Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill James Answers All Your Baseball Questions

Link
    Last edited by csh19792001; 04-02-2008, 06:47 PM.

Though the link seems to have changed, I'd prefer Bill Burgess answers all your baseball questions
    Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
    Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

Originally posted by RuthMayBond View Post
      Though the link seems to have changed, I'd prefer Bill Burgess answers all your baseball questions
      Ok, fixed it.

Thanks, buddy.

Comment

Notice he didn't say WHICH DiMaggio is in the top 10 defensively
        Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.

Comment

Notice he didn't say WHICH DiMaggio is in the top 10 defensively
          That would be Joe DiMaggio - one of the greatest center fielders of all time. I do note, however, that he left out Hap Felsch, another one of the greats.

Comment

Originally posted by Proctor, CF View Post
            That would be Joe DiMaggio - one of the greatest center fielders of all time. I do note, however, that he left out Hap Felsch, another one of the greats.
            Ah, two overrated defensive CF (at least if you talk career value)

Comment

Well, then. With Felsch regarded by some, including Ruth, as better than even the great Tris Speaker in the field - and Joey D regarded widely as the best of the Golden Age - who and how many fielded better and how do you figure?
              Last edited by Proctor, CF; 04-03-2008, 03:41 AM.

Comment

A buddy of mine interviewed Bill James for SOSH back in '05...mostly by email, but also in person. He asked me for potential questions and I provided quite a few, but I don't think any of them made it to the man himself.

http://p086.ezboard.com/fsonsofsamho...picID=21.topic
                "I throw him four wide ones, then try to pick him off first base." - Preacher Roe on pitching to Musial

Comment

Who decides when earned merit ends and overrating begins and then some how prove thats the case. Where is the line and can we all see it.

So if we read at times about how good Joe was on defense, considered one of the best he's overrated. So if some believe brother Dom and some others were better and it could be true, those that say Joe was one of the best are overrating him.

I've found one pattern on many boards, Joe's fielding, overrated, the streak a fluke and even at times his hitting. Just because he's from New York with all the media that seems to mean he got too much press, he wasn't as good as they made him out to be.

Double edge sword being from the big city, you can get lots of press and praise and on the other hand your critics can say it was not all earned.

I should add the above not meant to single out any poster, just speaking in general terms.
                  Last edited by SHOELESSJOE3; 04-03-2008, 05:47 AM.

Comment

Well, then. With Felsch regarded by some, including Ruth, as better than even the great Tris Speaker in the field - and Joey D regarded widely as the best of the Golden Age - who and how many fielded better and how do you figure?
                    Felsch MIGHT have been good per game or during his time, but how can his career be anywhere near the best? 1,921 putouts was a poor five years for Mays. Koufax is regarded as the best pitcher by some but that doesn't make it so. I'll let you tell me how Felsch's career was better than Speaker and Joey D's was better than Mays (and Ashburn, and his brother Dom), not with just anecdotal stuff.

Comment

If you don't believe what so many had to say about the great Joe Dimaggio, how can I expect you to believe what was said about Happy Felsch?

It seems to me that you made a post recently on great right fielders, based largely on your own personal observations. Why are your personal observations more valuable than greats who have played the game? When Babe Ruth says that Hap Felsch was an even better ball hawk, and had an even better arm, than Tris Speaker - that's something to pay attention to. When fans, peers & experts who saw Joe DiMaggio play, speak of his fielding greatness - that too is something to respect.

Sure, you can use longevity to assail greats who had relatively short careers, but toward what end? Is Mariah Carey really greater than Elvis, and someday to be greater than The Beatles? By some statistical calculations that (over)weigh longevity, I suppose. I'd rather listen to the music, than read the stats on it.

Comment

If you don't believe what so many had to say about the great Joe Dimaggio, how can I expect you to believe what was said about Happy Felsch?
                        You have a chance with Joe, but Felsch is really pushing it

<Why are your personal observations more valuable than greats who have played the game?>

Some of the greats are better at playing than evaluating (look at some of their all-time lists)

<When fans, peers & experts who saw Joe DiMaggio play, speak of his fielding greatness - that too is something to respect.>

I respect it, I'm just tired of the "DiMaggio never had to dive for a ball, and he never threw to the wrong base"

<Is Mariah Carey really greater than Elvis, and someday to be greater than The Beatles?>

That's what some peers say

Comment

Would you say my chances are greater with Joe, or with Mariah? I hope you say Mariah, unless of course we're talking Baseball.

Comment

Would you say my chances are greater with Joe, or with Mariah? I hope you say Mariah, unless of course we're talking Baseball.
                            I would say I'm not qualified to rate Mariah. The Beatles and Elvis were overrated too (very poor league)

Comment

I would say I'm not qualified to rate Mariah. The Beatles and Elvis were overrated too (very poor league)
                              You're scaring me.

I guess Felsch has no chance with you. But as The Babe himself observed: "Felsch was a greater ball-hawk than Speaker and what an arm he had".

DiMaggio is more like The Beatles I guess. A matter of taste.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X