A-Rod or Griffey at peak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A-Rod or Griffey at peak?

if injury was not a factor who would you rather have at their peak....Ken Griffey, Jr. or Alex Rodriguez?
    Alex Rodriguez
    61.11%
    Ken Griffey, Jr.
    38.89%
    "Batting stats and pitching stats do not indicate the quality of play, merely which part of that struggle is dominant at the moment."

-Bill James

The Mariner's seemed to appreciate having both of them at the same time!

I imagine most people are going to go with A-Rod here, and that might be who I end up with, but it really should be closer than it will end up.

A-Rod is still in the middle of his peak, whereas Griffey is past his prime.

But if you stop and take a minute to remember his early days, you will remember that Griffey WAS the A-Rod of his day. And since this is about their peak, and not career (i.e. Griffey's injuries...), I feel like I want to think about this a little before I decide.

Comment

--As hitters they were pretty similar. Getting that out of a SS trumps getting it from a CF.

Comment

but remember Griffey was one of the best at CF

A-Rod was no slouch at SS...but if we are talking peak with A-rod then which do you choose? peak with Texas as a SS or peak with Yanks as a 3b?
        "Batting stats and pitching stats do not indicate the quality of play, merely which part of that struggle is dominant at the moment."

-Bill James

Comment

I'll take Alex Rodriguez. Griffey was a tremendous player at his peak, but Alex Rodriguez is actually a superior offensive player (when you take into account the greater value, point for point, of OBP and base stealing) with the ability to play a fine shortstop.
          "In the end it all comes down to talent. You can talk all you want about intangibles, I just don't know what that means. Talent makes winners, not intangibles. Can nice guys win? Sure, nice guys can win - if they're nice guys with a lot of talent. Nice guys with a little talent finish fourth and nice guys with no talent finish last." --Sandy Koufax

Comment

I have a feeling A-Rod will dominate...I wonder how the voting would differ if I asked who you would rather watch play in their prime?

-Bill James

Comment

the funny thing is that in Seattle A-Rod batted #2

imagine if Seattle could have signed A-Rod and kept Griffey then got Ichiro....hmm

of course there was no way that would have happened

-Bill James

Comment

a-rod although Griffey had more popularity I'd say.

Comment

A-Rod 15 year peak: average season
                  .305/.390/.576, 149 G, 116 R, 41 HR, 121 RBI, 20 SB (@80%), 5.0 WAA, 7.3 WAR

Griffey 10 year peak: average season
                  .299/.386/.590, 140 G, 101 R, 40 HR, 113 RBI, 14 SB (@74%), 5.0 WAA, 6.8 WAR

So basically, they were pretty much the equal players during their peaks. The difference is that Alex did it for literally 50% longer than Griffey did. This one is really no contest if we consider how long the peaks lasted. Even if we just look at 10 year peaks, A-Rod squeaks by.

But let's be super nice to the Kid and just look at 7 year peaks, because that's where Griffey really shines...

Griffey 1993-1999 average season
                  .297/.387/.613, 107 R, 44 HR, 115 RBI, 7.0 WAR

A-Rod 2001-2007 average season
                  .304/.400/.591, 125 R, 47 HR, 130 RBI, 8.0 WAR

...It's still Alex.
                  Last edited by GiambiJuice; 01-02-2015, 06:57 AM.
                  My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
                  2. Barry Bonds
                  3. Ty Cobb
                  4. Ted Williams
                  5. Willie Mays
                  6. Alex Rodriguez
                  7. Hank Aaron
                  8. Honus Wagner
                  9. Lou Gehrig
                  10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

Man GJ, you bringing these old threads are very good. I cannot do it right now, but I wonder if there's any thread on defense-only HOF. Because all the love Yadi Molina is getting right now.

Oh, and I take A-Rod on this one, and hope that the PEDs people avoid bringing the topic. Very doubtful though.

Sent from my Ipad using Tapatalk.
                    "I am not too serious about anything. I believe you have to enjoy yourself to get the most out of your ability."-
                    George Brett

Comment

Originally posted by Yankillaz View Post
                      Man GJ, you bringing these old threads are very good. I cannot do it right now, but I wonder if there's any thread on defense-only HOF. Because all the love Yadi Molina is getting right now.

Oh, and I take A-Rod on this one, and hope that the PEDs people avoid bringing the topic. Very doubtful though.
                      I imagine that this thread was started in the "a lot of folks didn't know ARod was using steroids in HS and all through his career" good old days.

Griffey beats him easy once you take away the syringes.

ARod and a Syringe.jpeg

Why would you hope that one of the most notorious and scummiest drug users would get a pass in comparing him to Griffey? Maybe the trick is to stop doing player performance comparisons of known users to players who are not known users.
                      Last edited by drstrangelove; 01-02-2015, 06:14 PM.
                      "It's better to look good, than be good."

Comment

Remember when ARod was going to break all of Bonds' tainted records and save the record book?

Yeah, that was fun...
                        3 6 10 21 29 31 35 41 42 44 47

Comment

Griffey because Pay-Roid was a "fictional" baseball player if you will, in that we don't know what he really would have been like without the "juice." The "real" player was a good baseball player no doubt, but probably not as good as Griffey imvho.

:twocents:

Comment

Originally posted by GiambiJuice View Post
                            A-Rod 15 year peak: average season
                            .305/.390/.576, 149 G, 116 R, 41 HR, 121 RBI, 20 SB (@80%), 5.0 WAA, 7.3 WAR

Griffey 10 year peak: average season
                            .299/.386/.590, 140 G, 101 R, 40 HR, 113 RBI, 14 SB (@74%), 5.0 WAA, 6.8 WAR

So basically, they were pretty much the equal players during their peaks. The difference is that Alex did it for literally 50% longer than Griffey did. This one is really no contest if we consider how long the peaks lasted. Even if we just look at 10 year peaks, A-Rod squeaks by.

But let's be super nice to the Kid and just look at 7 year peaks, because that's where Griffey really shines...

Griffey 1993-1999 average season
                            .297/.387/.613, 107 R, 44 HR, 115 RBI, 7.0 WAR

A-Rod 2001-2007 average season
                            .304/.400/.591, 125 R, 47 HR, 130 RBI, 8.0 WAR

...It's still Alex.

It's actually closer than I would've guessed. I would have thought that the gap between ARod and Junior would've been greater.

Comment

I think all the stolen bases from A-Rod puts him over the top. It is too bad Griffey didn't run more, he had the speed.... adding in that SS is more valuable than CF plus a slightly higher OBP and I gotta go with Alex.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X