McGraw! Can I pitch to-day?"

Comment

Originally posted by Victory Faust View Post
                          I wonder what kind of great Series guys like Ruth or Mantle would have put up if they'd had the "help" Barry did.
                          I wonder how good a world series Bonds would have had if he had Gehrig or Mantle hitting behind him.

baseball doesn't occur in a vacuum...and that quote is not realistic since the game is so different and technology and medicine is different.

Ruth may not have used but neither did any pitchers.

why not ask the same question how good would Koufax have been if medical science was what it is?

how good would Smokey Joe have been if Tommy John surgery was around.

or what about if some day ALS is cured and some player who is cured plays a long time. Will we be on this site arguing that Gehrig was better because he wasn't cured? No!

different eras had different sets of rules, norms, and accepted practices. They also had different technologies.

how good would Ruth have been if he used steroids? who knows? are we using the context that everyone in his era would be able to use? then thinking about we would have to imagine because of the dominance already achieved by Ruth that a doped Ruth would be met by doped pitchers who would have no choice in order to compete. Thus, the effect would not be that much.

using the statement how good would ruth and maris be with "help" leaves many questions. how good would Ruth be against a 5 man rotation? how well would Ruth bat against specialized pitchers? how good would Ruth play in home stadiums where its over 300 down the line?

on the other hand how well would Ruth play in stadiums that are all under 420 to CF. and how good would Ruth play if the pitching seemed weaker due to expansion

how good would Ruth play if he played in a league that was more diverse because of no segregation and years of player development in other countries including those in Latin America?

how would Ruth's numbers have been different if hounded by today's NY media and having every one of his exploits put on youtube and discussed for days on TV by pundits on shows like PTI and Around the Horn?

the league is not the same....deal with it.
                          "Batting stats and pitching stats do not indicate the quality of play, merely which part of that struggle is dominant at the moment."

-Bill James

Comment

Originally posted by sturg1dj View Post
                            the league is not the same....deal with it.

Bonds would have never come close to his numbers if he had not cheated and turned himself into a melon-headed android.

Deal with it.

Comment

Originally posted by sturg1dj View Post
                              Barry did have the greatest season of anyone at 37...but I think that the argument that he must have cheated because the average player has a sharp decline at that age is wrong since many of the greats had fine seasons at the age of 37.

so stop saying that Bonds should have been declining, there is precedence of players having big seasons nearing 40. Bonds had the best...but so what, its not like its unheard of.

Okay, you're right -- all these players did have great years at age 37.

But how many of them had their greatest seasons -- far, far greater than anything they'd ever done -- after age 37?

But I'm not going to waste time on this tired argument again. If you're still arguing for Barry Bonds at this stage, there's not much I'm going to say to convince you otherwise.

Barry Bonds wiill be remembered as he deserves to be: with a big, fat red

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X