Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Second Base Coach
    replied
    On July 4 1998, the Los Angeles Dodgers gave away struggling corner infielder Paul Konerko AND Dennys Reyes to the Cincinnati Reds for proven closer Jeff Shaw.

Not to be outdone, the Reds traded Konerko to the White Sox later that year for Mike Cameron.

Shaw earned 15 million dollars for four years worth of work with the Dodgers. He pitched pretty well (129 saves), but never made the post season.

The Reds got one year out of Cameron and was part of the Ken Griffey Jr. deal.

So the Reds turned Jeff Shaw into Ken Griffey Junior and the Dodgers are still watching Paul Konerko hit home runs for the White Sox 11 years after Jeff Shaw retired.

Nice.... as a Dodgers fan, this one still irks me. In fact every trigger pulled in 1998 was a mistake (Mike Piazza trade, et al.)

Leave a comment:

• Imapotato
    replied
    Worse trade that never was

Hughie Jennings wanted to trade Ty Cobb to Cleveland for Elmer Flick straight up

Nap Lajoie said no

Leave a comment:

• EdTarbusz
    replied
    Originally posted by Imapotato View Post
    Ok,

Just want to put my 2 cents in here...

You can't use the Pirates trade, nor the Rusie-Mathewson trade.
    Or the McGraw dismantling of the 1901 Orioles

You can't even use the Lajoie to Cleveland trade

It has to be between 2 ownership groups and/or Gms

Therefore I submit IMHO the worst trade of all time

Bartolo Colon to the Expos for Brandon Phillips, Grady Sizemore and Cliff Lee

There were 2 other players involved, but really...who cares
    The casual fans in Cleveland were going crazy over that trade, insisting that the Indians got ripped off and should have been re-signing Colon.

Leave a comment:

• 9RoyHobbsRF
    replied
    J Sanchez for M Cabrera

Leave a comment:

• GiambiJuice
    replied
    Pirates trading Jose Bautista to the Blue Jays for a PTBNL (ended up being Robinzon Díaz) is going to go down as one of the all time worst.

Leave a comment:

• ol' aches and pains
    replied
    Originally posted by Imapotato View Post

Gotta admit, that one's a stinker.

Leave a comment:

• Imapotato
    replied
    Ok,

Just want to put my 2 cents in here...

You can't use the Pirates trade, nor the Rusie-Mathewson trade.
    Or the McGraw dismantling of the 1901 Orioles

You can't even use the Lajoie to Cleveland trade

It has to be between 2 ownership groups and/or Gms

Therefore I submit IMHO the worst trade of all time

There were 2 other players involved, but really...who cares

Leave a comment:

• Paul Wendt
    replied
    Doyle Alexander 1987

Originally posted by Buzzaldrin View Post
    Sorry to double post, but been doing some digging- as to Alexander's two no-decisions that fall- on September 27th he gave up one earned run in 10 and 2/3 innings in an eventual 13 inning win over the Blue Jays, cutting their lead to 2.5 games. I seriously don't think he was relying on his teams runs to win games. Actually, I can't find his other no-decision; too hung over to search deep- anyone else?
    Doyle Alexander 1987 game log (bb-ref)
    Alexander's first game with Detroit was a no-decision, 4 runs in six innings. He won the next eight before the no-decision described here and won the last one.

Runs: 4 0 4 0 1 0 0 2 0 *2 3 -- *1 earned; sum 16 runs, 15 earned
    Inns : 6 8 7 9 7 9 7 8 9 10 7 -- plus four "thirds"; sum 88-1/3 innings

bold marks three days rest, otherwise four days

He was a bust in the playoff: two starts, nine innings, ten runs.

Leave a comment:

• RuthMayBond
    replied
    Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
    Maybe, but he probably could have won 11...
    That would only help if he would have 11 MORE wins than an average pitcher. I'm hoping an average pitcher would have won more than zero. Actually if he won eleven, he might have lost 11 and he WOULD have been only an average pitcher that year (which is kinda suggested by ERA+)

Leave a comment:

• ol' aches and pains
    replied
    Originally posted by RuthMayBond View Post
    He wouldn't have. I'm guessing he got a little more run support on a team with Cepeda. Mays, Alou, Davenport, Haller ...
    Maybe, but he probably could have won 11...

Leave a comment:

• RuthMayBond
    replied
    Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
    True, but the point of my post was the last sentence: Pierce won 16 games for the Giants in 1962, and the White Sox finished 11 games out of 1st. place.

If he had won those 16 games for the White Sox... .
    He wouldn't have. I'm guessing he got a little more run support on a team with Cepeda. Mays, Alou, Davenport, Haller ...

Leave a comment:

• ol' aches and pains
    replied
    Originally posted by Paul Wendt View Post
    Eddie Fisher was a good pitcher, including fourth AL MVP while playing for the White Sox in 1964.

In 1962 he pitched 182 innings at ERA+ 127; compare Pierce 162 innings at 108 for the Giants. His career was ahead and Pierce's career was behind.
    True, but the point of my post was the last sentence: Pierce won 16 games for the Giants in 1962, and the White Sox finished 11 games out of 1st. place.

If he had won those 16 games for the White Sox... When the team you root for only wins the pennant every 40 years or so, you tend to speculate like this. I would prefer the 16 wins to the higher ERA+.

Leave a comment:

• Iron Jaw
    replied
    Originally posted by Paul Wendt View Post
    Eddie Fisher was a good pitcher, including fourth AL MVP while playing for the White Sox in 1964.
    Make that 1965 when he was 4th. '64 was a good season for him, but '65 was amazing.

Coming out of the pen he pitched in 82 games, threw over 165 innings, saved 24, had a W-L record of 15-7, fanned 90, and had an ERA of 2.40. Fisher, along with Hoyt Wilhelm and Bob Locker, made up a tremendous trio of relievers that season.

He also greatly helped the Orioles in 1966, when he came over in a trade for Jerry Adair. Teamed with Stu Miller, Moe Drabowsky, rookie Eddie Watt (who started a few that season too), and Dick Hall, the Oriole bullpen bailed out the oft-ailing starting staff that season with long relief stints in their World Championship season.

Leave a comment:

• Paul Wendt
    replied

In 1962 he pitched 182 innings at ERA+ 127; compare Pierce 162 innings at 108 for the Giants. His career was ahead and Pierce's career was behind.

Leave a comment:

• Iron Jaw
    replied
    Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
    Eddie Fisher was never the same after he divorced Elizabeth Taylor.
    But he was a heck of a good relief pitcher...........who could also sing!

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X